Grrr picked up a nail in my Avon Storm

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I noticed Friday that the bike felt funny. I was about home so I kept going and I was in a hurry as we were heading out of town as soon as I got home. So I just pulled the bike into the pole barn, tossed the GPS in the truck and we headed out.

I forgot about it over the weekend and hop on the ST this morning and push it out of the pole barn. I notice that it is not rolled very easy. I then remember that it felt a little funny on the way home last Friday. So I get off and put it up on the centerstand and grab my air gauge. Sure enough the rear is down to 10 PSI. I grab the air line and fill it back up to 42 and slowy spin the wheel. There it is. Looks like a finishing nail (something small) in the rear tire. It is just on the right side of the centerline of the tire. If I was using ride-on it would have most likely sealed it as the nail is 1/2-3/4" from the centerline of the tire.

I am not going to bother with plugging or patching it. The tire has about 7,500 miles on it and if I feel where the wear bars are it is almost smooth. I was going to try and make it last until the Storm-2 tires were out but now it looks like I can't wait until October. Now to find someone that has a Storm in stock. I sent a message to Two Brothers to see if he has one. I am burning great riding days now with a flat tire. :mad:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Glad to hear it was near the bars... you could plug and ride until you get the replacement; but, if it is already past the bars... I'd just wait...

IMHO: This is a good reason to get your replacements in before you find out you're pass the bars and into the cords too! Well it would be normally... now it would have really saved you! :D

Sweet that you tried pushing it out instead of just hopping on and riding!

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Glad to hear it was near the bars... you could plug and ride until you get the replacement; but, if it is already past the bars... I'd just wait...

IMHO: This is a good reason to get your replacements in before you find out you're pass the bars and into the cords too! Well it would be normally... now it would have really saved you! :D

Sweet that you tried pushing it out instead of just hopping on and riding!
At 10 PSI I would have felt something really wrong as I made the left turn coming out of the pole barn to go down my driveway. I don't always push the bike out either. Normally I back it into a spot in my barn where I can jsut ride out. This time I was in a hurry to get going on our trip so I just pull straight in and grabbed what I needed.

I know I don't check my tires as often as I should (bad Dave) but they are always the same PSI. It is very rare that I have had to add or drop a pound or two here or there mainly due to temp changes. I didn't notice any handling issues until Friday on the way home. I will check the pressure when I get back home to see where it is at after sitting all day. I would hate to get out somewhere and have all the air gone. Two Brother's sent me a PM that he can get the tire to me by Wednesday. I want to check with a couple other places before placing the order but that sounds good and price is in line with what I have been finding so far. Even if I had the tire on hand I don't know if I would have much time to swap it out until this weekend. I just don't want to sit here for a couple weeks waiting on one. I have read that from time to time there are shipping delays due to limited supplies.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I ordered a Rear Storm from Two Brothers. It was here the next day. I picked up a nail with only 4500 miles on mine. Had it patched. But I am taking a long trip soon. So I chose to put on a new one. It is in the garage. Will put it back on when I need it.

STOC #
Just a bit of info for the future pertaining to Avons... they are the only tire (tyre) manufacturer for motorcycles that has a road hazard protection policy with each new tire. It is prorated, I believe, to the tread depth, which won't help you in this instance, but if you get another nail with having significant tread depth left, you get a new tire. Just thought I'd share as I know this from experience several times from my days of my old 1150RT.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Just a bit of info for the future pertaining to Avons... they are the only tire (tyre) manufacturer for motorcycles that has a road hazard protection policy with each new tire. It is prorated, I believe, to the tread depth, which won't help you in this instance, but if you get another nail with having significant tread depth left, you get a new tire. Just thought I'd share as I know this from experience several times from my days of my old 1150RT.
I had read that they did this. It combined with the fact that I like the performance of these tires means I will be sticking with them. As you said it doesn't help much in this case as I am down to the wear bars but it is a nice insurance policy.

GT-2

R.I.P. - 2014-07-11
Bike
'91 ST1100
STOC #
How do you get it covered? I had a nail sideways thru the center to the sidewall on a new (280 miles) rear tire. The dealer were I bought it did not say anything about it. Was going tomorrow to get a replacement.

STOC #
How do you get it covered? I had a nail sideways thru the center to the sidewall on a new (280 miles) rear tire. The dealer were I bought it did not say anything about it. Was going tomorrow to get a replacement.
It is standard on every Avon Motorcycle tire, it is not an additional purchase at the time of sale. So, just go to your dealer where you bought it and tell them you have a nail, no matter where it is on the tire and they will then contact Avon to get it replaced. Avon's offices here in the US is on the West Coast, so best to do anything about it per PST.

I used this several times when I had the Azaros on my RT.

If you talk with a parts guy who doesn't know what the heck you are talking about, it is best to call Avon directly at their contact info via their website.

GT-2

R.I.P. - 2014-07-11
Bike
'91 ST1100
STOC #
Covered by warranty and the great help at Sport Tour in Sharonville,Oh.
Checked out avonmoto.com went to Experience and a form was in downloads. Filled it out and took it back to Howard @ Sport-Tour and walked out with a new tire and only cost mounting & balance.
Cool! :)

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Well the new tire got here today. Thanks Two Brothers!!!

I just got done mounting and balancing the tire. Tomorrow I think I will head over to the dealer and see if I can pick up a set of rear pads. They are getting down there. I would hate to put old pads back on. There is enough life left in them if I have to but I would rather swap them out. Time to go through the scrub in procedures yet again.

Oh the nail. It was a ringed nail that was about 1 1/2" long. It kind of went in at an angle.

Top Bottom