Grrrrrrrrr trying to remove Delay Valve assembly on front right fork

There are 2 bolts holding it in place. I've removed the lower but the upper is obstructed by a brake hose (bloody designers).

How do I remove this upper bolt???

I need to remove the fork legs.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
There should be a tab that holds the brake line in position that is bolted on. You remove the bolt and then can flex the hose over enough to gain access to the bolt.

OP
OP
Britman
Thanks.

Shame this isn't mentioned in the much praised Honda workshop manual.

That area on my bike is covered in dirt laden fork oil :(

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
As many times as I have had the forks off I never noticed this problem. Are you using a socket or a spanner? I seem to recall these are 8 or 10 mm bolts I remove with a socket with no interference from the hose(s).

OP
OP
Britman
As many times as I have had the forks off I never noticed this problem. Are you using a socket or a spanner? I seem to recall these are 8 or 10 mm bolts I remove with a socket with no interference from the hose(s).
Spanner. The obstructive hose does not allow a socket. BUT once I take a look at the "tab" and move the brake hose hopefuly the problem will be eradicated.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Spanner. The obstructive hose does not allow a socket. BUT once I take a look at the "tab" and move the brake hose hopefuly the problem will be eradicated.
My bad. I just got home and looked at mine. The hose does not allow use of a socket but a spanner fits. You shouldn't have to move the hose at all. You don't have to remove the bolts all the way, just back them out of the threaded holes in the fork leg. The hose is far enough away from the bolt heads to allow this.

The legs drop or slide out of the triple clamps after loosening the three clamp bolts per leg. No probleemo.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Do the fork legs drop down to remove? Fingers crossed so I don't have to remove risers.
Hmmn. I don't have risers so not sure here but if you are going to remove the fork caps you might have to remove the risers to get the hex key into the top of the caps to loosen them. You loosen the top triple clamp pinch bolts then crack the fork caps loose. The loosen the two lower pinch bolts and slide the legs down and out.

OP
OP
Britman
My bad. I just got home and looked at mine. The hose does not allow use of a socket but a spanner fits. You shouldn't have to move the hose at all. You don't have to remove the bolts all the way, just back them out of the threaded holes in the fork leg. The hose is far enough away from the bolt heads to allow this.

The legs drop or slide out of the triple clamps after loosening the three clamp bolts per leg. No probleemo.
I have the problem bolt undone as far as I can and the head butts up against the brake hose.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Doesn't the hose mount unbolt above the bolt you are trying to remove? If not can't you pull the valve out along with the bolt head as the bolt unscrews until it come all the way off? Your loks different than mine but I am at work and can't look at my bike.

Dan

OP
OP
Britman
Hallelujah!

A bit more fiddling and the bolt released itself from its hole and the Valve assembly is off the right fork.

The forks are off - that was very easy. Undid the 3 pinch bolts and down they slid with alacrity.

My Sonic Springs arrive Monday. I drive the forks and springs to http://www.gmdatl.com/ on Tuesday for them to replace the seals and oil in both forks along with putting in the Sonic Springs.

I'd like to do it myself but don't have a suitable work place to do it. Anywho these guys are the experts.

Top Bottom