GSXR1000 DIRT BIKE!

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Too much.... Money? Yes.

As a kid, we quickly grew tired of 125cc dirt bikes. A friend bought a CB500 & we did nothing more than stick knobbly tyres on it. That cost no more than £300 all in.

Later, some of us learnt how to weld by retrofitting a used '92 Sierra Cosworth engine (complete with MT75 4x4 drive train) into an outdoor go-kart frame. We had a wooden block under the throttle and added a wheelie bar because the damn thing would pull a wheelie in 4th gear. It could powerslide on dirt in a straight line too.

220bhp in a frame I could lift with 1 hand as a scrawny 12yr old.... those were the days....

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
When I was about 15 I had an older friend that raced Karts. I talked him into building a small minibike with one of his race kart engines, a Mac 91B ported and running dual Tillotsen (sp?)carbs running on straight alky (ethanol). It produced close to 30hp at about 12k rpm. That thing was absolutely frightening to ride. As soon as that engine came on the pipe (on to its powerband) it would immediately loft the wheel at about 35mph. I don't know how fast it was as no one was brave enough to find out. It would absolutely destroy a friends Honda Cb350 in a drag race. I remember as you began hitting high speed 50+ it would start a scary speed wobble. We took it in the dirt and it would shoot massive rooster tails of dirt much like this GSXR dirtbike. We eventually abandoned it as it was almost unrideable. Ohhh, those were the days!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The opening of the video evokes a question I've had: what's with the obsession of revving the engine against the rev limiter?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
The opening of the video evokes a question I've had: what's with the obsession of revving the engine against the rev limiter?
I thinks that's just needle swing when powered on, engine nut running. Note that it goes from 0 to redline and back to 0.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I thinks that's just needle swing when powered on, engine nut running. Note that it goes from 0 to redline and back to 0.
No, not the start-up instrument check. I'm talking about when he starts the engine. And I hear sport-bike nuts do it a lot.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
No, not the start-up instrument check. I'm talking about when he starts the engine. And I hear sport-bike nuts do it a lot.
Gotcha, I only watched it, didn't listen. I guess it's similar to how some harley riders rev their engines all the time.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
Wow, thats way cool.. Would like to see it lead to a constructors liter bike dirt bike champ series. That would be wild...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Yes, he does, but I can't help get the feeling that he's not going to be alive long enough to celebrate his 30th birthday.
Being in command or being reckless will make the difference. But then Evil Knievil kinda defied that.

Top Bottom