GTR1400

Hello

Haven’t been here for a while. In the time away I regrettably sold my ST and got into adv bikes. The time has come to return to a sports touring bike (circumstances) and because of the limited availability of well kept ST1300’s here in the UK, I’ve been looking at GTR’s as an alternative.

I was hoping some other previous/current/dual owners of ST’s and GTR’s could convey their thoughts from one bike to the other.

One thing of many positives I admired about the ST, was the virtually vibe free engine. Conversely I never felt the ST handled well at walking speeds or less. Many times I have read the Concours/GTR slow speed handling is awful. Odd this, as having ridden the ZZR, I was struck by just how slowly it will travel without fighting the bars. The GTR is obviously different.

Reliability... I would like to hear about this too.

Thanks in advance

Ed

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I've had both (an '05 ST and a '10 Connie)and when I came back to sport-touring I chose the ST. I did like you- went to a Super Tenere after an ST, a Goldwing, and the Connie.
The Concours is no different at slow speed handling than the ST.
The Concours is a rocketship! It had a lot of the electronic do-dads that I wish the ST had. But the choice really boiled down to my intended use.

I wanted a sport-TOURING bike, not a SPORT-touring bike.

I did have some problems with my KIPASS system, the bags are mounted higher and I had to mount the bike while standing on the peg to keep from booting my bags all the time. I felt the depth of knowlege on this site was greater than the COG sites-- and I have used it thankfully!

Either bike will take you cross country-- I felt the ST would do it better.

st1300doug

Larry's Motor Sports in Jefferson City, Mo. has a BRAND new-just out of the crate 2014, bright red C14. OUT the door for $9600.00 Just a F.Y.I.

If you can't buy an ST1300 in the UK, why not buy in the US and ship it to UK? I was quoted $600 for a Roll-on-roll-off, from Elizabeth, NJ to Hamburg, Germany. May be somewhat less to UK. Google Schumacher Cargo. Of course import taxes to the EU may be considerable. I was just interested in bringing my bike over there for a one month vacation. Shipping back was the killer quote that made renting there more reasonable.

You lucky, lucky people.
Those prices are amazing, have you seen that Z650? I think I'm moving Stateside.
Upt'North.
Gas is $2.29 a gallon today at Citgo...Premium is under $3 for the first time in several years.
I think most people by the ST's for the V4, what about a VFR? it would be much lighter around town and still tour.

hey Vern, here,, I just purchased a 2018 Connie 14, I traded in my 2009 Yamaha Venture V-4 touring Bike which I owned for almost 10 years, before that I had a 05' ST 1300 & a KLR -650, I'm divorced now, & I wanted something, lighter, faster, better Brakes, better suspension, electric wind screen, Without being over ran with gadgets, not complicated. I do not care about the Lack of Cruz.
So far, I love this bike , It handles great, At speed & @ slow speed, I'm 5'11" 210lbs I put 2" risors, & Shark skin Grip Puppies. After Xmas I'm adding a trunk, To me it is better balanced the ST , It seems Much more refined, Motor is just crazy fun, Torque is all over it.
Not sure what all the complaining is about regarding handling, My venture weighed in @ 825lbs, so 670lbs feels like a Scooter
I wish the info screen was alittle easier to read in the sunlight, & the side stand was alittle easier to access with my boot heel. One of the best things I did for ride experience was I bought a New Shoei NeoTec 2 , Absolutely worth every dollar, My Buddy Sam G. @ Jax Power Sports on Atlantic gave a me an excellent price. which is also where i bought the bike which was also a great deal , it took about 15 minutes to buy it. All Machines have their share of oddities, It has just enough tech stuff to interest me , but not so much like a BMW , GoldWings ,, those are just too Spaceship, too many buttons, too many distractions. When I travel I usually load it on the trailer, load the Kayak, on top of the Subi, & off I go so I don'tdo Iron butt stuff, I love day trips, , that also prevents me from turning a Gazelle into a Pack Mule, & I get to play in the Back waters of whatever State I visit. Also ,, the Headlight is much better than my Venture, & High beam is really good, excellent pattern. there's my opinion on some of the Connie 14's traits. Later Vern,

Top Bottom