GYRO Camera Mount for Motorcycles

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I guess I did? lol

Had the idea to build a GALS (GyroAutoLevellingStabilizer) system a while back, before I even saw the above link!
Now you can buy more intricate gimbals for a few bills, but I wanted to try a simple DIY using an old RC Helicopter tail gyro and servo.

Tried to keep it small and light weight so the entire setup (including a Mobious camera) could be cantilevered off the back rack of the ST for a "3rd person" type perspective.

Started the build last week, and as luck would have it, the weather broke for a few days of test riding this weekend (finally).

[video=youtube_share;AqeRDDnspVk]http://youtu.be/AqeRDDnspVk[/video]

mstrong01

Site Supporter
Bike
96 ST1100
STOC #
I guess I did? lol

Had the idea to build a GALS (GyroAutoLevellingStabilizer) system a while back, before I even saw the above link!
Now you can buy more intricate gimbals for a few bills, but I wanted to try a simple DIY using an old RC Helicopter tail gyro and servo.
Just found this thread, that looks AWESOME! For someone who knows nothing of gyro's (except the sandwich) and servo's, I have some questions. About how much would it cost to build one? Do you have plans available, or are you building more?

I did a little google searching, saw some sites that showed C+ programming was involved?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Just found this thread, that looks AWESOME! For someone who knows nothing of gyro's (except the sandwich) and servo's, I have some questions. About how much would it cost to build one? Do you have plans available, or are you building more?

I did a little google searching, saw some sites that showed C+ programming was involved?
About $115 for that gyro on amazon.
The PicAxe (computer chip) is about $2.50 (program in basic)
Servo maybe $15
plus the fiddly bits to mount it and the code for the PicAxe.

PIC chips are C Assembler etc.
picAXE is a PIC chip preprogrammed with a boot loader and don't need a programmer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom