Hammock camping

me put up some eyebolts in the living room
So Just pick a couple studs and go at it, all the horror stories about walls pulling in with the tons of stress from the ropes/straps are just that. I am hammock poor and always wanted to try it but not much of a sheet rocker so passed on the ideal

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
So Just pick a couple studs and go at it, all the horror stories about walls pulling in with the tons of stress from the ropes/straps are just that. I am hammock poor and always wanted to try it but not much of a sheet rocker so passed on the ideal
I actually put them in the celling a few inches from the wall. There was some stuff in the way on the wall.

I've heard the stories too. I'm not worried about it. I've had a sky chair hanging on my enclosed patio for years on one eyebolt being pulled straight down.

I can't see an eyebolt pulling out of the stud before something in the suspension system would break. No sheet rock work needed, find the center of the stud and drill your pilot hole, screw it in. No worries.

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Forgot to attach this...
http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

you can see what forces are being applied.

never saw this before and if the values are anywhere close to accurate looks like a stud and an eye bolt would be adequate for my weight, From all the warnings on HF I would have thought the walls would come down. I am sure there is a long winded math geek discussion on these values on HF but they generally make my head hurt :eek::

I've had a sky chair hanging on my enclosed patio for years on one eyebolt being pulled straight down
I would have thought this would be a no brainer with the force being perpendicular to the joist which may or may not be a 2x4 (probably not more likely a 2x6) but then I am not a carpenter either. Wasn't concerned with the eye bolt pulling out of the stud more like pulling the stud out of the header bowing the sheet rock and having to fix a bunch of cracks. Thought about scabbing a 2 by against the wall bridging a couple 3 studs but that would not go well with the owner. Guess I could do a dry run in a shed out back but that would only prove that the shed walls could or could not take it

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
^^^
I was joking with jonjonboo. (only)
If you have any real life experiences with rhinos, cape buffalo, and tigers maybe you could educate me.
My avatar speaks for me.
who would have thought hammock people were so serious, hammocking is nothing to joke about sir :eek:4:

Bike
2007 ST1300
That's a great setup you have going on there, really like the use of the "tarp". I saw on the site for the stand that it comes with a hammock and ridgeline... it would be low but would it be possible to use that ridgeline for a small tarp, just large enough to give you some weather protection?

When you switch to tarp poles will it just be two poles for each end of the tarp?
I tried a tarp over the poles - way too close to hammock.
I tried a tarp over 2 hiking poles - not enough higher, too easy to brush the tarp and get wet from the dew.
If I was using 1 tree & 1 hammock stand pole then I could probably make the tree end enough higher to work fine.
I'll get 2 tarp poles, run a couple of guy lines maybe to keep them stable and the tarp should then be enough higher to work very well.
I would then be able to use 1 hammock stand pole and 1 tarp pole if there was 1 tree I could use for the other end, or use both of each when there are no trees I can use.

I'm trying to get the necessary setup so that I can hang at anywhere I stop regardless of tree availability. There are camp sites with rules about not attaching to any trees or no trees or trees to small to support hammocks, etc.
I want to avoid needing to take a tent & inflatable mat, I just never sleep comfortably on a mat and my hammock is better than my bed.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I ordered some tablecloths to experiment with as far as length and putting a hammock together.
Re the link for the whole setup - yes they use aramid cord for the shrouds and dyneema for the guys. Both are very very strong and relatively non stretchy. If you are going to make your own hammock, consider buying cordura nylon fabric on ebay. Go with UNCOATED fabric because coated will not breathe and might feel damp after some time. If you go with the heavier weights (1000 d is heaviest), sewing more than two thicknesses might be a problem on a home machine. You will probably have to play around with the thread tension. I've seen lightweight ripstop nylon hammocks that can be amazingly low in weight. Sewing this lighter fabric will definitely require playing with thread tension. Again, make sure you get uncoated fabric.

One funny scenario I thought of would be to pitch the hammock w/ poles on damp, soft ground. A light rain overnight might make you sink lower and lower and lower - as the poles push into the earth.....lol.

never saw this before and if the values are anywhere close to accurate looks like a stud and an eye bolt would be adequate for my weight, From all the warnings on HF I would have thought the walls would come down. I am sure there is a long winded math geek discussion on these values on HF but they generally make my head hurt :eek::
Simple trig. Everything is easy once you know how.....

On a different note, I remember reading that in the back country, one is supposed to put all food in a bag and pull it up onto a line stretched between two trees to keep it bear safe. I also saw an article about a momma bear and two cubs who had learned to go after these bags of food. I wonder if said cubs would consider your butt in a hammock to be a tasty morsel for dinner? :bow1:

I wonder if said cubs would consider your butt in a hammock to be a tasty morsel for dinner?
Finding myself in that situation I would probably deserve it, and if they found Dinkie in the same situation they would regret it as he likes White Castles :D

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Wait, Rekoob did I read that right? You won't sleep in the hammock overnight without an UQ? I never had one and used my hammock for years.
lol, in warmer weather I wouldn't think it's an issue but if it's getting colder out I'm going to need something, what did you use to stay warm? just a sleeping bag?.
If I can get away without using an UQ I will, those things are pricy.

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I'm trying to get the necessary setup so that I can hang at anywhere I stop regardless of tree availability. There are camp sites with rules about not attaching to any trees or no trees or trees to small to support hammocks, etc.
This is what I'm shooting for also. Keep us updated on your progress.

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I was good down to about 40 degrees with a good pad in the hammock underneath me and heavy bag. FWIW though I'm a cold sleeper.
Nice, I've heard the wallyworld blue ccf pads do a pretty good job. I don't have one yet but will pick one up if I don't DIY something before it's needed for an overnighter.

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I used 2 blue pads under my body. One length wise, a second cut down a bit and put cross ways for my shoulders and if I roll over.
Good tip, thanks.

Just out of curiosity, what hammock did/are you using?

Bike
2008 ST1300
I have a double hammy from Trek Light Gear with the extenda rope kit they sell. Very comfy! +1 on the suggestion to set it up at home first.

Top Bottom