Hankook V4 -- 30 psi vs 40 psi

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Hankook V4 -- 30 psi vs 40 psi.

I wore out my last MC tire in 4 months. Since I depend on my ST1300a for commuting to work every day now, three rear tire changes a year is a bit annoying. Since I am an engineer, I did a lot of research before I went over to the darkside.

I have read many posts here and found that many of you are using 40 psi so you can get that crisp MC tire feel. So I started out running 40 psi for about two weeks but with the "hard" tire I could feel every bump in the road. The edge of the flat tread becomes very pronounced. This is most noticeable when going slow in an alley way where there is a cement "V" drain in the middle. The bike CG point would suddenly shift when the bike transitions from one outside edge to the other. This would cause a small but pronounced one time wobble that is controllable. Also when changing lanes on a freeway if there is a small step at the joint between lanes or the raised "Botts dots" [lane reflectors] catches on the edge.

There is a patch of road (118 Freeway at Rocky Peak Rd) where Cal Trans moved the lanes and scraped up the dashed lane stripes leaving the long divots on the edge of the lane. This is a long sweeping turn where you need to put your tires into the divots at Freeway speed. With either a MC tire or the hard CT tire the wobble caused by the divots is very un-nerving while leaning over into the long curve. I always had to carefully ride through this spot while to trying to stay out of the divots.

So now I dropped the pressure on the Hankook to 30 psi. Wow what a difference. Yes the tire "feels" a bit mushy but that is how a radial tire is supposed to work. The transition through the alley "V" is no longer pronounced and is only slightly noticeable. But now when I cross over those divots on freeway it is like they are NOT there! I have even tried to get into the worst part of the divots a few times to verify this. The only vibration comes from the hard front tire. The softer rear tire makes for a much smoother ride and the tire has a little longer track so there is more contact with the road. This does create more rolling resistance and my MPG dropped from 42 to 40. After trying other tire pressures I have settled in at 33 psi. [My other ride is a rock Jeep CJ-7 with tires that are at 10 psi. My DRZ400 the tires are kept at 14 psi. So I am very familiar with the advantages of low tire pressure off road on rocky trails and washboard desert roads.] Lower tire pressure makes rough roads feel smooth and has a better grip on the rough stuff!

I am very happy with the Hankook V4. Not just because I will get more miles between tire changes, but also because I my back tire has a wide footprint on the road. Bigger foot print equals more traction and better stopping. If I pull off the pavement the wider track makes for a better floatation on the soft stuff. Every Jeeper knows this. It would be the perfect adventure tire.

Since I can run at a lower pressure the ride is way more comfortable. I do not feel every bump in the road and transitioning over stepped lane edges are no longer a bother. This tire best fits my mode of "Tour" riding. Oh, I have run the soft Hankook fairly fast on the Mulholland snake and Latigo Canyon Road with no trouble at all. But I enjoy the ride better at a slower pace so that I can view the scenery as I pass. It seems that the guys on bikes with MC tires are the ones going over the edge....

This tire will hold twice the weight of a MC tire. I have no fear here because I know there is a 10 to 1 safety factor. Just go into a peddle bicycle shop and look closely at a road tire. Their side walls are paper thin. They run 150 psi and support a 200+ pound rider on a postage stamp size foot print.

We use different tires for different applications. Knobbies for Dirt, Paddles for Sand, Slick and round for Race Track and fast Snakes, and now a Wide flat Radial tires for Touring and Commuting....

Sorry, I digressed. Please post your comments here about your experience on the Car (Touring Radial) tire "soft" vs "hard" [30 psi vs 40 psi], which you prefer and why.

Bike
2006 ST 1300
I just put a Hankook on last week and even though I'm running 40 psi right now, I may drop it a bit to see how much the handling changes.

When I initially mounted the tire I had a small leak in the valve stem that caused the pressure to drop to below 30, I thought it was a little to squirrly for my taste.

Brian

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
I'm running the Hankook V12 EVO. Since running a TPMS montoring system my cold tire pressure is 35 psi. Depending on the temp of the highway my tire pressure will rise to 41psi and riding two up as high as 46 psi. You are right it does ride better with pressure in the 30's. :ds1:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I wore out on V12, now working on a GYTT.
On the Hankook I found I liked mid 30's for pressure, but their was some squirm when opening throttle after a hard corner. The GYTT is the same and I am running 36 at cold.

MrB

Bike
2013 GL1800 F6B
STOC #
I started at 40 on my Goodyear and just didn't like it, it took too much effort to make it go where I wanted to. Didn't like it on 2-lane asphalt or clover leafs. The TPMS showed it up at 45 after riding for a while, now I run it at 31, quickly gets up to 35 or so and is a better ride. (for me).
Regretted the double-dark at first, tire pressure adjustment and some more ride time has me feeling better about it.
I LOVE MY ST!

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
25 to 28 for me and will get the best ride and longest life out of the tire.

My opinion and experiences.

Raymond

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I ran 40 in my Hankook to minimize that wiggle when I accelerated mid-turn. I ran 32 in my GYTT because the sidewall was stiffer and the wiggle was not as pronounced. Ditto with my current Yoko Envigor. 30 solo and 32 2-up or loaded.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Thanks Raymon for your input! I just dropped my tire down to 25 psi. That sluggish feeling you get when putting the ST into a turn is now gone. The bike is more flickable and more comfortable. I have only been at 25 psi for a week and I really like it. I am beginning to forget that there is a car tire under me. Hey do not believe me - try it yourself. Pump your CT up to 40 psi and go ride the roughest paved road you know. Then (let your tires cool off) drop the pressure down to 25 psi and go ride the same route. Then tell us what you think here...

I am still running 42 psi in the front and I am only changing the rear tire pressure.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I started out at 40 psi for the first 4,000 miles and I felt all the idiosyncrasies of having a CT on the back end. Then I started trying other pressures. The drop from 40 to 30 was noticeable. But the change from 30 to 25 was significantly better. I even went down to 20 psi but there was no more improvement. So I went back to 25 psi and have put on another 4,000 very enjoyable miles. There is no wear on the sidewalls only the tread. Too much air will beat you up. Try the soft side it is much more comfortable and you will have more rubber on the road. I ride single up at 200lbs and not much in the saddle bags. The air temp cool in the morning but is 102 degrees when I leave work. I do not go over 80 mph. Got 35,000 miles on this ST. Oh by the way if you are at 25 psi and you end up on a dirt road you will really appreciate the CT more! The ultimate adventure tire. Enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
After 34,830 miles its time for a new rear tire. Was a Hankook V4 now to try a BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2. Most of the miles on the Hankook V4 were at 28 psi. gave a nice ride and had even wear. There was more left side wear than on the right. Gee i did not have to wait for cords to show!

20160325_112702x.jpg

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I never inhaled... ( opps , wrong thread )

Tried the hankook as I was considering pull a trailer... Only ran it for 3k or so. The pressure for me worked well at 28 lbs.
One thing was I just couldn't get use to the tire always trying to climb out of the road grooves from trucks/other vehicles ( dips where tires ride on heavy used roads )

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I never inhaled... ( opps , wrong thread )

Tried the hankook as I was considering pull a trailer... Only ran it for 3k or so. The pressure for me worked well at 28 lbs.
One thing was I just couldn't get use to the tire always trying to climb out of the road grooves from trucks/other vehicles ( dips where tires ride on heavy used roads )
A slight problem I deal with to run a tire that last 3 times longer at half the cost.

Top Bottom