Happiness is a warm tire

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I've seen several posts that suggest you leave a tire in the sun to warm it up which makes it more pliable and cooperative. I didn't have that option (raining) and was going to try my first tire change by hand so I did this. I stood the tire in my laundry sink and filled it with hot water. Went out and got the old tire off and came in and turned the tire 180. Had a cold one and took the tire out of it's bath. I dried the inside well with crappy towels as I was going to use Dyna Beads and didn't think they would work well it were wet. I went with a 160/60 PR2 and was told it may be harder to get on due to it's smaller side wall as opposed to the called for 160/70 for the 1100.
I thought it went on very well. The tire was nice and warm and I used some lube. She spooned on with little effort. I have not tried to spoon a cold tire so I can't compare but given the way it went I will do it again.

:bow1: I was trying to think of way to heat my tire up today!
I'll have to try that! Thanks!
The only tires I have done were cold so far...and a REAL PITA!

Cool, just be sure to dry the inside well. I don't know that the moisture would be bad, all I know is no one adds moisture at a change so why tempt fate.

Leaving it in the sun for an hour is the best way but if it is sunny you should be out riding right. I have also used a little 1500W electric heater with a fan to warm them up.

You guys have fun... please take a ton of pics so I know what I missed... I would have been leaving today after work .. ugh... gotta put this back on top of the to-do list... Sorry I'm not gonna be able to see you guys and gals.. Have a very safe week/weekend.

You guys have fun... please take a ton of pics so I know what I missed... I would have been leaving today after work .. ugh... gotta put this back on top of the to-do list... Sorry I'm not gonna be able to see you guys and gals.. Have a very safe week/weekend.

No more wine for Mellow. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Unless I missed something in this conversatioin. Text book case of reading one thread and posting another.

I like warming mine on the twisties.:D There's a thread somewhere about tie wraps cinched around the tire making installation easier. I'm gonna try that the next time.

Back
Top Bottom