2024 Miles
STOC #

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
You will be well served with that economy unit. Mine had my Goldwing sitting on it all winted a tew years ago. No issue. Just be sure to use security tiedown straps.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Quite a few threads on here for it.

I bought one last year, a few modifications and it's a wonderful thing.

OP
OP
bikerdrumr

bikerdrumr

David
Bike
'15 BMW 1200RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Quite a few threads on here for it.

I bought one last year, a few modifications and it's a wonderful thing.
Oops! I should've done a bit a research here before posting. Sorry.

What modifications did you do? NEVERMIND! Found the post! Thanks!

Dave

Last edited:
Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I have one and use it all the time. I also use it for just a work table for about everything else that is not motorcycle related. I would wait until it goes on sale. I paid $275 for mine and they can be found for $350 or less most of the time.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Go to the Harbor Freight website and sign up for their advertising. They have sales a couple times a year. About a month ago I saw them on for $299. I don't have one, but I think Todd (ToddC) and Jeff (JRob) both have them.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I don't have one, but I think Todd (ToddC) and Jeff (JRob) both have them
Those rich kids! :) Anyways I was thinking about something like this but for the amount of times this would get used, is it really worth the real estate that it covers on the garage floor? If we weren't riding the immortal Honda's, then yes, as most others get more miles up and down on the lift then they do on the highway.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Have one. Love it. No mods. Wait for a sale.......!!! Best tool I own. To save space just park your bike on it when you know you are not riding for a few days.

ToddC

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Be advised that they sell 2 different models, usually at the same price. I've had mine for about 3 years and use it for the ST and the Wing. I'm attaching a picture of the frame construction on the model that I have. My frame is made of "C" channel, where the other model's frame is a "L" shaped piece of angle, not having the top area. I saw the "other" model in the store, and wouldn't feel as good about using it, unless it was beefed up.

Ride Safe
John

image.jpg

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I seemed to have purchased the other model..... It has a much taller main frame leg in an L shape instead of the c channel._20180414_120137.jpg. I put a load on it in this pic....the 1300 is on the lift. I bought about four years ago.
I haven't had any issues and it works well. Just my two cents worth......

ToddC

IMG_20160108_232348.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Great tip Nashcat!

I plan to get one of these lifts (Princess Auto sells them in Canada for around $389 CAD on sale) but I’ll watch for the C-channel variant. For Canadians - the sale price at P-A is about the same as the US price at Harbour Freight when you pay the exchange.

I’ve read quite a bit about these lifts and the one key caution is that you must be VERY careful when putting the bike up on platform.

You have to be sure that you don’t stop halfway up and when do you get it up there - be sure that you have a place to put your feet to steady the motorcycle. There have been some tragedies where someone got up onto the platform and then couldn’t get their feet down and the entire assembly toppled over. Yikes.

Pete

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Great tip Nashcat!

I plan to get one of these lifts (Princess Auto sells them in Canada for around $389 CAD on sale) but I’ll watch for the C-channel variant. For Canadians - the sale price at P-A is about the same as the US price at Harbour Freight when you pay the exchange.

I’ve read quite a bit about these lifts and the one key caution is that you must be VERY careful when putting the bike up on platform.

You have to be sure that you don’t stop halfway up and when do you get it up there - be sure that you have a place to put your feet to steady the motorcycle. There have been some tragedies where someone got up onto the platform and then couldn’t get their feet down and the entire assembly toppled over. Yikes.

Pete
That is if you choose to Ride the bike up. Too scary for me. Walk it up with a little speed and hit the wheel clamp. Hold stead, set center stand down square, step high and pop it up on the center stand. Clamp front wheel, remove crash covers, strap bike to lift.
Walking off....make sure the stand is clean and the front tire doesn't slide when backing down the ramp. BTDT...

ToddC

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I made a set of wooden platforms to have a place to put my feet, when I rode it up, but now I just walk the bikes up, under power. I don't use the wheel clamp, so I put the side stand down til I get it strapped.

Another tip is to repaint the ramp and put some nonslip grit in the paint for traction. If your tires are wet, riding up the slick ramp can cause a pucker in the seat covering.

John

Bike
2010 ST1300
I bought one last year. It's a mixed blessing for me. I built two boxes, about 6" x 9" by 6' long out of flake board and 2x4's. One goes on each side of the lift for my feet when I ride the bike up or down. That works perfectly. The lift has wheels and screw down feet to immobilize the lift - another great idea. Someone reported denting the 'table' with his center stand so I put down a 1/4"x 2' x 4' piece of steel for the bike to land on. It works great.

However, I found that the frame is not beefy enough. With my ST aboard and strapped, and the table elevated the whole shebang wobbles, flexing of the table and its frame. I doubled a 2x6 and cut 4 pieces to just fit under the table's corners when elevated and the locking bar was in place. I now raise the platform with the feet screwed down to lock the whole unit in position, place the wood supports under the platform's corners, insert the locking bar, and drop the table down that last inch or less onto the bar and wood 'legs'. Rock solid. The table is fine with my Moto Guzzi, so it's the weight of the ST that makes it wobble (flex).

One last comment. I put the bike on the lift, took out the 'trap door' under the rear tire and tried to remove the tire. The wheel dropped down into the well, but I still had to remove the rear fender piece to get the wheel out. I've given up on this feature and block the bike up on wood w/ a small hydraulic jack. I want to get one of those screw type bike lifts but haven't gotten around to it.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Great tip Nashcat!

I plan to get one of these lifts (Princess Auto sells them in Canada for around $389 CAD on sale) but I'll watch for the C-channel variant. For Canadians - the sale price at P-A is about the same as the US price at Harbour Freight when you pay the exchange.

I've read quite a bit about these lifts and the one key caution is that you must be VERY careful when putting the bike up on platform.

You have to be sure that you don't stop halfway up and when do you get it up there - be sure that you have a place to put your feet to steady the motorcycle. There have been some tragedies where someone got up onto the platform and then couldn't get their feet down and the entire assembly toppled over. Yikes.

Pete
The 800 lb PA lift is $389 on sale and the hydraulic/pneumatic 1000 lb unit is $480 when on sale. Next 1000 lb lift sale starts April 17.

I picked up a gently used 2-3 year old PA 1000 lb hydraulic/pneumatic lift about a month ago. Great addition to the shop and like most value add accessories I wish I had got one years ago. My poor old knees are very thankful.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I put the bike on the lift, took out the 'trap door' under the rear tire and tried to remove the tire. The wheel dropped down into the well, but I still had to remove the rear fender piece to get the wheel out. I've given up on this feature and block the bike up on wood w/ a small hydraulic jack.
I always take the rear fender off anyway because it's a 5m job and makes it a lot easier to access things with it out of the way. On the 1100, with the rear wheel on, removing the trap door does allow you to jack up the front of the bike and remove the front wheel without removing the front fender.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
We have two of these in our garage. (Picked the second one up second hand/unused.) The oldest one is getting a bit weak reaching the highest level, but still works. I feel they're a bit shaky with a Gold Wing on them, but the ST1300 seems stable enough. When they're not in use, they make good work tables when set at the highest extension.

OP
OP
bikerdrumr

bikerdrumr

David
Bike
'15 BMW 1200RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Great tip Nashcat!

Pete
Back when the MotoGuild Philly was open, I was putting my bike up on one of their lifts and I remember the panic of trying to keep the bike balanced. Riding up on it seems like a good idea until you realize there is such a small area to put your feet down. Maybe I'm a wimp (I'm not) but I believe putting a bike up on a lift is a 2-person job.

So, yeah, I have a HEALTHY respect for that process.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
bikerdrumr said:
I believe putting a bike up on a lift is a 2-person job.
I think suitable outriggers as some members have done can make it a one-person job depending on the person.

Riding a bike say— up a ramp into the bed of a pickup truck would be a whole matter entirely. Color me Maj. Wimp.

edit: I'd also want a small block affixed where the sidestand would rest. I'd be a little uncomfortable dismounting while holding the bike up to put it on the center stand and it doesn't need to lean as much for that transition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom