Harbor Freight Tire Changer Question(s), Those who DIY.

Arizona

Marty Galison
STOC #
More than just tire changer questions. I have looked at the No-mar videos and youtube on the 2 different changers. I don't want to pay the $600 for all the no-mar system. It would take a long time to recoup the costs of the tire changer.

1) for the $$, is the HF Tire a pretty good tire changer ?, meaning it won't fall apart.

2) Which do you prefer No-Mar tire changer rod or the other guys Mo-Jo's rod ?

3) How do you dispose of the old tires, the correct way and not a midnight run and dump. Or making them into flower pots

4) Do you guys use the No-mar tire balancer or another brand ? If so which brand ?

5) Do those tire-balance lead weights stay on ? What is used to stick
them onto the rim without it falling off. Do you guys use any other method ?

Back in the day, I worked at Firestones during the summer, I hammered the weights on to the car rim to keep them in place.

6) Which internet site do you guys find the best deals on your MC Tires ?

Last edited:
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
1) for the $$, is the HF Tire a pretty good tire changer ?, meaning it won't fall apart.

Mine works great...No more than the average rider uses a HF it won't fall apart.

I use the No-Mar, its works just fine. Never touched a Mo-Jo...so I cannot comment on it.

3) How do you dispose of the old tires, the correct way and not a midnight run and dump.

I have a stack and called a company here in Indianapolis that recycles them...2 bucks a tire. Others take them to a tire stores and pay them a fee to dispose of them.

4) Do you guys use the No-mar tire balancer or another brand ? If so which brand ?

I have a No-Mar and it works great. Someone posted a similiar balancer from HF, don't know what kind of quality it has.

I use the stick on. First tire I did I had no problems. The second front I had three weights on it and they fell off. Don't know if I did not get them stuck on well or if the rim was dirty.

Contact Two Brothers (Tim), he is a member of this site and is great to work with. Will have a great price and be at your door in less than 36 hours...at least thats been my experience.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Did not see we had a changing tire topic already set up. Sorry for the re-hash of my thread
No problem, the more we talk about it the more that notice it and the more that jump it.. it's all good.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Is it as nice as the No-mar? No but the HF is an incredible value and it won't fall apart.

I have been using the HF bar when I use the bar, which is actually very little. For the most part I use nylon rimsavers and a few tire irons.

3) How do you dispose of the old tires, the correct way and not a midnight run and dump. Or making them into flower pots
I have hung onto a few sets for spares, either for myself in a pinch, a local friend or someone passing through. I dispose of them after hours at my local Les Schwab tire center. They leave the trailer open on purpose so tires can disappear. The more tires that disappear, the less money it costs them. They really don't care about a couple of m/c tires showing up.

Marc Parnes tire balancer. You can't buy a better balancer for more money.

The stick on tire weights will not come off if applied properly. Clean the wheel with alcohol. Warm up the wheel and the weight. This is especially helpful in the cooler weather. It will stick and not come off on it's own.

I have been buying tires from Southwest Moto. Adventure MotoStuff is another good source. I have also seen posts for Two Brothers (IIRC) on this forum.

Ray

Bike
07 ST1300A
Here's my dos centavos.

It's a great value for the money. If you have the spare coin, go for the No-Mar. If you have a budge, the HF will certainly do the job for you. But it needs several modifications to keep from scratching your rims. There are several posts on the topic in the Tire Changers forum. The mods are simple and can be done very cheaply.

I have the newer Mo-Jo lever, but I got it before I found out about the No-Mar bar being available by itself. From what I've read, the No-Mar seems a little better, but either one will do the job nicely.

I've not had that problem yet, but when I do, I will take them to the dump where they charge a few bucks for taking old tires.

I dont use a balancer. I use the balancing beads from Innovative Balancing. Others use Ride-on, which I may start using soon.

Back in the day, I worked at Firestones during the summer, I hammered the weights on to the car rim to keep them in place.

The stick on weights usually stay on, but I have had a couple that didnt, leaving the sticky backing on the rim. I dont like the stick on weights due to the mess they leave on the rim, and the clip on weights can never seem to get in the right spot due to the spokes. Which are more reasons why I quit balancing the tires, see response above.

So far I've only used http://www.directlineparts.com or www.swmototires.com. HDL has good prices if you get them during a holiday sale, SWMoto has good prices all the time. Two Brothers tires seems to be a good choice too.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I use the HF setup to hold the rim and use tire irons. It hasn't broken yet don't think it will.

I got a balancer from Ebay, good unit, cheap, works great. Haven't seen it lately though.:confused:

I use the stick on weights. Don't think I'll be ready to put ANYTHING inside a tire but air ever.

I clean the rim before I stick them on never had one come off. If you think about it, Centrifugal force only holds them on tighter the faster you go.

I'm real cheap, I reuse the stick on weights. just buy a roll of 3M double sided sticky tape.

Currently $2 each to give old tires to my local tire shop.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've had the Harbor Freight changer for a while and it has held up well.
I've also got the Mo-Jo bar (had to replace the bolt twice) and the Mo-Jo rim clamps which are really nice. Built a wood cover for the bead breaker part to get more clearance for the rotors.
I use stick on weights when I balance and they stay on if I clean the area properly.
My garage collectors also pick up tires - as long as there are not too many of them.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I believe that product has been discussed here recently. If I can find the link I'll post it.

It looks to be a cross between the No-Mar and the MoJo Lever. I'm pretty happy with my MoJo Lever, but I can see how this one might be good too. I wouldnt mind giving it a try, there are some things on it I like better than the other two.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I believe that product has been discussed here recently. If I can find the link I'll post it.

It looks to be a cross between the No-Mar and the MoJo Lever. I'm pretty happy with my MoJo Lever, but I can see how this one might be good too. I wouldnt mind giving it a try, there are some things on it I like better than the other two.
Yup.. I believe Davenc makes that.

I have seen people use nylon ties every 6" around the tire for taking it off and on. No tire iron is needed. This, along with using Pledge worked very well. It is a very cheap alternative, and there is no chance of scratching anything. I will be using this method the next time I change my tires.

I have the HF MC Tire Changer. For $80 (On sale for $39 for each piece), it is really cheap. For home use, it will last forever.

Texas

I have seen people use nylon ties every 6" around the tire for taking it off and on. No tire iron is needed.

Texas
Would help me to understand this method a little better. First of, those nylon ties must be the XXXXXXL to fit around the tire, especiallly the rear tire. I can see how using ties can help keep the tire in the valley of the rim, but how does it help in taking the tire OFF!

I hope this isn't a hi-jack of this thread....

I just purchased the HF unit. Its not mounted yet. I saw a thread where the owner just bolted it to a piece of plywood. I know that would work, but....

My idea is to drill and sink some lead anchors into the concrete, and then be able to remove and re-install it when I need it. I am a little confused about the feet on the base. All four are an upside down "u", and my understanding of how those expanding lead anchors work, its seems like the "u" shape would allow the anchors to pull out about an inch or so.

Has anyone semi-permanently mounted there's? A picture is worth a thousand.....

Roger

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Lots of options. I, too, use the HF changer with tar arns instead of the various bars. Easier to me, doing it alone.

I don't worry about scratching the rims. When was the last time ya had a inspector inspect yur rims for scratches?? :d

I use the stick on weights, they generally stay in place. I use carb cleaner first. For a balancer, I use the center rod from the HF changer, stuck thru the axle hole and balanced on a pair of jack stands. Ya gotta wiggle it a little to get the wheel bearings attention, but it does an adequate job. Many times, I've not bothered but I think it decreases the tire life a little.

BTW, I have _a lot_ of new weights. If ya need a few, just drop by the CattHouse.

I re-use'em, too. Byron turned me on to 3M double-sided sticky tape for holding auto trim. Works a treat. Available at NAPA.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
There was a thread over on ADVrider (but I can't find it right now) where somebody used 9 cambuckle straps from Harbor Freight ($1 each) to cinch down around the tire until the beads met. This made it easy to slip both beads onto the rim. Then he loosened the straps and pulled them out. Someone else reported doing the same thing with long zip-ties and getting the same result.

If you go to Home Depot you can find long, heavy duty zip-ties in the electrical department. Haven't tried it myself but it looks like it would work and save some fighting with the tire irons. Of course, there's no substitute for practice when it comes to changing tires.

Top Bottom