Harbor Freight Tire Changer Question(s), Those who DIY.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
There was a thread over on ADVrider (but I can't find it right now) where somebody used 9 cambuckle straps from Harbor Freight ($1 each) to cinch down around the tire until the beads met. This made it easy to slip both beads onto the rim. Then he loosened the straps and pulled them out. Someone else reported doing the same thing with long zip-ties and getting the same result.

If you go to Home Depot you can find long, heavy duty zip-ties in the electrical department. Haven't tried it myself but it looks like it would work and save some fighting with the tire irons. Of course, there's no substitute for practice when it comes to changing tires.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33775

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Lots of options. I, too, use the HF changer with tar arns instead of the various bars. Easier to me, doing it alone.

I don't worry about scratching the rims. When was the last time ya had a inspector inspect yur rims for scratches?? :d
You won't even get any scratches using nylon rim savers.

I use the stick on weights, they generally stay in place. I use carb cleaner first.
To make sure the weights stay in place, warm up the wheel and weights with a heat gun prior to applying.

Ray

Zip ties are definitely the way to go if you don't want to take any chances in scratching those rims. It makes getting the tire on the rim a lot easier too.

Texas

ok, so I am getting my first tire changed by a dealer. Just don't have time to do it myself right now but in the future I plan to do my own. I am contemplating the HF for $110 however I really like the cycle hill one for $360. How do you justify the $250 price difference? You still have to buy a wheel balancer. So what do you think, buy the HF and modify it or just eat the cost of the cycle hill and never regret it?

Here is a good link on modifying the HF.

http://www.advrider.com/Wisdom/TireChangerMods1.0.pdf

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
If you want to spend more (so you don't have to spend your valuable time customizing the HF) you can always rationalize a little extra money spent up front... :)

Make sure you check the HF tire balance tool too... :)

STOC #
...... I am contemplating the HF for $110 however I really like the cycle hill one for $360. How do you justify the $250 price difference? ......
At $45 a wheel to mount & balance tires (in my area), it doesn't take long before you've paid for your tire changer~balancer, no matter which one you get ;) .

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Most of us here can justify anything... LOL...

I wanted to get something so I could offer members a tire changing service so I wanted something that wouldn't scratch the rims.. that being said, you can make the HF work well without scratching rims but the no mar for me was a more attractive offering..

I've changed 12 tires so far, 3 were my own and the cheapest option locally is a cycle shop about 7 miles away for $23. I'm changing a front out before my next trip and met someone today at lunch that might come over to get his rear 021 changed... it adds up quickly that way.. if it were JUST for me the HF is pretty darn good... I also liked the fact that the no mar had an option for a trailer hitch attachment so I could hook it to the truck.

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I know this is the Harbor Freight Tire Changer thread..........but, I just ordered the NoMar "CycleHill" tire changer with the balancer, lube, weights, etc. I live 26 miles from NoMar and they will install tires for free to demonstrate the product. So, I am heading over there tomorrow with my '07 BMW R1200GS Adventure and have them install/demonstrate/teach me the proper procedure with a new rear tire. One good thing about the Adventure is the single sided swingarm........it only takes 5 minutes to remove the rear wheel/tire.

I'll update everyone on how easy the CycleHill tire changer is to use when it arrives and is mounted. I've got several friends on the tire change waiting list.

mjblair

TooTall
For me my choice of tire changer was not about recouping the cost. It's about not being at the mercy of someone else. I change and balance at my own schedule, day or night. I bought a full blown air powered changer which comes with the air breaker. Cost $1050. Will it pay off for me, probably not in dollars. I actually look forward to tire changes now and if I want to patch a flat, it's my choice.

I originally bought the HB but it's nothing but a clamp. The rest is up to you. I messed up my rims pretty good with it. I know there are younger and older guys who do a fine job at it but it isn't for me.

All my biking friends really like the tire changer also. ha.

Bike
ST1300
got the hf changer and the mo-jo bar and both work great, got the dyna-beads also so never have to mess with weight,s that corrode the rim

Top Bottom