harbor freight tire changer

Does anyone own or has anyone used the HF tire changer with the mc tire changer adapter. I see it cost about $100. Money well spent if it works good. Here in SW Washington the shops charge $25 per tire if you bring the wheel in. Feed back on the HF tire changer please.
regards,
jim

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Do some site searching for lots of threads on this changer.

A lot of people use it 'cuz it works... some don't I think because we don't change tires often enough to get *real* good at it...

Mark

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I have to agree with Mark about getting good at it. My wife and I attempted a rear tire change first. It took us a long time as there was quite the learning curve. We found the front tire to be easy compared to the rear. After the first couple sets, we felt we got the hang of it having learned the proper techniques making the job easy.

Ray

alan

R.I.P - 3/20/2011
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Mark said:
Do some site searching for lots of threads on this changer.

A lot of people use it 'cuz it works... some don't I think because we don't change tires often enough to get *real* good at it...

Mark
I bought one last winter and was able to change my front Metzler Z6, but I had to give up on changing the rear Metzler ME880. I just could not get that rear tire off no matter what I tried. I have decided that is easier to pay someone else in place of busting up my hands when the tire changing tool slips and goes flying. I also broke the screw gear that is used to tighten down the rim. I believe the changer is a waste of money.

Byron

STOC #
If you don't want to worry about scratching rims then I say look at the No-Mar tire changer. So far I've only changed three tires with mine but haven't damaged anything. I didn't have much trouble with OEM Dunlop or Avon AV45/46 but OEM Bridgestone rear was a bit of a bear. Seems stiffer sidewall was the problem and made me glad I ordered their tire iron set.

Last edited:

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I have found the Pilot Roads and Metzelers easy to install (one less ply in the sidewall and tread).

The oem Bridgestones have a heavier carcass making them slightly more difficult to install.

Ray

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
So far 3 rear tires on mine and 2 front, helps to have an extra set of hands, but I have changed 2 rears by myself, and both fronts, all bridgestones. A few wooden blocks help keep the sidewall down in the center of the wheel as you are spooning it on.

Top Bottom