Harbor frieght tire changer

I headged on buying the HF tire changer cause of some people having problems scratching rims and haveing a terrable time changing tires. But any way I bought one and used it today for the first time. I wish I had bought one years ago. In less than 5 min I had the bead broke and the old tire off and the new back on with no scratches or dings on the wheel. The machine is simple and does exactly what it is advertised to do. I also used my drive on HF lift. I have had it for 3 years. Nice to work on a bike sitting down. HF might be cheep tools but they sure do work for me.
Don

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I've been using a HF tire changing tool for several years now and have it modified to my liking. I used it last night on a cruiser tire for a friend of mine and had to remove the rotor on one side to get it to fit. I've not had to do that in the past for any other bike. It sure is inexpensive and has never failed to work on any of the wheels that I've put on it thus far, paying for itself many times over as well.

Besides the HF tire changing fixture, I've been using the Mojolever which has been a great investment. I never even attempted to use the bar that came wiht the HF fixture, just chucked it aside for other uses and haven't looked back. I use the marcparnes balancer to do my balancing chores.

Did you use the red painted bar that came with the unit for tire removal/installation?

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I got to watch one in action last night! AZDesertRider Bob whipped a tune up on my front STorm that was a beautiful thing to watch, or to try to help. I think we were less than an hour roll in to roll out, includes a pile of BS.

My buddy Ray has the lift, Bob has the tire changer, I'm good to go!:)

Can you guys please post links to both th HF tire remover and the marcparnes balancer. I have always been worried about not being able to high speed balance the tires.

Bike
st1300
STOC #
I use *THIS* one. You need to buy the M.C. adaptor for the reg tire changer. I have had great, no damage, success with the No-Mar bar & "Yellow Thing" also use the *Marc Parnes Balancer*.

Here are a couple cool mods for the H F Machine. *Clicky*

Last edited:
Thanks, I think when it is time to get new tires I am going to do this myself. It is just not worth what the dealers charge you.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I use *THIS* one. You need to buy the M.C. adaptor for the reg tire changer. I have had great, no damage, success with the No-Mar bar & "Yellow Thing" also use the *Marc Parnes Balancer*.

Here are a couple cool mods for the H F Machine. *Clicky*
Do you need to buy the "portable tire changer" to go with this item, or are you somehow using it by itself?

I scratched the wheels on my last bike with the HF lever - buying a mojo lever fixed that problem. Also had the wheel slip in the clamps. I painted the clamps with liquid plastic (3 coats (Plasticote?)) I bought at HF and that solved that problem plus stopped any scratching rom that. There are some posts/pictures of homemade plastic blocks on this site that are used to replace the HF wheel clamps. I believe the plastic clamps would work better than painting the clamps with plastic.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
After watching Bob last night, I'd say "Join a band. Get the yellow thing." That was one of the all time slickest tools I have ever seen. I'll let Bob tell you about the band part:)

And that balancer. I'm good for LSR type speeds.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
After watching Bob last night, I'd say "Join a band. Get the yellow thing." That was one of the all time slickest tools I have ever seen. I'll let Bob tell you about the band part:)

And that balancer. I'm good for LSR type speeds.
I actually used my hex T-handle rubber ends as shims when I changed a tire last night... just on a whim, and it did a great job.. LOL

Bike
07 ST1300A
I actually used my hex T-handle rubber ends as shims when I changed a tire last night... just on a whim, and it did a great job.. LOL
Joe, if you make about 6 or so small wood stips, about 2x3x1/2, they work very well in keeping the tire bead off the rim bead and let it slide into the rim valley. I use three of them on one side so that it can fit easily onto the changer, then 3 on the other side as I'm taking the tire off/on. The No-Mar video of changing a wing rear tire shows the blocks in action.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Joe, if you make about 6 or so small wood stips, about 2x3x1/2, they work very well in keeping the tire bead off the rim bead and let it slide into the rim valley. I use three of them on one side so that it can fit easily onto the changer, then 3 on the other side as I'm taking the tire off/on. The No-Mar video of changing a wing rear tire shows the blocks in action.
Yeah... I saw that part of the vid... I'll make some of those, looks like a perfect solution. And, simple and cheap.

Top Bottom