Hard Starting ST1100

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
Finally I got to do a 60 mile test ride. The bike runs great. smooth power, no jerkiness, no high end rpm missing. I am happy with the results and believe that the valves were the issue all along. Thanks again all for the input. Oh yea it now starts every time cold or hot.
Go ride with a big smile ~!

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Quote : I spoke with a Honda mechanic on Saturday and he says the valves need adjusting. I think he is blowing smoke but once running the valve check is next since everything is apart.

Finally I got to do a 60 mile test ride. The bike runs great. smooth power, no jerkiness, no high end rpm missing. I am happy with the results and believe that the valves were the issue all along. Thanks again all for the input. Oh yea it now starts every time cold or hot.
Son-of-a-Gun ..... the mechanic actually knew what he was talking about !! This is great to know.

How often that does that happen ???

I'll be checking my valve clearances in the spring. It's been about 15K miles. I'll report if my bike starts better, if I find some tight valves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
So the verdict is in after about 1800 miles since the valve adjustment I went from 38.6 to 43.9 mpg. I would consider both are comparable averages, 1 up, 2 up, and similar riding conditions and style. But with that said, Saturday I got 50 mpg even riding in the mountains with my wife leading. A 220 mile ride. She keeps me in control on the throttle.

Bike
92 ST1100
So the verdict is in after about 1800 miles since the valve adjustment I went from 38.6 to 43.9 mpg. I would consider both are comparable averages, 1 up, 2 up, and similar riding conditions and style. But with that said, Saturday I got 50 mpg even riding in the mountains with my wife leading. A 220 mile ride. She keeps me in control on the throttle.
That 50mpg would be bout right, leisure mountain riding. 48-52mpg is where mine runs on LD slab rides.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I always get better mileage when my wife leads. Typically 4 to 6 MPG then when I ride by myself. Her ST1100 also gets typically better mileage than my ST1100, about 4 MPG better. So on our 220 mile ride on Saturday she should have gotten 54 to 55 mpg compared to my 50.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I have seen pretty much all the problems listed in this thread at one time or another. Never had a the valve situation tho. Worst I've seen was lipSTick when I first got her home. None of her valves was tight enuff to not be able to get a gauge in there. Yur very lucky to have not burned a valve.

I agree with previous note to recheck fairly soon.

One or another of my 1100s has had:
Bad fuel pump;
Bad fuel relay;
Leaking vacuum cut-off;
Dirty low-speed jets;
"Stuck" fuel enricheners.

The last is still an issue on lipSTick. #3 will not fire consistently until the engine begins to warm up. The linkage from the choke cable to #2 to # 4, across the bottom to #1 to #3 is too flexible. I've had'em apart, cleaned those enrichener valves, and attempted to "stiffen" the linkage. So far, nothing has worked. It's caused me hard starting at cold temps more than once. Ugh.

Glad you got your sorted out. :D

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
George, I did a valve recheck at 1500 miles and the exhaust on 1 & 3 were loose brought back into spec. It runs like a champ now.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
I have seen pretty much all the problems listed in this thread at one time or another. Never had a the valve situation tho. Worst I've seen was lipSTick when I first got her home. None of her valves was tight enuff to not be able to get a gauge in there. Yur very lucky to have not burned a valve.

I agree with previous note to recheck fairly soon.

One or another of my 1100s has had:
Bad fuel pump;
Bad fuel relay;
Leaking vacuum cut-off;
Dirty low-speed jets;
"Stuck" fuel enricheners.

The last is still an issue on lipSTick. #3 will not fire consistently until the engine begins to warm up. The linkage from the choke cable to #2 to # 4, across the bottom to #1 to #3 is too flexible. I've had'em apart, cleaned those enrichener valves, and attempted to "stiffen" the linkage. So far, nothing has worked. It's caused me hard starting at cold temps more than once. Ugh.

Glad you got your sorted out. :D
Resurrecting an old thread here.

George, did you ever determine the cause of the hard starting on lipSTick?

Jeff

I'm no carb techie, but all those factoids sound to me like some fairly serious carb clean/rebuild may be in your future; I think 6000ft elevation is about where folks say you must get high altitude carb adj and/or different jets, so your Castle Rock location is right on the cusp...

I'd give the bike a couple good doses of SeaFoam, AND, I say, SeaFoam likes to SIT, i.e., just running a couple tanks (at approx one oz/gallon) doesn't seem that effective. I say put SeaFoam in, make sure it gets mixed around in the tank a bit, run the bike 5 minutes if possible to get the mix down into the jets, then let the bike sit for minimum 3 days, 4 - 5 being preferred. I think the molecular binding required by SeaFoam for deep cleaning (i.e., fine parts like jets) is probably a slow, difficult bind, hence the time requirement.
Hello my name is Keith. I am an older mechanic. I have a 1995 st1100 that has very similar symptoms. Biggest complaint is it sputters and has almost no power when cold. Then as it warms up it kicks in and runs good. I recently blew a coolant hose and was forced to tear it down. The carbs were quite dirty inside. I also found that the choke mechanism was not activating the right side as much as the left. I am in the process of rebuilding the carbs and removing the choke rods to get them freed up. The slides on the right side were visibly not moving out as far as the left side. Thus the engine was running on the left bank till it warmed up. I verified this by the exhaust pipes. The right side stayed cool for quite a while as it warmed up.
I hope this helps. Keith

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Hello my name is Keith. I am an older mechanic. I have a 1995 st1100 that has very similar symptoms. Biggest complaint is it sputters and has almost no power when cold. Then as it warms up it kicks in and runs good. I recently blew a coolant hose and was forced to tear it down. The carbs were quite dirty inside. I also found that the choke mechanism was not activating the right side as much as the left. I am in the process of rebuilding the carbs and removing the choke rods to get them freed up. The slides on the right side were visibly not moving out as far as the left side. Thus the engine was running on the left bank till it warmed up. I verified this by the exhaust pipes. The right side stayed cool for quite a while as it warmed up.
I hope this helps. Keith
Whenever I buy an old bike to refurbish, the carbs get properly cleaned and rebuilt. ST1100's should get special attention since time/heat is not kind to the hoses and seals that reside underneath.

Top Bottom