Hard to make target heart rate in the morning

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
It is more convenient for me to exercise in the morning, but I have a very difficult time reaching my target heart rate of 120. I get there pretty easily in the evening. Why is that?

Bike
2010 ST1300
It is more convenient for me to exercise in the morning, but I have a very difficult time reaching my target heart rate of 120. I get there pretty easily in the evening. Why is that?
I'd guess after a day's work - whatever you do if not sitting can be called work - you are more tired than in the AM. What is your resting heart rate in the AM vs PM? I would also guess that if you are having a 'hard time reaching your target heart rate' you might not be working hard enough. Before you go do anything rash, talk to your physician. A target HR that low indicates you left spring chickenhood long ago.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Are you taking any blood pressure medications? I took one for a while that had a side effect of limiting my heart rate ceiling. Getting much past 120 was uncomfortable, and past 130 painful. That was in contrast to times not too long before where I could get into the mid 150s before it got really uncomfortable.

But to echo @SMSW this is a question best put to your doctor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
220-65 = 155 X .77= 119.35 That is the lower end of "vigorous" physical exercise, of which I am supposed do 75 minutes per week. I shoot for 3 days a week. I have no trouble in the evening.

Yes, I do take BP meds.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Just looked at this thread…if you’re on a beta blocker or calcium channel blocker, that could theoretically keep your heart rate lower than expected. I guess the question to ask is: instead of focusing on that HR, how is your endurance for the exercise? If good, I‘m not sure I’d be too concerned about it (the HR target). Did you have a ’sports heart’ when younger (like you were an athlete) such that you don’t need such a fast rate and your heart is beating more efficiently?

I would agree it might be a good idea to involve a cardiologist in the decision making process to make sure your heart is up to the task, but it sounds like it is.

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
Time to get on the bike in the morning. I know when I'm doing around 120, my heart rate matches my speed.:rolleyes:

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
My heart rate is surprisingly high while I ride my motorcycle and while taking a shower. Both activities feel relaxing, but for some reason my heart rate goes up. Running is what gets my rate up the fastest. It'll hit 170 in a matter of minutes and stay there as long as I run at a good clip.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Just looked at this thread…if you’re on a beta blocker or calcium channel blocker, that could theoretically keep your heart rate lower than expected.
I am on amlodipine, that is, as I understand it, a calcium channel blocker. In the evening, the heart rate pops right up. I just finished the ride and the majority of the 30 minutes was over 130. But in the morning, it is hard to get the heartrate up.

IMG_0069.PNG

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I take my heart meds in the morning. If I work out before noon on the elliptical, my heart rate stays way low. Folks next to me prolly think I’m in incredible shape if they glance at it. Nope. All meds.
Greg

Top Bottom