Harley-Davidson and & Polaris Halt Shipments to Russia

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I am actually very surprised and for the first time ever I would pay a lot of respect to Harley-Davidson knowing the importance of the Russian market for them.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I am not sure it this is a political move or just a business move made to look like they are making a popular political statement. With Russian foreign funds frozen, the only way to get paid for goods going into Russia will be with the rolls of rubles being printed by the Russian government on diverted rolls of toilet paper. There is almost no cargo going into Russia at this time either. Or coming out. Ural Motorcycle's main web page is black with a STOP WAR NOW banner.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Cynical old me agrees w/ @Jim C-G. This has gotten to the point where any multinational company continuing to do business with/in Russia will likely get pushback from the rest of the world.

Bike
VStrom 650
+2, they can't get paid and don't know when they will and with the Rouble worth slightly less than nowt you might as well just have the blank toilet paper.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Cynical old me agrees w/ @Jim C-G. This has gotten to the point where any multinational company continuing to do business with/in Russia will likely get pushback from the rest of the world.
And so they should.

Whether their motivation is philosophical or practical, it's important to shut down Russia's economy to send a clear message to Putin. It's unfortunate that Putin, and the rest of the his oligarchs buddies, will be insulated from the effects of the corporate blacklisting. Ordinary Russians are being bombarded with state propaganda misrepresenting the true intent of the war, the cost to Ukrainian civilians and the poor performance of the Russian army. These people will suffer the most from the embargo.

There are a number of companies who, for the present time, have decided to continue to do business with Russia.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Ural Motorcycle's main web page is black with a STOP WAR NOW banner.
That seems to depend on which of their websites you look at.
This is the case with the Canadian and American Ural sites, but not the case with a great many of their sites for other countries. On those sites it seems to be business as usual, which means that they are taking a stand where they know that it benefits them to do so, and continuing to operate in markets where they feel that people don't care and doing so won't hurt them.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't see the point of casting aspersions without basis so I'll just say good on both H-D and Polaris for what ever motivated them to stop shipments.

This is the only place I saw it mentioned. If either crow about their action then I'd give 'em a little stink eye but still — they've stopped shipping. Remember the "no more Stoli" video bites of bartenders pouring Stoli down the drain for their 15s of fame? Now its protest of the invasion Stolichnaya vodka is — rebranding "Stoli!" Take that Puti!

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I don't see the point of casting aspersions without basis so I'll just say good on both H-D and Polaris for what ever motivated them to stop shipments.

This is the only place I saw it mentioned. If either crow about their action then I'd give 'em a little stink eye but still — they've stopped shipping. Remember the "no more Stoli" video bites of bartenders pouring Stoli down the drain for their 15s of fame? Now its protest of the invasion Stolichnaya vodka is — rebranding "Stoli!" Take that Puti!
I agree with you.
To be fair, I posted this to share my distress on the Ukraine war.
I don't really care about the deep motivations of corporations halting business with Russia.
What is crucial is that they are banning Russia one way or another and at the end that it could be a game changer to end the conflict.
If I could, I would open a permanent thread about the war here, on this forum.
I would be immediately banned I think.
To only talk about riding or cooking or anything else with what is happening in Europe is hard.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
To only talk about riding or cooking or anything else with what is happening in Europe is hard.
I understand. You wouldn't be banned, but the thread may be deleted as things turn political-by definition- pretty fast.

There are other places on the internet to discuss those things and get more exposure like facebook, etc.

I agree with you.
To be fair, I posted this to share my distress on the Ukraine war.
I don't really care about the deep motivations of corporations halting business with Russia.
What is crucial is that they are banning Russia one way or another and at the end that it could be a game changer to end the conflict.
If I could, I would open a permanent thread about the war here, on this forum.
Completely agree with you

Bike
2000 ST1100
Unfortunately this won't make a pea of a difference in the out come of the war on either side. I guess it could be a case of doing the right thing. Imho when the war is over what few people in Russia that wants HD's will get them when they resume shipments. Trade bans can only go so far as we have trade bans with lots of countries and they seem like it ain't having a whole lot of effect.

Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
Yes, when the war is over, people will get HD again if the sanctions are canceled. It is more about understanding what is going on, I guess.
I'm glad that I live in a friendly country and can buy HD :) Btw, I've recently addressed myhdfs by link and I hope to get my first Harley soon.

Last edited:

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Of further interest in the Asphalt and Rubber magazine and below the HD and Polaris, Russia story you see the Saudi Aramco purchase of Valvoline and selling other major assets here in the states. A lot of strange bed partners popping up lately.

Top Bottom