Harley Road Glide

OP
OP
STOC #
Are you Completely Serious? :confused:

I find this post particularly funny, especially after riding my ST for over 350 miles on Sunday. Towards the end of my ride I stopped at one of the local watering holes known as Cold Springs Tavern just above Santa Barbara, CA. I normally visit on my Harley Road Glide and I know most of all the locals the frequent the place. Boy the comments and ridicule didn’t stop because I came on my ST! Most of these guys know my Harley and it appears the only way I would gain any respect from any of them is to ride the stupid Harley. I left in a huff and went looking for poor guy on a Harley to race and rub his face in it. :mad:

Now I read this post and find that ignorance is alive on both sides. Many of riders on this forum complain about the heat issue inherent to the ST. As a mater of fact since it got over 80 yesterday during my ride, the twins were most uncomfortable. I never dreamed of a heat issue on a bike before I purchased the ST; certainly I never had any the Harley. The Road Glide is the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever ridden, hands down. That’s were the name comes from; it glides down the road. As a mater of fact after 350 miles on the ST my back hurt yesterday when I return home; I needed a heat pad and some pharmaceuticals to get to sleep last night. I never felt that discomfort or pain on the Road Glide even after a 750 mile day. Furthermore I even have a $650 seat rebuild from Bill Mayer Saddles on the ST and the bike is still just uncomfortable to ride.

Bottom line, our friend to the north showed his ignorance in bad mouthing Harleys without ever riding one for more than 10 minutes, same as my friends found the ST substandard just because it was a Honda and without knowing anymore about it. I find all this bike loyalty crap is stupid and I personally really don’t care what you ride just show up with a full tank and put it into the wind! :rolleyes:
I hadn't seen this post in reaction to my post. I thank Mellow for reminding people of the good manners of this Board. It's unfortunate that this member has reacted this way. I feel my original post was quite positive. Actually, my post about the HD's was more positive than his post about the ST. Go figure. The statement about the heat was factual. There was no way one could keep any body parts close to the engine and surrounding chrome. This was a demo bike that had been ridden all day. It was boiling hot and not only at the touch. I really don't know how you can call this ignorance from the North.

Here's my post line by line:

Went to the local Harley demo ride today. I test rode the Road Glide. Similar to Road King with ugly fairing (fixed to the frame not front streering column).:
I assume I can state an opinion. Even the HD guy said it was ugly and that he preferred the bat type fairing.

First time ever on an HD. I had three bikes in my life. Two Honda's and one BMW. The HD is totally different. It's a physical experience as if you are bonding with the bike. Before you get on, it's eye candy (not the Road Glide but the others). Then at startup it's ear candy. Just love the noise.
Bashing???

At idle, it vibrates incredibly. The BMW boxer is Honda smooth compared to the HD. As soon as you move, the vibrations go.
Why is this a problem, ignorance?

Everything was boiling hot. Don't know how people can ride this in shorts. I think you need asbestos clothing.
Why is this a problem, ignorance, bashing?

Gear shifter is clunky but works. Brake and clutch levers are very physical. Need to pull. I suppose it can be adjusted. Rear brake was decent and easy to apply. I suppose one can get used to the floor boards.
:confused:

I think I understand why people are so emotional about the HD. It requires a special physical commitment to ride one. The bike is heavy but the low C of G makes the weight disappear. Not impressed but enlightened. I could see myself taking a Sunday ride with my wife in the back. Not sure I am ready though and how long I would enjoy it if I had one.
Problem???

Bottom line, our friend to the north showed his ignorance in bad mouthing Harleys without ever riding one for more than 10 minutes
Firstly, it wan't 10 minutes. It was more like 25-30 minutes. Secondly, if Harley thinks a 25-30 minutes demo ride is enough to appreaciate their bikes, I fail to see why I couldn't have an opinion after such demo ride.

It is sad that you can't state your opinion anymore. People are so polarized. Just as I thought st-owners was civilized compared to other forums. Maybe it's because people actually don't try to understand the posts. It's fast food reading and immediate indigestion. By the way, I don't see this member's name in "site supporter" red.

Last edited:

Sink

TwiSTieholic
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
I saw a few road glides on a poker run this last weekend.. I kinda like the looks and I bet it is more stable on the road than the batwing fairing...

The money went to the Shrine Hospitals for Children. I rode with about 10 harleys. We all had fun! It was a slow ride, but the company was great! It's all about the ride! There were around 250 bikes, and about 20 were other than Harley. ALL had fun! I really do enjoy looking at all the chrome, just don't want to polish it myself anymore.....

Top Bottom