Has anyone a VIN plate like this

I'm taking a guess that it isn't from a US model. I'm curious about the 90 db at 3750 min. part.

Its a European direct import. Yes so am I and the homologation number? Its is a 2000 y model yet mot has a st1100 L designation?

I have never seen an ST with an homologation reference, why would it need one?

Homologation just means its built to pass several European countries "standards". When I worked at the tractor place we built specific "Homo units". Below is one sites explanation.

"
Homologation: The Test that builds Trust

An essential activity prior to sale of motor vehicles,
Overview
Automotive homologation is the process of certifying vehicles or a particular component in a vehicle that it has satisfied the requirements set by various statutory regulatory bodies. It is mandatory to get this approval to export automobile products or components.
Homologation standards are applicable to all kinds of automobiles especially in the areas of environment and safety. Prior to sales of motor vehicles, automotive systems and their components should necessarily have approvals according to the official standards of their destination countries.
"

The JH2SC26A means that it is a 1996 or later, European standard ST1100, or plain Pan model (meaning no factory Police ST1100P gear, nor ST1100A Antilock brakes).

You have hidden the year code in its VIN, but you say it is year code Y. So, its Honda model year, as assigned by Honda, is 2000, the last ST1100 year for Europe.

You say it is a European Direct Sales or ED model. So one parts list for it is here:

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-st1100-...irect-sales_model4838/partslist/#.YkTuJ7pOmUk
Again: https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-st1100-...irect-sales_model4838/partslist/#.YkZP6LpOmUk

I do not think which country imported your Pan will change in any way the fact that the above link is the exact parts list for your bike, unless the "part" is one of its stickers, or informational plates.

As I understand it, ED Pans could be imported even by dealers in the UK.
The phrase "homologacion tipo" translates nicely from both Spanish and Galician, but not at all from Dutch. Its meaning is approval type.
(Only the word "tipo" translates from French or Italian, as type.)

Very, very few riders here know about MOTs, much less about the codes, like L, that might appear in the UK's MOT papers.
(L is, however, the year code for the first Honda model year, 1990, of the ST1100 Pan Line, and government approvals are often dated as of the first year of the Line. Aussies here know that last bit.)

Last edited:
In a private message, bikerboy said and asked, "The nearest I have come is to designate a low emissions engine, but what would this entail?"

I replied, "Do you have an engine number? If so, does it match the numbers given under "info" in the parts list I gave you as a link to cmsnl.com?

Austrian engines had different engine numbers than other Pan engines. "

Then he asked, "Do you know if all Austrian models had a pair system (as mine doesn't)?
How would the bike be modified to be a low emissions model?"

On second thought, the special Austrian engines were modified, not for low emissions, but for their horsepower, limited to 90 or 100 horsepower.

The engine number for a 2000 ST1100 Pan ED model has the form SC26E-3000001, from the link I tried to provide above.
(If that link needs further info, search on "2000 ST1100 Direct Sales" please. )

That form of engine number does not look Austrian, but there was a year 2000 (Y) Swiss standard ST1100, or plain Pan model, that had that engine number form.

What led bikerboy to think he has a low emissions engine?

The PAIR system was used on USA and later Canadian ST1100 models.
Here in the USA, emissions equipment included different carburetors, a vapor/vapour cannister under the swinging arm, plus a different fuel tank and fuel cap.

And while we are checking facts, what led bikerboy to think his is an ED model?

Last edited:
Top Bottom