Has anyone tried this? (heat related)

Tenn rider

R.I.P. - 2010/07/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I have removed my inner faring, made a huge difference. Placing the air deflectors on the faring helps with keeping the cold winter air from blowing on legs, but also keeps the cooler air in the warmer days from blowing when riding with feet on the pegs. Wish I could remove them in the warm season easy. The heat I feel is low, around the ankles to the mid shin level. Have to ride with feet on the hwy wings to keep legs cooled down, but I like to ride that way most of the time, unless I'm in in the twisties.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
IMO, if you mess with the inner fairing, you will be robbing the bike of some power and cooling ability. I'm no engineer, but from the looks of the design, that fairing is made to direct air not only across the heat exchanger, but also into the airbox. If that is true, I doubt that it would be enough to notice the difference, but I want every ounce of go power I can get. In my experience, if I have on my riding pants heat is a non-issue. I can feel some heat wearing jeans.

OP
OP
NCrider

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
I have removed my inner faring, made a huge difference. Placing the air deflectors on the faring helps with keeping the cold winter air from blowing on legs, but also keeps the cooler air in the warmer days from blowing when riding with feet on the pegs. Wish I could remove them in the warm season easy. The heat I feel is low, around the ankles to the mid shin level. Have to ride with feet on the hwy wings to keep legs cooled down, but I like to ride that way most of the time, unless I'm in in the twisties.
I feel heat in the same place and I always ride with riding pants on. If you remove a glove and feel down in that area, you will feel the heat comes from around the heads and out onto your legs. From there it travels down and gathers around your feet.

Funny thing is only my feet get hot, but they really get hot unless I move them waaaaay out on the pegs. To the point where they can slip off the ends to easily. That's why I'm looking for a remedy and just being able get that hot air to stay against the bike would make a huge difference for me.

This has all been talked about extensively here.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79538

Look for my post explaining what I did and you will find a cure for any heat concern you may have.

Larry.
Like Larry, I installed the Staintune mufflers. Along with the inner cowls removed, my bike is noticeably cooler.The bike still puts out a little bit of hot air, I also installed highway pegs to allow me to get my feet out into cool air at times for a break.

DoRight

as in Dudley
Bike
2008 ST1300
By chance does anyone have a picture of the ST fairing defectors shown on a red ST1300? I'm interested in getting a set but I would like to get a better view of what they would look like on my bike. All of the pictures I've found are on different color bikes and the views aren't much help.
Thanks...

DoRight

as in Dudley
Bike
2008 ST1300
TXRoadRash,
Thank you very much! That is just what I wanted to see. Looks great! I feel another purchase coming on. I think I might get these along with cruise control.

Thanks again.

Tenn rider

R.I.P. - 2010/07/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
After making a trip back from Shreveport, LA, I know where my heat is coming from. The side ports, that are open on the 03-07 models, air is really hot coming from these when the outside temp is over 85 degrees. When temp cools down around 80, it is much better. I am going to install side covers and wrap my headers and hopefully this will take care of my heat problems.

install side covers and wrap the headers did reduce the heat really well for me.

DoRight

as in Dudley
Bike
2008 ST1300
This last weekend I purchased a set of fairing defectors and mirror deflectors from this site.

http://www.hondaeastsuperstore.com/

I should be getting them in a day or two. They had a pretty good price. The fairing defectors were $180 and the mirror defectors were $122. I looked around a little and this seems to be the best I could find. I admit that I didn't spend a lot of time looking so you might do better.

I'm looking forward to getting them installed.

Deane

Top Bottom