Has anyone tried to modify the belly fairing to get some heat out the bottom?

Bike
good ?
Was thinking that removing the belly fairing might let more heat out the bottom, anyone tried it before, just ordered exhaust because some say it helped a little(plus I like the sounds).

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
On my ST1100, it made things worse. All the air coming up from the bottom forced the hot air out onto my legs.

The 1300 is a different beast, though, so who knows. It seems easy enough to try. Removing the inner fairing panels (those on either side of the radiator) helps, so it's possible removing the entire bottom cowl might help more. Make sure all the fairing parts are well anchored, though, and ride slowly at first. The mounting of the fairing likely wasn't designed with air pressure from the inside out.

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
ST1300 doesn't have any heat issues. Quit wearing just cut-offs when you ride and you will be fine.

Bike
06 ST
I removed the panels (3 I think) underneath the headlight L/R to let more air into that area. Fairly easy to do, don't have to disassembly much plastic. I had to secure the side panels with tie wraps. Just look it over carefully. Many riders do this procedure. DAve B. Denver

OP
OP
geronimo
Bike
good ?
Ok, took 5 minutes to remove belly fairing. I'll see if it helps. Was 92 yesterday at noon and hot on the knees, should be at lest 85 by the time I get back from errands.

Bike looks petty good with out them and nothing needed extra zip ties,

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If it were me and I was that concerned with the heat I would add louvers - pointing forward - to the inside panels and louvers pointing backwards and outward under the tip over bar covers. There are already some holes there. Some have just removed the covers and noticed a little difference.

Not sure if louvers would also pull the side panels away from the fairing and pop the plastic push pins out... But, louvers to me seem to be a better choice as you force are in and then give it a low-pressure way to exit ...

OP
OP
geronimo
Bike
good ?
It was 90* on the way home, I'd say its 50% better then yesterday.:)This is the only thing I've done so far for heat. The biggest difference is the heat is not on my knees. Now it feels like it moved down to the top of my boots, that mades it bearable to ride with knees in all the way home.(25 miles):mcrider:
I'm leaving the belly panels off till fall. The Exhaust should be here next week they only had one can in stock. I may take the inside panels out and see what happens. Since my knees are better it may have caused me to notice how hot the seat is.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I've got an '07 ST1300 with the fairing and mirror extensions. My friend Ken has an '04 without. There is a very profound difference in the amount of heat I feel compared to his bike. They are not cheap, but I think they are an effective means of lowering the heat swirl around the driver.
Anyone have passenger complaints? My smarter-half hasn't been on the ST enough to weigh in... (she avoids the bikes after a few not-so-well-thought-out 400+ mile days... )

OP
OP
geronimo
Bike
good ?
After riding my St 1300 though a hot Oklahoma (hitting 112*) summer I think I'm now broke in to the St. When I got the bike in spring I thought 85* was very hot, now that temp is more like 95* is very hot on legs, any thing under 82* I barely notice. I still prefer 65* in the morning riding to work.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Mine was not any cooler with the Two Bros. pipes than with stock. That said - I've never thought it a problem at all after my Concours and my Wing.

I've got an '07 ST1300 with the fairing and mirror extensions. My friend Ken has an '04 without. There is a very profound difference in the amount of heat I feel compared to his bike. They are not cheap, but I think they are an effective means of lowering the heat swirl around the driver.
Anyone have passenger complaints? My smarter-half hasn't been on the ST enough to weigh in... (she avoids the bikes after a few not-so-well-thought-out 400+ mile days... )
+1 - I agree after installing the fairing extension from Hondaline. It made the heat a non-issue. So happy!

BleST

Bill S T
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
ST1300 doesn't have any heat issues. Quit wearing just cut-offs when you ride and you will be fine.
You may be right... my 06 ST1300 doesn't have the issue. My leg however had an issue one day with me wearing mesh pants (with armor and boots).

IMAG0242.jpg

I now wear shin and knee gaurds under my mesh. Issue gone?! :shrug1:I'm still trying to figure out how I didn't feel the heat as my leg was burning :confused:

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I ride around town in shorts quite often (I know, I know), and have never experienced anything like that! Even in 95+* heat. I do have the deflectors, though.

OP
OP
geronimo
Bike
good ?
Now I'm back to say that 82* is no fun. I rode 1550 miles last week in 3 days(698 miles on day two, Phoenix too Amarillo on hwy 60 mostly, very fun in Arizona. 55 *first half of day. 60* is my favorite temp for riding on this bike). The last day the last three hours was in the low 80's. I have put the belly faring back on in the fall and haven't taken it off yet. It made a noticeable difference last year, so its time again to remove it. I think I will also take the left inner shroud out witch I hadn't tried yet.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Mellow's got the right idea about LOUVERS. Cold air needs to come in the front to mix w/ hot air around headers, then needs an escape route out the back. Key is, not to put it right on your feet - so, need to work on that - Haven't figd. it out yet, but that's the way to go. Hate to chop on the plastic, but it's got to be opened up for more airflow - too much heat trapped inside.

OP
OP
geronimo
Bike
good ?
Ok update, I took all the lowers off. Much better , But you can definitely tell with the lowers gone that the heat is from your knees being in close proximity to the heads. So all thats hot now is my knees which I can handle very easily now. S970579_656323054393585_55628663_n.jpgo for the rest of summer I'm riding a naked ST.

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300
I had 2brothers pipes on mine for a short period this spring when the heat would have been noticed, huge difference in the amount of heat at my feet/ankles, much less with the aftermarket pipes. Currently riding without the side panels, definitely feel MORE heat on my legs, need to put those panels back on.

Seems that there are quite a few bike/rider variables to take into account, blanket statement of "no heat issue" doesn't cut it.

Top Bottom