Has your thermostat failed?

Thermostate Failure?

• Yes it failed

Votes: 95 48.7%
  • No problems

Votes: 100 51.3%

• Total voters
Just curious how many from this site have had a thermostat failure. I have not (knock on wood) but it seems quite a few have or is it just a vocal few?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Three thermostat polls in a year. Is that a record?

alan

R.I.P - 3/20/2011
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have 65,000 on my 03 and still have the original thermostat.

I was watching the Science channel the other night and on "How Its Made" they showed a thermostat production line. Made me realize that all thermostats use wax to open the thermostat, when the wax melts as the engine heats up, the expanding wax pushes a piston which opens the thermostat.

acara1796

AHRMA Racer, Advanced MC Instructor
Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
I haven't yet on either ST. But today while on a short ride I could smell anti-freeze. It was the 06.

Bike
'05 ST1300
It appears mine has failed; I have all the classic symptoms: long time to warm up, then drops back to 1 bar on the temp gauge, poor mileage, excessive rear-tire wear.

I haven't had the time to actually have it replaced yet. I'm planning on having it done during the 16k maintenance next week. While my '05 just turned over 16k, I believe the thermostat actually went south a bit earlier. It just wasn't as obvious until the cooler weather set in.

(Ok, maybe the tire wear isn't related to the thermostat after all) :rolleyes:

Whit
:biker:

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
While there have been other thermostat polls I believe this one is the best. Just two choices has it failed or not. Interesting the failures are now showing greater then 50%

Mine showed up at around 30K

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
I feel an oil thread coming soon. ;)

Ray
Please, I beg of you no more oil threads.
There as bad as the hd forum. pc111 this and that. What mufflers or should I say pipes to put on.
Millions of pages of the same stuff.

I like this group rides STOC's. Places to go. Yes. Took me a little to find. Even the wife can't wait to go.
She says we can talk when we ride. harley thing.

STOC #
2002 ST1100 - bought in March of 08.
Had heat problems when I bought it. over flow hose was pinched and had burst...flushed radiator replaced coolant and hose, then it would not heat up. Today replaced the thermostat. the old one, when I put in hot water opened and closed when cooled. I thought damn, it is not the thermostat. Then, holding the old thermostat up to the light and rotating it, I could see that in the closed mode (cold) only 180 degrees of the plunger that moves, was incontact with the body. IT DID FAIL OPEN, BY NOT CLOSING ALL THE WAY. With the replacement thermostat, the needle moved to 1/3 scale in about 4 minutes and stayed there even on the freeway at 70mph. The old thermostat would not move off dead cold until I was in slow (1st and 2nd gear) traffic then immediately went to 3/4 and the fan kicked on and would return to dead cold when I hit the freeway... The new one seems to hold temp and 1/3.

Top Bottom