Having a hell of a time getting the fuel pump to seal with the lower tank properly

So I've gone through one replacement packing/gasket that got crunched up during install & now have a fresh one.... Also had an issue with a pinched wire.

After all of that being fixed and another new QFS packing/gasket, I'm still unable to get it tightened on so it won't leak as soon as I put fuel in the upper tank. Gas is clearly coming out between the packing and the tank.

I didn't know about the tightening order until this evening and can try that tomorrow... Any other ideas? 9ftlb is not that much torque, so I don't think I'm under tightening....

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's not the tightness of the nuts, it's the flange.

The tank has a flange that angles up at maybe 10 to 15 degrees right around the hole in the top of the lower tank. You'll need to very gentle make this flange the same all around the hole of the tank. I can't remember what tool i used either a wide crescent wrench or wide flat pliers. Be careful that tank is thin material.

I also pinched a wire and that bent the flange down too much for a seal. Once I evened the flange back out it sealed.

I personally think that all the gasket does is press this flange down for a seal.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You’ve damaged the flange with the wire!
As said, be very careful, as that flange is paper thin and very sharp.
You may get lucky with some knipex style crescent wrench type pliers and gently straighten the metal.
As far as the nut sequence, read your service manual carefully as their are two different patterns depending on years.
And if you break the stud off the lower tank, you will be removing the lower tank to replace it.
Not that you haven’t had enough trouble already, but did you use the fuel hose provided by an aftermarket company, or OEM hose?
If you didn’t use the submersible OEM hose you’ll be doing this repair again in a few months.

OP
OP
I ended up getting a solid seal worked out, and the bike ran fine for about 2 days, sat for 2 days, and wouldn't start after that....

Now I have some sort of other problem (new thread started) that isn't fuel related (since large amounts of fuel are visible coming out of the injectors, and starting fluid does not work to get even a brief run)

Top Bottom