Hearing aids and motorcycle riding, advice sought

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
My younger brother just got behind the ear hearing aids but can't wear them with his helmet., so when he day rides they stay home

I need them, but being stubborn and frugal have not proceeded further.

Do they help with tinnitus at all?
Tinnitus is my problem and it's quite pronounced (bad). I'm blaming it on my pre-OSHA military days and my work around aircraft for decades. Got some hearing aids that make noise of their own and actually cancel most of the noise. That required a little work with the technician at the doc's office. Not a complete cancellation but it helps greatly. My wife says she can hear the noise from the buds when I remove them. I don't wear them with my helmet but keep them in the container that came with them...it's padded, spring loaded closed and latched, I keep spare batteries in the case also. Given my propensity to loose things, they get packed into the case with my toothbrush/paste.

i only get tinnitus if i think about tinnitus. anyone else like this? its like thinking of the word itself prompted my brain to provide an example... thanks brain! its this annoying loop of dont think about tinnitus, but then i just thought about tinnitus. Next months i am planning a session with the teleaudiology doctor, as i am trying to understand tinnitus and its causes a little better. I also want to know how often in my age i should check the hearing and what kind of tests to do.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Tinnitus, my ENT doc said, is the brain's way of making up for the lack of stimulation. I think that is an oversimplification, but it explains my tinnitus when I take my hearing aids out in the evening. Most HA's have a 'masking' sound to cover the tinnitus with white or pink noise (not sure which it is).

As far as wearing the HA's when I ride, they do not function the same as ear plugs. I've read that you do not want to damage what hearing you have left, and simply turning down or removing the aids in a noisy environment does not reduce your chances of further hearing loss. You have to wear muffs or plugs to attenuate the sound. Back to riding on a bike - if ear plugs are needed to reduce the wind noise for someone with full range hearing, then for us guys who wear aids the same holds true. Remove the aids and wear ear plugs. If your Cardo's or Senna's speakers are loud enough for you to hear a bluetooth linked phone, great, otherwise just wear the plugs and return calls when you stop.

I'm getting old. Too many opera singers singing next to me. etc.
The time has come for me to acquire hearing aids. I would like any advice regarding wearing them whilst riding, what would be the best style. I do wear glasses and require to take them off when putting on my helmet any issues with behind the ear style?
Do you have bluetooth units that you pair with your phone or GPS?
Do you remove them when you ride? if so how do you store them?
I'm seeking enlightenment

Thanks
Robert
Hello, I’m a lifelong hard of hearing and decades long aid using daily ST rider, here’s some things I know; (and it ain’t much!) my current aids are Phonak behind the ear style with Bluetooth. For in town riding (wearing 1/2 helmet) I find the programmed mute on the aids useful in cutting out wind traffic and engine noise without total noise elimination so I can still hear horns/sirens. For long distance I use a full face helmet that has built in Sena Bluetooth com that I can mostly hear with aids out but can fit the aids under helmet if required with some careful moves taking helmet on and off. These aids can connect to my phone and television and literally changed the game for me. My daily ride is less than 1/2 hour so I usually just mute aids, put on helmet and go but I could stream phone/music but usually don’t bother. So make sure your Audiologist programs a mute function or you’ll be hammered with wind noise! By the way, mute function does NOT mute streaming or phone so it’s working great for me. Lastly, I put a small blue “hard of hearing” sticker on my back fender to alert drivers and (perhaps over cautiously) Police just so they don’t draw on me if I don’t hear them. Happy trails, rubber side down and all that!

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
i only get tinnitus if i think about tinnitus. anyone else like this? its like thinking of the word itself prompted my brain to provide an example... thanks brain! its this annoying loop of dont think about tinnitus, but then i just thought about tinnitus

Me also. I worked at Michelin for 39 yrs with constant noise, air whistle, large bangs, alarms. I'm retired now and have tinnitus but only hear the scream when i think about it.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I operated an air hammer in manholes when working in the summer in the late ‘60’s. What, what? Anywho, I see no way to ride with BTE aids unless you are Dumbo. I can get a new pair, $2500 per ear, every two years and have an appointment next week to see if there are any new fangled devices that may be worn with a helmet. My research indicates one of the major companies has developed one for deep in the canal, made for situations like this that is only removed when the battery dies after a few months. The audiologist removes it and inserts a new one. I have many questions, but will ask and post any info here.

Greg

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
My hearing loss is mostly high frequency, but I always hear the mail truck on the street first. My frequency response drops off at about 6db/octave starting around 1kHz.

The VA graciously granted me with a pair of Oticon More One rechargeable RITE w/85db receivers. They work flawlessly with my iPhone SE as hand-free headphones.

I can get my helmet on with them in, but I wouldn't ride with them in. I was reminded that it wouldn't be prudent to amplify sounds that likely contributed to the loss.

My Sena system also works well, and I have no problem hearing with the volume down. I took the time to position and space the speakers for best volume and treble.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Hello, I’m a lifelong hard of hearing and decades long aid using daily ST rider, here’s some things I know; (and it ain’t much!) my current aids are Phonak behind the ear style with Bluetooth. For in town riding (wearing 1/2 helmet) I find the programmed mute on the aids useful in cutting out wind traffic and engine noise without total noise elimination so I can still hear horns/sirens. For long distance I use a full face helmet that has built in Sena Bluetooth com that I can mostly hear with aids out but can fit the aids under helmet if required with some careful moves taking helmet on and off. These aids can connect to my phone and television and literally changed the game for me. My daily ride is less than 1/2 hour so I usually just mute aids, put on helmet and go but I could stream phone/music but usually don’t bother. So make sure your Audiologist programs a mute function or you’ll be hammered with wind noise! By the way, mute function does NOT mute streaming or phone so it’s working great for me. Lastly, I put a small blue “hard of hearing” sticker on my back fender to alert drivers and (perhaps over cautiously) Police just so they don’t draw on me if I don’t hear them. Happy trails, rubber side down and all that!
Thank you, I posted this seven years ago. I now have Phonak P 90R behind the ear hearing aids which are three years old and have recently been refurbished under warranty. Prior to that I had Phonak in the ear units with a hanging neck remote. The firmware has been updated so it now connects easier with my Apple Watch. I can connect to 8 devices but only be connected to two of them at any given time. The TV and remote mic are in addition to 8 devices
I sometimes nest the hearing aid in the shell of my ear when wearing headphones or when I’m wearing my helmet.
the hearing aids are paired with my Zumo 550, my Cardo Pactalk Bold is paired with my phone. This is the best combo for me.
I use the silicone earpieces (instead of the molded ones)on the speaker portion of the hearing aids as they are less likely to fall out when taking off my helmet. When I do take off my helmet I bend my head forward and the helmet becomes a bucket in the event the hearing aids fall out, they land in the helmet making it easier to find. If I’m not listening to my GPS I can use my remote to mute the hearing aids which are pretty much making them earplugs.
I also carry a remote microphone that is Bluetooth to my hearing aids which allows me to hear conversations better at restaurants or coffee shops
My case for the aids have an auxiliary battery pack, when charged gives me 4to 5 charges when I’m on the road.
As you say they are a game changer and have definitely made communicating with family and friends much better.
Good idea on the hearing impaired sticker. ;)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
When I do take off my helmet I bend my head forward and the helmet becomes a bucket in the event the hearing aids fall out, they land in the helmet making it easier to find.
Wearing a headcap might also help reducing the risks to loose (expensive) equipment:

74.5d.88.H1VanucciHeadcapSchwarz2091759043020.jpg

(they also offer other, obvious benefits...)

Bike
2010 ST1300
I can get my helmet on with them in, but I wouldn't ride with them in. I was reminded that it wouldn't be prudent to amplify sounds that likely contributed to the loss.
Good move. As I said in post #23, HA's do not attenuate sound. You need ear plugs to do that. Hearing aids will not amplify sound to the point where you suffer hearing damage. They are limited to safe volume levels. (Your audiologist will verify this.)

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Just to be clear, I use these silicone domes, they go in further into the ear canal, thus sealing off the canal, much further than a molded piece. With the hearing aids turned off they tend to block out any noise and even if I leave them on, my models also cancel out most wind noise. ( at the time of purchase they were the most advance hearing aid technology). I also have a pair of Phonak hearing aids that were gifted to me and they have less features, I can tell the difference. (Model Phonak M90)
What it boils down to is personal preference.
At stoplights I can talk to fellow riders and hear them because I’m wearing my hearing aids. At my last hearing test my hearing had not deteriorated from my first test 7 years ago.
I will say helmet fitment, proper windshield adjustment and wind deflector, does wonders with regards to wind noise reaching my ears.

Attachments

I am going into pickup my first set of hearing aids on Monday. Seeing what has been issues with them is really valuable to me. Hopefully when taking them out will remind me to put in ear plugs as my work and riding has kind of destroyed my hearing from constantly ignoring the noise that took it out in the first place.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I have and wear the jabra hearing aids. There r two places i wont wear them. Skiing and touring. Great hearing aids.
on the bike, i use boltune bluetooth ear buds. They have a wire that runs from bud to bud. I can talk on my phone, listen to spotify, hear google or waze maps etc.
hearing aids are too easy to lose. Been there, done that.
Something like this..
That wire has saved me more than once!!

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I just don't wear mine. I am technically deaf (70%) in each ear and because of the expense of good hearing aids (~$5-6k per pair every 5 years), and not having any backups, this could serve as an efficient, temporary backup option. So glad they approved of the OTC for so many people who need them, but can’t afford them. I also hope that hearing aid store will have some good discounts at the end of the year and i can get enough hearing aid supplies for the future.
My jabras are very highly rated and $1700.00. Very well rated,

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
My younger brother just got behind the ear hearing aids but can't wear them with his helmet., so when he day rides they stay home

I need them, but being stubborn and frugal have not proceeded further.

Do they help with tinnitus at all?
Try this!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I saw another hearing aid purveyor this morning. I get these offers to endure their sales pitch and I usually go figuring I will learn something. This guy today was a consummate salesman. He did agree with some of my points and made a few of his own.
1. Hearing aid mfrs do not make available to the public information about their aids that will enable you to make an apples to apples comparison. At least two audiologists have told me that all hearing aids are pretty much equal with very minor differences, and as soon as one brand markets an improvement, everyone else rushes to match it.
2. The hearing challenged person is not selecting a hearing aid - he is selecting a provider of services.
3. The criteria for this selection pretty much comes down to cost and the personality of the salesman.
4. Everybody will tell you that their product is the best, filters out the most noise, etc.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I saw another hearing aid purveyor this morning. I get these offers to endure their sales pitch and I usually go figuring I will learn something. This guy today was a consummate salesman. He did agree with some of my points and made a few of his own.
1. Hearing aid mfrs do not make available to the public information about their aids that will enable you to make an apples to apples comparison. At least two audiologists have told me that all hearing aids are pretty much equal with very minor differences, and as soon as one brand markets an improvement, everyone else rushes to match it.
2. The hearing challenged person is not selecting a hearing aid - he is selecting a provider of services.
3. The criteria for this selection pretty much comes down to cost and the personality of the salesman.
4. Everybody will tell you that their product is the best, filters out the most noise, etc.
Call jabra. They are terrible salespeople! They dont even try! 100 day test drive, u can test your ears again online, three year warrantee, including replacements. They will expext u to do a zoom meet or two, just to make sure u r doing things right. I needed more wax filters. They sent them for free.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I just got into the world of hearing aids. I did the best I could to protect my hearing during the years on the flightline in the USAF. I thought I had survived that with my hearing intact. Maybe, maybe not. In any case, I'm having a problem hearing people. I lead a men's Life Group at church. I move around the room during the discussion. Some would think it is because I'm a very active leader. It isn't that so much as I'm simply trying to hear what the men are saying. And I know it is me, and not them just speaking quietly because the men on the other side of the room aren't having a problem hearing.

So with time on my hands and no riding possible after my foot surgery, I started doing some research on hearing aids. Costco seemed like a good place to start. Their return policy is excellent and they only carry the premium brands. They have three aids that require a hearing test and to be fitted, but the price at @$1500 is pretty good. But when I did a search on the website, I found some Over The Counter aides made by Lexie that seemed intriguing. Lexie and Bose merged their efforts for making hearing aids. I haven't heard of Lexie before, but we've all heard of Bose. And at $799, with an easy refund if they didn't work, they seemed like a good way to dip my toe into the world of hearing aids.

They are a keeper for me. I can adjust the treble and bass with an app on the phone. And I can adjust the focus of the sound from all around to in front of me, plus change the volume of the left or right hearing aid independently. In my case, I don't think I need anything more expensive.

Will I wear them while riding...nope. As others have said, I don't want to amplify the noise level inside the helmet any. I'll stick with earplugs.

Oh, and on the subject of tinnitus, yup...that has reared its ugly head. But I don't notice it, except when it is quiet.

Chris

Got my hearing aids yesterday and I won't wear them riding either. But the hope I have is taking them out will remind me to put in ear plugs. My frequency of forgetting to plug my ears is about 100%.

Top Bottom