Heat blanket, how important is it?

I'm fixing the all to common glycol leaks on my 2009 ST1300 and I pulled out the heat blanket that is under the throttle body. Seems to me the only way to get it back in place is to remove the lower fuel tank. That is a massive undertaking. So just how important is it the I reinstate this cursed heat blanket. Thanks for any input.

Bike
2005 st1300
I would think its pretty important. Its not that hard to feed it back down at the back. There is enough space that it will fall down into place as you guide it.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You do not have to remove the lower tank to re-install it.
As Bmacleod said, you can guide it back into place, as there is enough space to do so.
It is there for a reason, I would suggest replacing it.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I'm fixing the all to common glycol leaks on my 2009 ST1300 and I pulled out the heat blanket that is under the throttle body. Seems to me the only way to get it back in place is to remove the lower fuel tank. That is a massive undertaking. So just how important is it the I reinstate this cursed heat blanket. Thanks for any input.
Welcome to the forum.
I would feed it back into place.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Seems to me the only way to get it back in place is to remove the lower fuel tank.
You can easily get it back into place under the lower fuel tank by using a water-based lubricant such as KY jelly, which is available at any drugstore. Flood the gap between the lower fuel tank and the frame with water from a hose to get rid of any debris that may be there, apply the KY lubricant to both sides of the aft end of the rubber mat, and it will slide right in. Then hose the area down again to remove the lubricant.

The benefit of using KY, rather than any other lubricant, is that it is water-soluble and will not damage the mat or any other components it comes in contact with.

The mat is very important, it prevents heat from the engine from boiling the fuel in the throttle body when you are stuck in heavy traffic in the summer. It also reduces heat transfer upwards to the upper fuel tank and the rider's crotch.

Michael

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've had that out numerous times, I just used a flat metal ruler to tuck it back into place. I don't recall it being difficult to replace.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
What do you guys think of this article

I've had more than a few members that read the article and tried it, only to ask me to go in and remove it all, and repair/replace the hoses and damaged wires after the heat that was unable to escape cooked stuff. Save foil for cooking potato's, and just get your bike in a proper state of tune to get rid of the heat.

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
I've had more than a few members that read the article and tried it, only to ask me to go in and remove it all, and repair/replace the hoses and damaged wires after the heat that was unable to escape cooked stuff. Save foil for cooking potato's, and just get your bike in a proper state of tune to get rid of the heat.
Amen Larry. I thought the same thing when I saw the airflow on the back end being plugged up.

Top Bottom