Heat from Bike

STOC #
I have a new 05 ST1300A. All the "heat talk" had me worried, but today was 88 degrees, and it wasn't bad at all (in just plain jeans & boots). Yes I could feel something on my lower legs when stopped but it was far better than I expected.

OP
OP
Rob Hephner

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Update, update, update!

OK, got my bike back. Oil leak fixed and I added the fairing extenders as talked about earlier.

Took a ride today (about 250mile) up north in AZ and then back home. The trip home ended up near 100F. Results are that the bike is much cooler and feels great.

Mods were the cut lower cowl panels and fairing extenders.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Rode in 93 degree weather with it now, fairing extenders on (I did notice they deflect some of the warmth coming off of the head). So far I'm still only getting warmth on the 05, nothing I would consider worse than many other bikes, and far better than my former cruiser (I thought I'd drop off of that thing from the heat at times). Perhaps when it breaks 100 degrees at 98% humidity, I may consider cutting into the cowls. Probably more to relieve the heat on the small can of Honda detail spray in there (I really have to pull that stuff out and put it under the seat or something).

After reading some other guys post about roasting coconuts, I think another plus on my not experiencing heat (as opposed to normal bike warmth) is that I needed the stock seat in the lowest forward position, closing the seat/tank gap up. I didn't realize heat could come through there. I noticed the Sargent seat has a bigger sealing flap in that area.

I wonder, do you guys with silver and blue have rubber flaps blocking hot air from coming out of the side holes directly under the seat and side panels like the 05???

I noticed the one side where I feel some bit of warmth has a rubber flap inside there, but it's curled up a bit compared to the other side. I'll probably play with that.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I guess I've never really had what I would call a heat issue. Maybe a little now and again but I do ride in a more northern climate.

However, I have ridden through Death Valley the 2nd week of August on an HD Ultra Classic air cooled V-Twin. Now if you want to talk about a heat issue lets compare notes. ;)

Remember the rear cylinder doesn't get much air and you are literally stattling the rear cyclinder head.

Chestnuts roasting on an open road...

I'll take the ST any day of the week and twice on weeks in August.

Curt

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Couple of Observations & Questions...

I have shifted a BMW and,,, bare foot,,, that would be a pain...

What,,, is that,,, that,,, Thing,,,

::::no,,, not on them,,, on the bike:::::

just below the turn signal???

This is NOT,,, talking me into a BMW...

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have the wind deflectors from Honda Direct Line and just did 2000 miles in 90 deg and 90% humidity the deflectors help alot, I am going to try the belly pa you can't go wrong for $30. :03biker: :03biker:

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
I just did something in the name of Science and rode my ST in swim trunks for about 20 miles in 90 degree heat... I NEVER,,, ride like a Squid but tonight,,, for scientific evidence I rode more like a Whale than a Squid... :rolleyes:

The Holes I drilled lowered the heat,,, a BUNCH... It was not terrible before but now,,, it is far less heat on the legs... I even sat for 5 minutes getting it warm so the fan was running and took off... It cools RIGHT down...

AND,,, the Glove boxes will no longer bake Chocolate Chip Cookies so,,, I might be able to keep stuff in them with out baking them... ;)

Now,,, if someone would make a Cool version of the "Baker Wing" about the size of your "Cupped" hand and figure out a way to install it just above where the engine vents out so you would be grabbing clean/cool air,,, they would have a winner!!!

I made a hand held version to try out my idea and it works great!!! It grabs the cooler air and dumps it in front of your knee and it then washes down your whole leg blocking the hot air even better...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob Hephner

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
OK, but don't do that again. Bad STer, Bad Ster!

I agree the pockets are much better with fairing modification. :)

STOC #
I put on the full length fairing deflectors on my '05. Noticed a big difference with less heat with them installed. My Sargent seat also seems to block the heat better than the standard seat :biker:

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Austin city limits said:
Well,,, I drilled 47,987 holes in my Inner Cowlings... I am Kid Setting today or I would go out and see what pitch all those holes will be singing at... :rolleyes:
<- South side of Wolf Creek Pass
Terry,
That thing is gonna sound like a pipe organ going down the road....

Putt...

The Calsci hot wings are function over form. They work but look terrible. I found that another Calsci product, the Calsci bellypan was very effective in removing a great deal of engine heat and also improves highway stability. In the colder months I remove the air scoop portion of the bellypan to increase the warm air that hits my legs. :D I've stopped using the hot wings entirely .
Like the silver color. the bellypan rules. :D :D
:biker: :04biker: -------------> :03biker:
I went to the Cal-Sci site and could not find anything about "Bellypan." Any info. would be appreciated.
Thanks

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
If you check under Google images,,, see the link below,,, you can find some of the aero related items that Cal Sci offered. I am not sure that they sell much of that stuff anymore,,, but you could give them a call. My anti-virus does not like their site,, btw. You can see an image of the belly pan c/w scoop at this link. Some of their stuff is interesting,,, cheers,, CAt'

st1300 belly pan.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom