Heat from the frame

Bike
'03 ST1300
I know the issue of heat has been beat to a pulp, but today I noticed a source of heat I haven't seen discussed. I was reaching around to see if I could find heat coming from the seams at my knees, and noticed that the aluminum frame itself (the forward "C" shaped piece, running from the tip of the seat down to your toes), was too hot to touch - much hotter than the rear section near the heel. It would seem that having a stove-top next to your ankle, with the wind blowing it directly back on your lower leg, might be part of the problem. Anyone tried insulating this, or mounting a heat guard?

Bike
GL1800A/ST1300A
I have noticed the same heat from the frame on my 05 ST1300. I have a friend who has a FJR1300 he has the same level of heat from the frame but the FJR has a plastic body piece that seems to help. I have been trying to think of a way to add something similar to the ST....

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Yeah the engine and frame are sorta of a one pc structure. It gets pretty warm after extended running.
Good riding boots are you best bet. IMOP most of the heat you feal is air movement not radiated off the frame so I don't know that some sort insulation would help much.

Bike
GL1800A/ST1300A
I cut some Tech Spec tank protector material to fit on the aluminum "C" frame trying to block the heat. Looks ok, reduces the heat a little bit. Went for a 270 mile ride yesterday up over Ebbets pass, high of 98 degrees. Also first ride with my new TCX air boots. I thought my boots were going to melt off. Mega heat from the bodywork in front of shins. Have done almost all of the heat fixes- cut holes in the inner shroud, valves checked and throttle bodies syncronized, new thermostat and coolant, hondaline fairing deflectors, insulation under the seat and gas tank. And it's still too hot. bike runs at normal temperatures. really do not want to spend anymore money on temperature fixes since none of previous fixes have worked. I guess wrapping headers is next, but i think that the heat has to go somewhere if I keep blocking it off it will get worse somewhere else........

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Not sure of the design or attach points yet, but thinking about some sort of heat shields between ankle/shins and VERY HOT alum. frame castings. That area radiates A LOT of heat in 90+ temps / slow traffic conditions on my bike. The engine is part of the frame, and bolted directly to it = VERY HOT. Much better when it's below 80 - 85. S B

I live and ride in the desert and I am still trying to experience the heat issues that other riders talk about. I am not saying that they are telling stories, I just may be a rider who does not become as effected as others. I was at the Honda dealer yesterday and they had some police bikes there for servicing. I gave them a good look to see if I could find any heat reducing mods that they had made. The only thing that I found was that they had the heat deflectors installed and had a sheepskin pad on their seats. I am really wondering if the Staintune exhausts that I have on my bike reduce heat in my STs exhaust? I need to ride another ST with the stock exhausts and see if there is a difference. Maybe I should get one of those heat guns and get a few readings between a few bikes. We shall see.

Bike
'04 ST1300
I've been noticing that the inside toe on my riding boots gets hot with the trip home. I'm in the Sacrmaento area and we've been near 100, today 103. I took my digital spot thermometer and took a reading of the frame heat. It was 175. Stock exhaust was 145.

This is my 2nd '04 ST.
FWIW
The first had the fairing air-deflectors and the inner cowls were drilled with 1" holes.

The 2nd one does not have the air deflectors. I drilled the inner cowls.

I could be that I've changed my foot position from the other bike....

-Gary

Bike
2006 ST1300
I've though about some sort of hard plastic-foam pads or thermal insulating barrier that could be stuck to the frame right around my ankles and lower legs. I would guess it would need to stop the infrared radiation as the heat source. (Not conduction or convection) Any ideas of what could be used?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Every person I've met who's complained about too much heat, had an aftermarket shield.
Did you have or complain about this heat before you put on a different shield?
Try putting the stock shield back on or if need be, trimming the shield down.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Igofar. You just met an exception. I run the stock shield and I had it cut down 3" 2 years ago. I also have a larger clearview I run in the winter. No difference between the 2 lower-leg heat wise.

I've been noticing that the inside toe on my riding boots gets hot with the trip home. I'm in the Sacrmaento area and we've been near 100, today 103. I took my digital spot thermometer and took a reading of the frame heat. It was 175. Stock exhaust was 145.
In addition to the waste heat coming from the headers, I feel it from the frame. With a reported frame temp of 175 I can definitely see why I feel it . I have some adhesive / reflective engine heat barrier that I am going to try on the frame. If that helps, I'll try for a more permanent / attractive solution. The left side is much worse than the right. I just did a throttle body sync yesterday and #3 cylinder was about 6-8 inches lower than number #1. I hope that was the root of the problem. I think heat issues are like the infamous high speed wobble. Since I haven't experienced the wobble, It's tempting to believe that it doesn't exist....

K

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Igofar. You just met an exception. I run the stock shield and I had it cut down 3" 2 years ago. I also have a larger clearview I run in the winter. No difference between the 2 lower-leg heat wise.

In addition to the waste heat coming from the headers, I feel it from the frame. With a reported frame temp of 175 I can definitely see why I feel it . I have some adhesive / reflective engine heat barrier that I am going to try on the frame. If that helps, I'll try for a more permanent / attractive solution. The left side is much worse than the right. I just did a throttle body sync yesterday and #3 cylinder was about 6-8 inches lower than number #1. I hope that was the root of the problem. I think heat issues are like the infamous high speed wobble. Since I haven't experienced the wobble, It's tempting to believe that it doesn't exist....

K
SIX to EIGHT INCHES? Am I reading that correct? Its amazing that your bike would start and idle!
That very well may have caused some of the heat.
Tell me, how did trimming the stock shield down help with the buffeting or wind blast.
I'm considering doing this to my stock shield.
Thanks for sharing your info.
I guess I'm just used to heat after riding several Harley touring models!
Igofar

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Yeah, 6-8" is a lot ... if that is in inches of mercury!

I've found a couple other bikes #3 throttle body at 2-3" out (inches mercury) ... that cylinder was not firing at idle.

Bike
2006 ST1300
SIX to EIGHT INCHES? Am I reading that correct? Its amazing that your bike would start and idle!
That very well may have caused some of the heat.
Tell me, how did trimming the stock shield down help with the buffeting or wind blast.
I'm considering doing this to my stock shield.
Thanks for sharing your info.
I guess I'm just used to heat after riding several Harley touring models!
Igofar
Oops .. I may have wrongly stated the unit of measurement. I'm using the Carbtune so it might nave been centimeters. :( I'm at work so I can't check but #3 was dramatically lower than #1. So it that was centimeters it was in the 2-3 inch range.

As for cutting down the stock shield, it works great. With the lower shield, the air coming across feels cleaner and less disturbed. I don't feel knocked around by the wind as much as with the pure stock shield. I also get a bit better gas mileage. When it's up I still fell the back pressure.

I also just added baker wings and I'll test them out once I can button everything back up. The wife is out of town for a couple of days so I should have her put back together by tomorrow evening.

I also have a vulcan 900 and I'm using it as my hot weather bike. I almost sold it this spring but I removed the shield and love having the airflow. I commute on a bike 9 months out of the year and this has made the hot summer days more pleasant.

Top Bottom