Heat from the ST engine

Here in Finland it`s not a problem,+5 celcius today and i love when engine warming my legs:D
YUp...was talking to a guy on a n '07 ST yesterday, about winter riding. Seldom need my heated gear in the winter around SE Virginia, the engine heat, fairing trim and oversize windshield do the trick nicely.

Gamecock

Hey Y'all, Watch This!
Bike
2006 FJR
Sometimes I wear jeans, sometimes the Aerostich Roadcrafter, and sometimes Joe Rocket mesh pants. When I feel heat off the engine, I feel it around my shins, but its never really bad and I can usually adjust my feet a little to deal with it. I actually find the heat to be less of a factor if I keep my lower legs in close to the bike rather than sticking them out there in the hot wind coming off the engine (does that make sense?)

But I usually ride with my upper legs and knees hugging the tank pretty tight and I have never experienced any excessive heat in that area, even when I wear the mesh pants. I've also never experienced excessive heat in the crotch area (that would probably be a deal breaker for me!) like some have complained of.

I ride with the seat in the lowest position, but that's the only difference on mine I can think of. Apparently some STs just give off a lot more heat than others and I'm thankful to have been lucky enough to get a "cool" one.

Your bike should of come with the black rubber knee guards that glue to the side of the tank. Sometimes the Dealer does not install them, but you should have them.
Keep your windshield low
wear a layer of gear to insulate from heat
make sure the seat seals to the tank

Bike
Goldwing
Jeans here, and the pads. But on longer rides, I have to swing the knees out briefly for some relief.:D

I'll add that I do have to STnd up some, due to SeaT heat.

Last edited:
For me, my legs dont get warm, but my seat gets unbearable, like sitting on a griddle.

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
While at the Honda Hoot I had Baker Air Wings installed. This is the first year they had them for the ST1300. Makes a world of difference
Not seeing them on their web site..
I see them for the GW and ST1100 but not the 1300??

Putt...

Wheels of Fire

Frank Wells
Hutsonville, IL 20 minutes from Moonshine (as the
Bike
05 ST1300
I fabbed some heat deflectors out of some rigid plastic. They are larger than Honda fairing deflectors, but only deflect the hot air coming from the fairing at the cylinder heads. I drilled 2 holes and used Honda push-pins to attach them.
Now the hot air from the engine, coolant tank and radiator flow away past my legs.

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Is the heat problem also an issue for the ST1100?
I think I can answer this for you. I bought a 1991 ST1100 July 31. I rode a 1987 BMW K100LT, which I believe is the hottest bike on earth. We had a couple of weeks of 100 degree temps down here in Arkansas and I saw the ST ad in the paper. I rode the bike with the tremp at 100 degrees and immediately wanted it. I don't believe the engine ran any cooler than the Beemer. but I was able to get more air. I personally have no problem riding the ST1100 at 100 degrees. When the temp drops below 40 I'll miss the K100LT.

I have never ridden a 1300, which you are looking at on another post, but I can't imagine it to be nearly as hot as the BMW.

I see you are in Canada. The only time i have been in Canada is in July in Quebec. I would have enjoyed the warmer bike in Quebec.

One thing I can't answer is how well the carburated 1100 starts in cold weather. The fuel interjection 1300 should start in any temp.

There was a gentelmen from Canada that complained about the heat of the 1300. I think hot is subjective.

Ralph Sims

I think I can answer this for you. I bought a 1991 ST1100 July 31. I rode a 1987 BMW K100LT, which I believe is the hottest bike on earth. We had a couple of weeks of 100 degree temps down here in Arkansas and I saw the ST ad in the paper. I rode the bike with the tremp at 100 degrees and immediately wanted it. I don't believe the engine ran any cooler than the Beemer. but I was able to get more air. I personally have no problem riding the ST1100 at 100 degrees. When the temp drops below 40 I'll miss the K100LT.

I have never ridden a 1300, which you are looking at on another post, but I can't imagine it to be nearly as hot as the BMW.

I see you are in Canada. The only time i have been in Canada is in July in Quebec. I would have enjoyed the warmer bike in Quebec.

One thing I can't answer is how well the carburated 1100 starts in cold weather. The fuel interjection 1300 should start in any temp.

There was a gentelmen from Canada that complained about the heat of the 1300. I think hot is subjective.

Ralph Sims
I test rode an '87 K100RS at the beginning of the season. It sure does cook your left foot.

It gets plenty hot up here at times. I did a weekend in the Kootenays on my old '79 GL1000. The hottest reported temp (courtesy of my buddy's RT temp display) was 38C, (100F). My GL has a Vetter fairing. Not much air. I had to cock my left wrist out into the slip-stream to get some air in my jacket.

I blew a head gasket on the Wing that weekend :(

Last edited:
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
I test rode an '87 K100RS at the beginning of the season. It sure does cook your left foot.

It gets plenty hot up here at times. I did a weekend in the Kootenays on my old '79 GL1000. The hottest reported temp (courtesy of my buddy's RT temp display) was 38C, (100F). My GL has a Vetter fairing. Not much air. I had to cock my left wrist out into the slip-stream to get some air in my jacket.

I blew a head gasket on the Wing that weekend :(
I thought the BMW K was a great bike. I had painted it and completely serviced it, the bike was in like new condition with 42K on the clock. I was going to keep it forever. After riding the 1991 ST1100, I felt like throwing rocks at the Beemer. The ST is superior in all respects except Harley riders would comment how great a bike it was and it was more stable behind an 18 wheeler. I don't stay behind 18 wheelers.

As I said, heat is subjective as is cold. I could not take a Canada winter. The more arthritis I have the warmer I like it. 100 is hot no matter what style bike.

Ralph Sims

Top Bottom