Heat Issue: First Step Suggestions

Hi all,

I'm having the heat issue on my 07 ST1300. I've read many possible solutions including: wrapping the headers, extended fairing kit, the mylar bubble wrap, the insulation under the seat, etc...

If you were to take one first step which is most likely to solve the issue, which one would you chose?

Thanks,

John

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have the faring and mirror deflectors installed and have ridden in 111 degree weather with no problems other then the temp is way to hot. I think it just keeps the heat off of you. They are easy to install. Good luck with this!

:usflag1:

The easiest, cheapest, quickest, reversible fix is remove the inner fairing cowls. Ride the bike. See if it is enough cooler to satisfy you.

bs

Bike
04 ST-1300
I have the faring and mirror deflectors installed and have ridden in 111 degree weather with no problems other then the temp is way to hot. I think it just keeps the heat off of you. They are easy to install. Good luck with this!

:usflag1:
I agree, I installed the Honda deflector kit and have never considered engine heat an issue. Of course I ride year round in Colorado, the heat feels good 9 months out of the year.:bl13:

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
I just added the mirror air deflectors and fairing deflectors , big difference in leg heat ..

I'm sorry to ask this newbie question... what/where are the inner fairing cowls?
They are the inner plastic black pieces that run next to the radiator. Do a search, you will find some pictures.
Many people drill holes, or cut slots in them. Others, like me, remove them completely, or take them in and out at different times of year. It takes me about 10 minutes to remove them, about 20 minutes to reinstall.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
+1 on the inner cowling removal. I also have a 2007 ST13 and it made a big difference for me. I tried drilling holes first which made some difference, but removing it all together did it for me.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Another question is what kind of gear you're wearing. Jeans and sneakers vs. good pants and tall boots can make all the difference.

--Mark

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm still working on the summer heat issue but if I was to do it over again, I would start with:

1) the inner cowls - remove them completely and secure the outer tupperware to the headlight cowl with a zip tie on each side to keep it rigid and tight.

2) Good riding pants and helmet - I am cooler in my convertible pants (liners, rain liners, outer covers, mesh base) either with covers or mesh over my jeans than I am in jeans alone. Jeans alone are always hot and not really safe. I've also tried sweat pants and others under the riding pants but jeans under the mesh has always been coolest. On super hot days, wet the legs of the jeans and let evaporative cooling work to keep you cooler. I purchased my Shoei X-11 mainly because of the reported ventilation in this helmet. At the time, I wanted another Shoei and the choice was for the maximum cooling airflow for my hot head. Works great, lots of airflow.

3) Mylar bubble wrap helped a good bit but once the lower fuel tank heats the gas, the top tank still gets hot due to the fuel coming back in from the return line. It is a cheap enough fix to be worthy to be done as it does help.

4) Dropping the windshield lower than stock has increased my airflow and keeps me coolest. This really helps on the hottest of days. Of course this only works while I'm in motion.

5)Keep the side bags on the bike. I notice more heat when I take the side bags off of the bike.

6) I still plan to sync my throttle bodies to see if this will help. Some have reported that it has helped the heat issues.

7) I won't even consider wrapping any part of the exhaust. To me, that is just asking for rust and replacement - a costly way to go.

:slv13:

I'm here to tell ya, I've tried almost all the tricks; taking off the inner cowl, wrapping the pipes, putting on extra heat shield on the lower cowl, and even painted this special heat paint under the tank, and the cowls. Guess what, the bike is still DARN HOT.

Does the heat stop me from riding, NO, and unfortunately, there are plenty of times that I can not ride any faster than I'm already going (see my photo).

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I'm here to tell ya, I've tried almost all the tricks; taking off the inner cowl, wrapping the pipes, putting on extra heat shield on the lower cowl, and even painted this special heat paint under the tank, and the cowls. Guess what, the bike is still DARN HOT.
Planning on giving Ivan's FCE a try too?

Bike
2005 ST1300A
Hi all, I am also having heat issues on my lower leg upper boot area.My thinking is the heat is coming in over the edge of fairing were the heads are, to low pressure area between my legs and the bike? Any thoughts on that?

Any info on the deflectors and extensions I am reading about would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Pete

Does the heat stop me from riding, NO, and unfortunately, there are plenty of times that I can not ride any faster than I'm already going (see my photo).
The next things I would try to make the bike cooler to ride is replace the stock mufflers with aftermarket ones. This seems to make the whole exhaust cooler. The side bags stay cooler as well.
Next try getting more airflow to your body. I lowered my windshield a couple of inches with home made brackets.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Hi all, I am also having heat issues on my lower leg upper boot area.My thinking is the heat is coming in over the edge of fairing were the heads are, to low pressure area between my legs and the bike? Any thoughts on that?

Any info on the deflectors and extensions I am reading about would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Pete
You might actually be feeling the exhaust heat. The catalytic converters in the exhaust really generate and retain heat. I ride in canvas skate shoes during the summer (I know, I know) and feels like my feet are on fire at times.

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
You might actually be feeling the exhaust heat. The catalytic converters in the exhaust really generate and retain heat. I ride in canvas skate shoes during the summer (I know, I know) and feels like my feet are on fire at times.

NO not vans .... :D

Block the cutouts where the battery and the shock adjuster are located. in fact use duct tape as an experiment. this made thins alot better for 3 or 4 of us. the other mods mentioned help but minimally. the new bikes have pieces as standard.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
NO not vans .... :D
Yup.......guilty as charged.

Block the cutouts where the battery and the shock adjuster are located. in fact use duct tape as an experiment. this made thins alot better for 3 or 4 of us. the other mods mentioned help but minimally. the new bikes have pieces as standard.
Already adapted a pair onto my bike......no difference in heat....it's coming from the exhaust.

Bike
2005 ST1300A
Hi All, I am going to remove the inner cowl and see how it works.I want to try one mod at a time to know what works best.

Does anybody know about any aftermarket deflectors and extensions, the honda stuff is pricy.

Thanks
Pete

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
The so called heat problem can be cured. Look here and find my post for a full explanation of all that I did to solve my heat issues.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79538

The solution is to do everything I did and there will no longer be a heat problem.

My 04 is now a joy to ride in any temp.

By the way I also have the Honda fairing and mirror wind deflectors.

Larry

Top Bottom