heat issue question

Bike
Honda ST 1300 A
I have my ST1300 for a couple of weeks now, and have been interested in the heat issue and the best way to solve it. Have seen a couple of comments on the inner cowls, and either removing them or drilling holes in them. could someone explain where they are located, what they look like and the pattern or method of removal.

Living in Louisiana the heat is just begining and I need relief already.

Thanks

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hi ..
After buying this fairly expensive bike, I find out it is a veritable oven to ride, even on mild days!! I thought it was just my black Aerostich on our first long ride on the bike, but the day after, I jumped on my 1978 BMW R100S, which has two huge, hot cylinders hanging right out there in front of my shins, and felt NO HEAT AT ALL (in the same outfit). Whether by design, or just dumb luck, BMW seems to have got it right on that bike.

On to the ST: I , of course, went right to the forum, and read everything available on it. I noted the wide variety of different "fixes" tried, and the different degrees of success. After reading it, I went for a long ride one-up to make sure it was really a problem, and for sure, it is. The front of the shins on my 'Stich were definitely warm to hot, and it seemed to get WORSE at speed.

I did find the main root cause on my particular machine. At speed, a low pressure area occurs right where my shins/calves are. The heat, coming off all the hot surfaces inside the fairing, exits at the opening for the head, pools right there, and forms a micro-climate unfit for human flesh. Immediately the application of the fairing deflectors seemed a good idea, but I'll test with some homemade plexi "wings" to make sure that that particular fairly expensive mod does what it is supposed to do! In looking at it, it appears to be a bit small to effect a large movement of air even at higher speeds, and appears to have more form than function.

Inner cowlings: I am going to remove these as well, and measure the heat both with and without. Some have expressed concern that cooling ability will be compromised, but I really don't think that'll be an issue. I want to remove them to replace the anemic horn anyway.

Throttle body sync: I have heard this can reduce the heat, but for the life of me, I don't see HOW. If someone can explain the rationale behind it, I'll go ahead and do it, but it does not seem logical to me.I have a shop manual on the way, and I generally do all my own work.

All in all, I love the bike..the handling is magnificent, the speed is amazing, but frankly, I think Honda dropped the ball design-wise on it. After adding an Ivan's FCE (139 + my labor), I am more than a bit disappointed- the "rideability" is not as good as my 35 year old Beemer! No, I'm not going to sell it right away, but I WILL be experimenting to find the best combo of heat dissipation tactics, and methods of "smoothing" it out.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
It's one of the big ST debates... heat! Some have it some dont...reason from gear to indiv person heat tolerance to engine tuning...

I really don't have much heat off of my '04... the only time I've really complained is above 85f in traffic. I did drill 4 - 1" holes on the upper part of each cowels for the just this summer heat.
It did make it a bit cooler, but you can still keep your burgers warm in the fairing pockets :)

Overall tho I don't have the heat problem some complain about.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
The inner fairings are the black ones that channel air to the radiator.
Some remove them other drill them out. They are fairly cheap and some keep a winter set and a drilled summer set.
If you remove them you'll need to zip tie the outside air temp sensor that mounts to the right side inner cowling.
High riding boots and riding pants make a difference. Also make sure the front sides of the seat are properly installed in their tabs and adding some insulation at the tank seat gap may help.

Traffic snarl in high temps gets hot when the fans kick on! The cure for the heat is the throttle.

Bike
2006 ST
Riding an 06 with just under 45,000 miles now. Learned long ago never to ride without wearing a good set of boots. As long as I have my boots on I can ride the ST comfortably in most high temps...GREAT BIKE.....beats the BMW RT hands down....the electronic cruise control of course......

OP
OP
Bike
Honda ST 1300 A
I removed the cowls and am amazed at the difference, now it is like riding any other bike, there is still some heat but not unbearable!

OP
OP
Bike
Honda ST 1300 A
I am amazed at the difference removing the cowls made, we are experiencing daily heat warnings and I have been riding all week and no cooking problems while astraddle "Quicksilver"! Even stopped in traffic, no problems.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
So I guess what we need to do is figure out some sort of movable vent on the inner cowlings, so you can change it during a ride. Sometimes heat is a GOOD thing!

Everytime I read something that might be a solution, someone posts a comment that they tried it and it made no difference... hmph!

I ordered and received the Hondaline fairing deflector kit and will be installing it in the next couple of days. My 2010 Black gets ridiculously hot on my right shin. Oddly enough, if I raise the electric windshield, the heat gets worse. So, I always ride with it in the furthest down position... What a quirky design...and what a shame this bike has everything I need, but excessive heat issues in a state like Arizona!

Bike
2010 BMW RT
FWIW I used to own a first generation Concours. These came with air deflectors mounted on each side of the fairing to direct cool air onto your feet and ankles. They were very effective and if I recall there were even instructions in the owners manual on how to reverse them for winter riding. Maybe some of the creative types on this board could design something similar for the St?
concoa2.jpg

Bike
ST 1300
I also complain against the heat and did some mods which helped moreless. At least the surface temperatur of the knee-rest and within the side-boxes is markable reduced. It doesn?t help against the warm-blow when the fancoil starts.
Here some pictures of what and how I did. I used 3mm aluminium coated styrofoam glued with a spray-glue but there also exists a selfadhesive foil.

EDIT: and I removed totally the inner black fairings - also some Degrees less....

Attachments

I've come back to this thread to leave a post mortem.

I installed the Fairing Deflectors from Direct Hondaline Parts. I am surprised by how much one inch of additional fairing plastic has helped reduce the heat on my shins. It's quite amazing and I'm very pleased with the net result. I rode for 367 miles yesterday, and now I am not complaining about heat, but I do need to change my seat! Funny how one's attention moves from one thing to the next with this hobby. Oh, also, realized I need to install that G2 throttle control... This is a sickness... ;-)

http://www.g2ergo.com/street-bike-g2-ergonomics-products/g2-tamer-throttle-tubes-street/g2-tamer-throttle-tubes-720.html

Bottom line, highly recommend the heat deflectors. I didn't bother with the mirror deflectors.

Top Bottom