Heat issue

I have a 2016 st1300pa, It's been hot here in the upper 90's, the heat from the engine has gotten so hot it's unbearable at times.
Any thoughts on how to lessen the heat that is generated.

Thanks
Kevkev

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I am very hot natured and live in Florida. I've had two ST1300s. I tried everything suggested here. It's just a hot bike. I finally fixed it by replacing it with a Triumph Tiger 800XC which is somewhat hot. Now also have a Goldwing. It's the least hot. Not trying to be negative. Good luck!

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Try to get your bike as tuned up as you can get it and replace your coolant and thermostat. These bikes are hot and mine runs hotter than I would like it to also. Riding boots help.
Good luck....

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
I can solve all your heat problems. Replace the thermostat, switch to a 15w-40 oil, and you need a throttle body sync. Those three things being out of whack will cause excess heat. I've ridden comfortably in almost 100 degree heat and it didn't burn up. Don't ruin your bike with the STUPID FOIL and mods.

Bike
2010 ST1300
As already said, there is not much you can do to reduce the heat thrown off by the engine. Honda got many things right with this bike, and a few things not so much right. In previous threads, it has been mentioned that riding position will have a big impact, spread your knees so they are not hard against the fairing, sit on a bead rider (bead type blanket over the seat) to allow airflow down there. I experienced the heat once on a very spirited STOC ride, shifting up and down, braking and accelerating out of corners and rarely cruising along in top gear for any distance. I've never felt the heat when moving along on a highway at a steady speed. That's not good news if you do a lot of canyon carving or live in an area with no straight roads. Clothing also makes a big difference - a heavy suit, like Aerostitch - will block some of the heat.

Feel free to try aniwack's suggestion, but there is no objective evidence one way or the other regarding those 'fixes' efficacy. It's all subjective, but if you find that that those changes work, great!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'll have to side with @aniwack simply because my bike runs well, thus I assume it is relatively "in tune."
I haven't yet (16 months owner) done a throttlebody sync, compression or leakdown test, thermostat R&R, or been in the engine in any way but for oil changes.
Living here in the Deep South (not quite as Deep as Louisiana, but real close) with our world-famous humidity (it has texture and personality) and routine 100-degree days about now, I'm comfortable with a mesh riding jacket and normal pants / jeans, and NO motorcycle-generated heat issues.
Not on my legs, ankles, hiney, nor nothin'.
Where are y'all feeling the heat? Feet, thighs, bum, ...?
It is totally unlike me to be so "lucky", so I'm just wonderin' what's the deal.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Science isn’t especially popular lately but one of the side effects of converting gasoline to horsepower in an ICE is creating heat and changing the oil to a thicker one from 10w30, replacing a functional thermostat, and adjusting the idle mixture can’t possibly alter heat given off when underway. If it does, google ‘placebo effect’.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Science isn’t especially popular lately but one of the side effects of converting gasoline to horsepower in an ICE is creating heat and changing the oil to a thicker one from 10w30, replacing a functional thermostat, and adjusting the idle mixture can’t possibly alter heat given off when underway. If it does, google ‘placebo effect’.
:thumb: Unlike most laws, the laws of thermodynamics cannot be broken. Ignored, yes at your peril, broken, no.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I am one of the lucky ones I guess. There does not seem to be an excessive amount of heat given off by my bike. 90 degree day in stop and go traffic? Yes, there is. Fortunately, those are few and far between in my neck of the woods. It is not as hot as my KTM. That thing is a furnace.
I have aftermarket mufflers on the ST and they do not contain the catalytic converters. I am thinking that may have some impact on heat generation. For sure the pipes are not as hot as the stock ones. I will echo those that say riding pants make a difference. As do tall boots.

Just my impression but there seems to be a couple of variables in play. One is a difference in bikes for some reason and the other is a difference in heat tolerances of riders.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
If it does, google ‘placebo effect’.
I agree!

However, the amount of noise produced correlates directly to the safeness, speed and power. Fact :rofl1:

The only thing that I have found to help any is a mesh jacket and a bead rider. I swear by bead riders.

A lower degree thermostat may make a difference in measured temperature. At the expense of performance.

I agree!

However, the amount of noise produced correlates directly to the safeness, speed and power. Fact :rofl1:

The only thing that I have found to help any is a mesh jacket and a bead rider. I swear by bead riders.

A lower degree thermostat may make a difference in measured temperature. At the expense of performance.
Where do you get a lower temp. thermostat? Part number? How low a temp.? I agree on beaded seats. GREAT.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Where do you get a lower temp. thermostat? Part number? How low a temp.? I agree on beaded seats. GREAT.
Sorry I don't know, never looked in to it. You can probably find one with a little digging. You may have to take yours out and go off of measurements.

However it's probably not a good idea to do it. It could gum up your engine over time. The engineers at Honda figured out what is best for it.

That being said I don't think dropping by 20 degrees or so would kill it. Living in Florida it's probably going to run pretty warm anyway.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I am sitting here wondering how a lower temp thermostat would help with the heat issue. For a given volume of fuel burned, there will be a fixed amount of heat generated. A lower thermostat would mean that more heat would be dissipated by the radiator leading to more heat issues. Seems to me that a lower water temp means a higher air temp. That does not even address the issue of what temperature is optimum for the bike to operate at.
Living in Florida it's probably going to run pretty warm anyway.
If the cooling system is functioning properly, it shouldn't matter if you live in Florida in summer or Alaska in winter, the motor will operate at the same temperature.
I have run my bike in temperatures at, or below, freezing and in 117F (Palm Springs in August:oops:) and it was at 3 bars both places.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I am sitting here wondering how a lower temp thermostat would help with the heat issue. For a given volume of fuel burned, there will be a fixed amount of heat generated. A lower thermostat would mean that more heat would be dissipated by the radiator leading to more heat issues. Seems to me that a lower water temp means a higher air temp. That does not even address the issue of what temperature is optimum for the bike to operate at.

If the cooling system is functioning properly, it shouldn't matter if you live in Florida in summer or Alaska in winter, the motor will operate at the same temperature.
I have run my bike in temperatures at, or below, freezing and in 117F (Palm Springs in August:oops:) and it was at 3 bars both places.
Below freezing I doubt you would see three bars if the thermostat wasn't working (stuck open). The thermostat regulates the lowest temperature the engine operates when fully warmed up.

Three bars in below freezing means your thermostat is doing its job. Three bars in 117F means your radiator is doing its job.

I don't know what temp the ST's thermostat is.

If you had a 200 degree stat the coolest air coming out of your radiator would be about 200 degrees when fully warmed up.
If you had a 180 degree stat the coolest air coming out of your radiator would be about 180 degrees when fully warmed up.

I agree about the fixed amount of heat being produced. But the thermostat stores some of that heat in the coolant until it reaches the desired temp then puts it in the radiator then blows air through it on to the rider. I would rather have 180 degree air than 200 degree air.

The only time I have heard any of my cooling fans come on is at idle in traffic which means the temp is above the thermostat rating anyway. Therefore there would probably be no cooler benefit sitting still. Just maybe less hot air while moving.

It was just a thought. I've moved on to cooler bikes.

Last edited:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I think I should have worded it better. A lower thermostat means that more heat units have to be dissipated, by the cooling system, for a given volume of fuel burned.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is Flat Earth stuff hardly worth debating again, again, and again.

I'd quote the Honda Idenimtsu oil study White Paper but I think I signed a NDA to read it when I was authorized to bulk purchase Honda lubricants. Paraphrased, Honda's own studies done in conjunction with oil suppler Indenimitsu found that 10w30 gave the best combination of lowest oil temperature and lowest operating temperatures of engine bearings and camshaft bushings. This is due to lower heat generation from internal friction compared to marginally thicker 10w40 and higher viscosities. The White Paper study results supported the change Honda made in 2006 to 10w30 as the primary viscosity recommendation for all liquid cooled street bikes starting in model year 2007. Engines that are liquid cooled operate in a narrow band of temperature no matter what the ambient temperature is and thicker oils do not lower temperature, they raise it.

ST1300 thermostats almost always fail open or nearly open resulting in coolant not reaching optimum temperature when going down the road. The air flowing through the radiator does not allow the coolant to fully warm up and the rider sees the 1 to 3 bar "dance". When stopped and idling the coolant fully warms up but doesn't overheat to 4 bars or more because the cooling system is sized and designed properly to transfer the heat generated by the engine to the atmosphere.

The starter valves in Honda's PGM-FI system allow air passage into the intake tract when the throttle body butterflies are closed during idle operation. Adjusting cylinder 2, 3 and 4's vacuum with the master fixed #1's vacuum has the effect to evenly set intake vacuums for idle mixtures. When the 4 separate butterflies open at off idle and progressively higher throttle settings the tiny starter valve passages have no effect on individual fuel air mixtures thus a throttle body synch has no affect on enrichening the mixtures to lower exhaust gas temperatures at operating RPMs. Honda's own description of the throttle body passages was posted here with a cross sectional diagram of the TB and the starter valve circuits. Saying different doesn't change facts.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
This is Flat Earth stuff hardly worth debating again, again, and again.
Blasphemy, sez I!!!
What is a motorcycle forum, without the traditional oil and coolant debates?
Who do you think you are, anyway, coming in here and trying to shut down an engine / oil / coolant / blinker fluid thread?!
And oh, by the way... what tyres should I buy, now that these are nearly bald? :rofl1: :biggrin: ;)

As an off and on again student of igofar i can attest that what he says actualy works. If you are not a believer i suggest you secdule a ride and garage time with him or aniwack. They know what they are talking about. I ride hard and idle in intersections in over 100 degree heat all summer long and the changes they make make a HUGE difference. We have 13 1300s, they all ride differently and you can definitely tell the difference. As john said "trust the igofar science".

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
ST1300 thermostats almost always fail open or nearly open resulting in coolant not reaching optimum temperature when going down the road. The air flowing through the radiator does not allow the coolant to fully warm up and the rider sees the 1 to 3 bar "dance".
Just my two cents from car work again!

It is kind of backwards thinking, but a stuck open thermostat could actually cause a hotter engine on newer vehicles, although the water temperature will remain cooler than ideal, which is what drrod was pondering several posts previous. Older vehicles (pre electronics) were "dumb" in that they did not advance and retard the timing, so a stuck open thermostat would just normally never achieve the correct operating temperature for the vehicle, which has its own problems. But the fuel and air was set.

Newer engines retard the timing slightly and increases fuel to bring the coolant to optimum running temperature (normal cold start up procedure). Essentially burning additional fuel to heat things up and retarding the timing to allow a less complete burn in the cylinder. Once the engine reaches the correct temperature it advances the timing and trims the fuel back, relying on its "knock" sensors to make sure it does not go too far. From that point it is up to the thermostat to regulate the temperature and keep it within set parameters. If it is always dropping below the set point the ECU will put the engine back into "cold start" mode to get back to that set parameter. You can actually watch this on cars with OBD2 readers if you access the timing info and water temperatures.

As several have mentioned the laws of the thermodynamics are set, more fuel = more heat. With retarded timing you also get additional heat from that burning fuel since you do not get an efficient burn. Retarding causes fuel to not be fully burnt by the end of the compression stroke, which causes more heat as it completely burns on the down stroke before the exhaust valve opens. I assume this is why people will notice a difference in idle, heat, power, and mpg when changing a thermostat that is not functioning correctly.

If any of you have experienced a knock sensor failure on your vehicles, you will notice the vehicle has poor performance and terrible mpg. Essentially the engine is "stuck" in cold start mode because it can't tell where the engine is knocking at, so it will default to this condition to protect the motor instead of blindly advancing timing. The same thing is happening on a stuck open thermostat, it is just cycling in and out instead of constant.

Now, about if one oil weight/brand is cooler than another - I am not touching that... :p

Anyway! Most minds are made up by experience and/or research. I am not telling everyone to go change their thermostat, but I could see why it would cause excessive heat, especially at the headers if the engine was stuck in "cold start" cycle. One of my first cars was a supercharged Cobra Mustang 5.0. I couldn't get that car to run without overheating until I figured out the previous owner put in a 165 degree thermostat, the oem was 182. Once I changed it I no longer had issues keeping it cool.

-Ryan

Last edited:
Top Bottom