heat on my legs

jwayden

John Wayden
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Between my Tourmaster Solution Boots and THESE I no longer have issues when riding through 100+ desert temps.

Of course the CoolShirt keeping my core cool and a CamelBack to stay hydrated helps too!

Bike
2003 UltraGlide
OK, my 2 cents worth (again)...
Just remove the inner cowls. I cut mine (with a utility knife) and re-installed the lower part. But you definately do not need to do that, just take the whole dang things out. The inner cowls are the black plastic piesces that surround the forks. There are two pushpins at the top (by the "hot pockets"), then there is a row of pushpins and one screw on each side (above the front fender). These two plastic pieces force ALL the air in the engine compartment to go through the radiator.
Take 'em out and your engine surface temperature will be a little cooler, your gas tank will be much cooler, your compartments will no longer be "hot pockets", and the air that exits the fairing by your legs will be much cooler. The thermocouple (air temperature sensor) is mounted to the right one, most just tie wrap it to something in the area. Like I said, I left the lower portion of mine in place so was able to leave it attached to the inner cowl. I cut mine on a natural curve line about mid section of the horn vent holes. I did that so that I could re-use the bottom pushpins and screw, you don't have to do that (I am just a little anal [or fussy]), I have heard many people just remove them completely with absolutely no problems. The goal is to allow cooler ambient air to enter into the engine compartment around the radiator (it will still get enough air through the radiator, like a naked bike does).
Try it (you can always put 'em back in) and you will see for your self...
Huge difference in heat, plus you can put you cell phone in the pocket without it melting down, and your gas won't boil in the tank (mine was uncomfortable to touch, now is normal for ambient).
I wouldn't want to ride one without this being done to it!

OP
OP
SPEED396
Bike
2006 st1300a
Thats a great idea "GO FASTER" lol,i pick up my very expensive plastic deflectors tomorrow so that will be my first step.And i hope it starts cooling down soon that will help a little im sure because when it gets cold i will want the heat on my legs lol

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Thats a great idea "GO FASTER" lol,i pick up my very expensive plastic deflectors tomorrow so that will be my first step.And i hope it starts cooling down soon that will help a little im sure because when it gets cold i will want the heat on my legs lol
Funny thing, you can't feel it in the winter.

OP
OP
SPEED396
Bike
2006 st1300a
Ok so my deflectors came in today i cant wait to get off work and go install them,im glad there rubber instead of plastic i will let everybody know soon how good they work.72 hour dry time so let you know in a couple days

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Ok so my deflectors came in today i cant wait to get off work and go install them,im glad there rubber instead of plastic i will let everybody know soon how good they work.72 hour dry time so let you know in a couple days
Hope it helps.

I think in AZ, that means a 72 second dry time. :rofl1:

OP
OP
SPEED396
Bike
2006 st1300a
Ok so after using my new fairing deflectors this is what i think,it helps move the hot air away from my upper thighs down to just above my ankle's,but now i feel the hot air on my lower ankle's and sides of my boots,is it worth 190.00 for deflectors ? yes because it does help,it does not fix the problem but definitley helps.My next step is to look into shin gaurds,someone said they helped them so thats my next step,i have heard i could take apart my inner fairing but i like leaving stuff the way it came from the factory thats just me i guess lol and someone said header tape works to but i know on car headers it will rust/ruin your hearers so thats out.I guess i have to just "MAN UP" and deal with it for now.I hope this info helps someone else,and i talked to honda usa direct they said they never heard of the problem lol that is soooo funny because i have talked to many many people that have the same issue but i love my st so it is what it is,time to move on to buying a new windshield then bar risers then exaust tips,if i can get them approved by my wife lol

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
i have heard i could take apart my inner fairing
This is actually pretty easy to do... just 1 screw under the headlight and a few push pins... Some find it helps a lot, I've never tried it myself.

Also, some have taken the tip over covers off to allow heat to escape via that route, and have reported that helps. I'd give those 2 things a try first to see how they work for you.

jwayden

John Wayden
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
SPEED396 said:
My next step is to look into shin gaurds,someone said they helped them so thats my next step...
The shin and knee guards work fine for me; but bear in mind I do not have the fairing deflector! :shrug1:

Dex

Bike
ST1300A
I have both an 1100 and a 1300. The 1100 has tupperware over a tubular frame. Whilst the frame does get hot the rider is shielded from it to a degree.
HOWEVER, the 1300 has an aluminium beam frame that sits directly alongside the riders legs. Frame gets hot - riders legs get hot.
The ideal solution would be an insulating layer that sits between the beam frame and the riders legs. I haven't yet seen anyone with a solution to this other than thicker clothing over the legs.
Anyone seen anything that would do this?

My bike was so hot it just couldn't be ridden, on even a moderatly warm day. I took the advice from alot of people on here and took out the inner cowls. I took it for a ride and it definately helped but I found the outer fairing pieces were coming apart under the headlight corners from the wind blast. I then sawed the cowls with a bandsaw to remove most of the material and just leaving the corners to hold the fairing together. It made a big difference, and now that the temps are colder I just reinstalled the remaining pieces(no tools required) and now enjoy some warmth. They will come out again next spring.
I remove my cowls for summer, and reinstall for cooler weather. I use a zip-tie when the cowls are out to better hold the side panels in. I only learned about the zip-tie this year, the last 3 years I just removed the cowls without adding the zip-tie. I tested the bike to top speed with the cowls out, nothing happened, nothing broke.

Bike
2005 ST1300PA
STOC #
I removed my right side inner cowl this past weekend due to an unrelated issue and saw no ill effects. I plan to replace it this week because I prefer the finished appearance the inner cowls provide.

Top Bottom