Heated Clothing Ques..

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Gerbings is awesome, especially for those of us with little natural insulation. My powerlet plug is wired through a Heatroller so I can dial in my desired toast factor. On a long ride in the rain, it can be VERY nice to have the heat on maybe 1/3 to 1/2.

Bike
2005 ST1300
A good <snug> fit is even more important with electrics. I'm very satisfied with my Gerbings liner with just the on/off switch.

LOL seems the common age for riders looking into electric gear is about 50. I used to be ok in cool or cold weather but now I get the shivers quickly and it achyness gets downright painful. Now I use a homemade electric jacket but may scrounge for funds to get a warm n safe or gerbings to get additional durability. Symtech grip heaters are great too.
I turn 32 in just over 2 weeks. Today I got myself an early birthday present, Tourmaster Jacket liner and gloves, Since I ride year round in Colorado I am tired of being a "Daddycicle" as my daughter calls me.

STOC #
We have run all the following simultaneously, on my 2002 ST1100, with no problems:
- headlights including hi-beams
- hotgrips heated grips
- heated vest rider and passenger
- heated seat rider and passenger

I don't operate my auxiliary lights when all the above are on. I have run the twin 55w aux lamps when by myself, with heated seat/vest/grips. No problems.

Your ST1300 has even more electrical capacity, although some of that is used by the bike itself (computer/EFI). You won't have any problem - don't need to skim on the low amp version.

The low-amp version would be ideal for bikes like the Vstrom which are electrically challenged.

I have a quick question for tourmaster users. I have read in other areas where some have complained about the heated gloves not working that well.
How well do the heated gloves work?
I am thinking of a liner/gloves purchase soon.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Powerlet heated gloves need heated grips to assist them for me. In the 30's my hands still get cold even at max power. There is also a hot spot on my left pinky that will get a burn while the rest of my hand is cold. Left one quit working this weekend.

As for the power I would get the high power jacket liner and not a vest.
You can always turn down power consumption but it's there if you need it.
On the ST1300 you should have enough power for 2 sets.

Took a ride to SO's daugher school this weekend. 4hr round trip.
SO had my heated jacket cranked, gloves (make that glove) cranked and glommed the liners out of my pants to put over her leather pants for the trip back. Yah know cause it was SO FREEZING (50?);)

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Took a ride to SO's daugher school this weekend. 4hr round trip. SO had my heated jacket cranked, gloves (make that glove) cranked and glommed the liners out of my pants to put over her leather pants for the trip back. Yah know cause it was SO FREEZING (50?);)
So you're bringing her to Moonshine 09, RIGHT?!?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Only if the Jimmy Choo heated boots come in time.
That's a 3 day trip so we are looking at the painful process of trimming it down to 5 pairs max.
Does prada make a heated bag?
:duck:

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Thanks! You just sold me on the warm and safe! The Powerlets look good but if they can't provide warmth in the 30s then I'll pass. However I did order the powerlet dual power outlets.
You might want to go with the heated grips as well. $30 or so for the dual star or symtech and they are always with you. Lets you wear you lighter weight summer gloves longer and 2 less things to plug in.

BTW don't know if they are all like this, but the powerlet glove's liners are not attached at the fingers. You have to grab the end when removing the gloves or you pull the liner out of the over glove particularly if your hands got a little sweaty. RPITA to get them back in. DAMHIK :)

If your at the NJtech day I'll show you what I mean if I can make it.

Also Powerlet is rebranded WarmNSafe. I haven't looked but WnS may have additional offerings that powerlet doesn't have.

Gamecock

Hey Y'all, Watch This!
Bike
2006 FJR
Picked up a pair of the First Gear (Warm-N-Safe) gloves this weekend at Cycle Gear. I hooked them up and turned them on in the driveway to test the warmth, but it hasn't been cold enough around here yet to give 'em a serious test on the road.

I like the fact that the gloves are not bulky like some other heated gloves I've seen and I like that these are definitely motorcycle gloves with hard knuckle protection and appropriate padding in other sensitive areas.

I think I'll put a little velcro on the bottom of the heat troller so I can stick it right to the velcro patches on my Roadcrafter pants for easy access while riding.

Obviously, our temperatures around here aren't as cold as the temps. a lot of ya'll are used to, so I think the gloves will be enough to extend my riding season through the Winter, but if its not, I may go back and get the First Gear jacket liner at some point. It looks like the gloves will plug directly into the sleeves of the jacket liner.

Follow

TEAM COLORADO
Bike
Two wheels
STOC #
LOL to Karen...
I Got my Gerbing coat the other year and gloves a few years ago. I have to wear liners with the gloves, they have hot spots and if I dont wear the liners the gloves will give me blisters if I have the heat turned up all the way, which sometimes I have to (It gets cold in Co).
I don't have heated pants but with core staying warm I can ride all day. After all these years I have never found any riding pants that fit right (short legs..any suggestions would be helpful). I Also wear a Joe Rocket coat over Gerbing coat.
When it is cold I don't think I will ever go without heated gear again...never ever ever....been thru Snow,rain,hail, glad I had them.

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100/A
STOC #
I have the Tourmaster synergy jacket and I find it one of the best investments I have made to date. Living in Canada I get to use it on a fairly regular basis during the late fall and early spring, it has extended my riding season by at least two months. Only complaint would be the stiffness of the controller wire, it needs to be a little more flexable but I can live with it. Two thumbs up.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I've had my Gerbing liner for several years now and for those that never used electric it's like having the sun shine on your back keeping you warm all the time.

My Gerbing seems to be shrinking lately, don't know why. Wish it had expandable pannels in it.

Warm and safe huh?

I had Gerbings $75 heat troller and sold it. When I need heat I just plug in and leave it on. I never get too hot.

Top Bottom