Heated clothing....

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
People still use wires for audio and heat?
Yes, some of us still do. Some of us still use old flip phones too! :eek: :rofl1:
And some of us still ride 20 year old motorcycles a little bit now and then ...
BTW, if you look real close at your heated gear, you'll probably find a wire running to your jacket - from your battery or at least your wiring harness. ;)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
You can power heated gear without wires?
That's why I have never been fascinated with the remote control idea for heated gear.
At the end of the day, you are still 'wired' to the bike.
I have two wires, the remote users have one wire.
Since my two wires come from the same spot, I just tape them together to make it look like one wire ... ;)

OP
OP

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I wasn't enamored with the idea of a "bluetooth" remote control for the heated gear either to be honest. But there is no way to adjust the basic glove controller I'm using now whilst underway. At least no safe way. I felt the same about the intended mounting of a wired controller on the fuel tank cover. Taking my eyes off the road way too long to mess with it in that location. Mounting the controls up on the handlebars, or forward fairing, up high would make sense. Doing this with wired controls would require some extending and soldering of the the cables. Again, not a big deal, but still work that would need to be done. Or I could simply go with the remote control setup, add some velcro, get on and ride. I haven't seen anyone complaining about the remote reliability so I'll give it a try.

RT

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Guys are just so much more awesome than I am, what can I say. The last time I pulled an earbud loose from catching the wire fastening the helmet strap or by scratching my jaw with a gloved hand was ....... well, the last time I did that.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wasn't enamored with the idea of a "bluetooth" remote control for the heated gear either to be honest. But there is no way to adjust the basic glove controller I'm using now whilst underway. At least no safe way. I felt the same about the intended mounting of a wired controller on the fuel tank cover. Taking my eyes off the road way too long to mess with it in that location. Mounting the controls up on the handlebars, or forward fairing, up high would make sense. Doing this with wired controls would require some extending and soldering of the the cables. Again, not a big deal, but still work that would need to be done. Or I could simply go with the remote control setup, add some velcro, get on and ride. I haven't seen anyone complaining about the remote reliability so I'll give it a try.

RT
There are many ways to do it and all of them work for those that like to do it that way. I like having the controller on my jacket or suit where I can adjust it with either hand w/o looking. Those that like it fastened to the bike somewhere like that way too.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Guys are just so much more awesome than I am, what can I say. The last time I pulled an earbud loose from catching the wire fastening the helmet strap or by scratching my jaw with a gloved hand was ....... well, the last time I did that.
Never used earbuds, always used headsets with speakers in the helmet.
The EdSets has a nice module on the side of the helmet where the wire runs to the audio hook up - much better than the J&M variety IMHO (having lots of miles on both). IIRC, he actually put kevlar in the headset cord so they are pretty tough to break. He (again IIRC) is a musician and an audio engineer so his helmet speakers are quite a step above the 'normal'.

Top Bottom