Heated Gloves vs Heated Grips

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Gloves or grips? Yes.

Gloves keep the backs of your hands warm but the insides of your fingers and palm can get pretty cold from the lever and grip.

Grips by themselves don't do it for me when it's really cold, but they are handy when the weather turns unexpectedly chilly and you don't have the gloves and wiring harness with you. You can never leave the grips behind.

The combination of the two is just heaven-sent.

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Something that has not yet been covered in this thread...

Ever since I got my crampbuster I comfortably ride with my fingers covering the levers 100% of the time. Heated grips don't help fingers covering the brake and clutch.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
+1 on both. Grips are always available.
I went with the heated liner instead of the vest which routes cables for the heated gloves when you need em. I have the powerlet gloves which don't cut it by themselves when it's in the 20's.

Another thing to try is handgaurds to block the wind. iirc its the vstrom guard kit that can be retrofitted but I don't remember. It comes with a replacement standoff clutch/brake pivot bolt to mount. Just add a washer for the bottom side attachment slot and cut off the bar end attachement end so it doesn't interfere with the dash at full lock turn.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I would go with the grips first, and if you get lucky enough to get ones like the FJR factory grips, they are variably adjustable from low to hot to extra crispy burnt. The Hot Grips are good and put out lots of heat too. They will dry your hands out when it's damp or raining, but there is a limit. I find insulated gloves good, but can also insulate the heat from getting to your palms, unless of course you have the grips on extra crispy.
I now have added Gerbings G3's, don't use them much, but when the back of your hands can't stay warm, you'll always appreciate them as an additional part of the arsenal.

Bike
2008 Red ST1300
STOC #
Just installed 2 powerlet jacks under the fairing pockets and a portable heat troller and gloves from powerlet. They work great. Thanks to everyone for the help on the tupperwar removal. Did all three in 3 hours and had the bike back together with no extra parts or broken clips. The powerlet jack make for a very nice job, and the portable troller is nice, just take it off when your done riding. Hands stay warm and you just adjust the troller.
I mounted it on top of the right faring pocket, need a better place but will work on it. I can tell you I love the gloves, might do the grips later.
See how long I can ride here in NH.

Top Bottom