Heated Gloves

Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Good day all,

With income tax fast approaching and the cold weather in full swing, I'm looking to invest in some heated gloves. I dislike dropping so much money on them but, I'm also tired of having numb hands by time i arrive at work! But I digress, What all gloves doe everyone use? I see heated gloves taking up many pages on my amazon and the choices are vast from 20dollar Chinese heated gloves to better known brands that run upwards of 300$!! For Gloves!!!! Its crazy...

So before i get my money I want a plan, and I wonder what everyone else is using? Or what they recommend as far as heated gloves go.

Bike
1998 ST 1100
Speaking from experience, don't bother with the $20 cheapos. I find my Oxford heated grips to be sufficient for most of my needs. But then I don't do much riding in the winter!

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Note that the cheaper ones may only go to size XL, and in general they run a little tight on the hands. I have TourMaster 2.0 gloves that I got about 2 years ago (I think). They work very well but the only pain is having to run the wire from the controller through my jacket sleeves and then repeat the process if I stop and get off the bike for a bit. I recently got a set of Snowdeer battery heated gloves on Amazon. These I like very much and they get really hot such that the first or second heat setting is more than enough. The batteries last for I believe 4 hrs on the 2nd heat setting which is more than enough for winter riding, and you could always get a second set of batteries if you wanted to do so.

heres the ones I now have:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Go to the warm n safe site and look at ours they fit better than the Gerbings and you can get a 15% discount using coupon code Steve on checkout.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have Gerbing gloves still going strong since 2007. I have replaced the variable controller once so far during that time. They were fairly expensive but well worth it to me. I recently took a 30+ mile ride at -2F and the gloves kept me toasty warm. I don't mind running the wire (don't trust batteries to last in these temps). I usually run the wire down each arm between the insulated liners and leave it there all season so I don't have to bother every time I put on the jacket. If I don't use my heated gloves on a relatively warmer day I simply tuck the wire end into the gauntlet.

The Gerbing T5 are good, as are Warm-n-Safe. The Tourmaster gloves are called Synergy. The first version of those were good for cool to cold temps, barely down to freezing temps. But below that they weren't warm enough. The newer versions of these are much better and are still available. I recommend the variable controller. Agree with avoiding the cheap ones. They might keep you warm in tepid temps but may not last or may not work well is truly cold temps.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just got a set of Gordon's (the original Gerbing family) heated gloves made out of deerskin. I've got all the others - the Gerbing T5s (failed twice), the WarmNSafe Ultimate Tours (3 pairs failed), original Gerbing G3s (still working), and even a pair of Widders (laying around). I ride pretty much daily so the gloves get plenty of use. I have to say the Gordon's put out more heat than any heated glove that I have owned up to this point. They are more expensive but they are American made and my experience with their customer service is excellent. FWIW, they also offer a lifetime warranty just as they did in the old days. Of course, that is only good as long as they are in business, but I hope they stay in business a long time! :biggrin:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
It's expensive once, but if you ride a lot in the cool/cold, you won't regret going electric. It's vastly superior to multiple layers and easily controllable real time on the bike.

Unless you use batteries in your gloves, you'll need a heated jacket liner to connect the gloves to. The Gerbing T5 gloves are great as is a WnS heated jacket, with the WnS dual controller. The nice thing about the T5s is they have heat all over your hand, whereas many heated gloves don't heat the palm, presumably because you have heated grips, which I do not.

If you ride in the rain, the T5s are not waterproof for long periods, even thought they have a waterproof/breathable liner. 30 minutes of moderate rain and your hands start to get wet. They're soaked after an hour or two, but they are still mostly warm. I got tired of wet hands, so I purchased a custom heated glove from Ken Phenix. He takes an Olympia WeatherKing glove and adds heat to it. The WK glove has Goretex, which I couldn't find in any other heated glove. I've used them several times in moderate rain, and while the glove leather on the outside was soaked, my hands were bone dry and warm. The downside is the WK gloves are not as flexible, a bit bulkier and don't seem to have heat in the palms, so I only use the WKs if I expect rain.

Bottom line, heated gear and a TPMS are the only two must have farkles for me.

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Go to the warm n safe site and look at ours they fit better than the Gerbings and you can get a 15% discount using coupon code Steve on checkout.
Got to like that!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's expensive once, but if you ride a lot in the cool/cold, you won't regret going electric. It's vastly superior to multiple layers and easily controllable real time on the bike.

Unless you use batteries in your gloves, you'll need a heated jacket liner to connect the gloves to. ...
Absolutely to that first statement. Never regretted my purchase many years ago. I have the earlier version before Gerbing was sold and the quality was reduced. My hands are hot down to about -5F and very warm below that.

NO, to that second statement. You do not need the heated jacket liner to connect the gloves. I have the pigtail that runs down each of the sleeves for the gloves but I don't have the jacket liner and don't need it for my purposes. When I was looking at replacing my variable controller I noted that this pigtail was still available. That was just a few years ago. TM Synergy controllers and cables will also work with Gerbing gloves and liners, and I think maybe Warm-n-Safe will as well.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
NO, to that second statement. You do not need the heated jacket liner to connect the gloves. ...
While correct, it is convenient to have a heated liner with the extra, separate wiring for the gloves.

I had the original Tourmaster synergy liner and gloves. They kept burning out their controllers, so I went with the wireless controllers from warm and safe and modified my liner to take it. Those have worked great, until this last controller, just doesn't seem to get enough power to the gloves. So, after this season, I think I will try to set up a single wired controller for my heated seat and then use my wired dual controller to operate the gloves and liner and do away with the wireless controller.

Since my electric riding season isn't as long as many others, my gear lasts a very long time. I used my original set up (which still works, but the liner has a couple of hot spots in it) for about 10 years. I picked up my newer liner at the end of season 2018 for only about $135. i thought that was a pretty good deal! :thumb:

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
The nice way to do this, is to purchase both the heated jacket liner (not vest!) and gloves. They don't have to match brands. The connectors are common throughout all the brands.

I'd probably go with the Venture heated jacket liner based on this YouTube review.

Note the picture at 3 minutes into the video:
Heated Jacket.jpg

That tells me all I want to know.

I came across an advertisement for Cycle Gear heated gloves today and watched the video. They would be high on my list to replace my Gerbing T5s, which I'm okay with, but won't buy again.

The Cycle Gear gloves have more insulation than most it seems built in. Plus, the wires run on the back of the hand and down both sides of the fingers. With heated grips, you don't need your palms heated usually. Plus, the blood flows across the back of the hand. If you want more warmth in your hands...then get the blood flowing. ;)

I also liked the crash protection they have in their new gloves. So many of the winter gloves, whether heated or just insulated, don't have much if anything. I don't know why. Could it be that they figure you'll slide on the ice and not get road rash on your hands?

Chris

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Agreed, the liner is not "required" to run the gloves, but if it's cold enough to want heated gloves, you'll most likely want a heated liner as well. And, I agree with Chris, get a full jacket liner, not a vest.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
SupraSabre... new batteries in the remote controller might fix you up. If you have the older one with CR2032's there was an upgrade to one with AA's. Alkaline's better IMHO, but I replace them every year. Also cycle the knobs full off and back on if not already off.
If the batteries are dead or bluetooth lost, amount of heat will default to roughly 30% or so... maybe half (whatever W&S says).

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I have a set of the wired Gerbings; great gloves for longer distances where it's worth the hassle of hooking up the cables and controller. For shorter rides, I have a set of battery operated gloves from Cabela's. They're good for a couple of hours at full heat (which usually isn't needed.) I use them for our winter lunch rides, an hour out and an hour back. I believe they cost a couple hundred dollars a few years back, but they work well and have held up over time. For commuting, you'd need to charge them each night.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I went with heated liner gloves, that way I can choose which outerwear glove I wish to wear, gauntlets for extra protection, my waterproof gloves for in the rain. It’s another option and they sell for around $80 Canadian

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
For those that have glove liners, can you post up what you have and how you like them? Do the liners have a phone friendly finger tip?
I'm considering this for milder temps.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
For those that have glove liners, can you post up what you have and how you like them? Do the liners have a phone friendly finger tip?
I'm considering this for milder temps.
Paul, I have a set of Gerbing liners that I seldom use, due to the bulkiness, when worn with my gauntlet gloves. They do NOT have a phone friendly finger tip. I used the liners when I was using a heated vest, but now that I’ve gone with the heated jacket, I don’t feel the need for heated gloves. It seems that if my arms are warm, my hands stay warm. I rode in the mid 30’s for several hours this week and never turned on the heated grips, using my normal insulated winter gloves.

John

STOC #
Good day all,

With income tax fast approaching and the cold weather in full swing, I'm looking to invest in some heated gloves. I dislike dropping so much money on them but, I'm also tired of having numb hands by time i arrive at work! But I digress, What all gloves doe everyone use? I see heated gloves taking up many pages on my amazon and the choices are vast from 20dollar Chinese heated gloves to better known brands that run upwards of 300$!! For Gloves!!!! Its crazy...

So before i get my money I want a plan, and I wonder what everyone else is using? Or what they recommend as far as heated gloves go.
If you need XXL, warm&safe check out the for sale section

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I have the TourMaster Synergy heated vest and gloves - got them on closeout for a great price. They work very well. The vest will burn you out if you put it on high. The gloves won't, but my hands never feel cold.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
@paulcb , Heated glove liners don't have phone friendly fingers since they are to be worn under your regular gloves. If you use heated glove liners you can then use outer gloves over them of your choice. Choose a pair with the phone friendly tips.

Top Bottom