Heated gloves

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Larry here is a link to the Warm N safe

Those puppies aren't cheap, and there are too many to choose from.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nope, not cheap. Not inexpensive either. :oops:
That's why I just ordered a HeatDemon from the link that Larry posted (member on ADVrider.com who has a bunch of them). I figure for $20 shipped I can take a chance on it and if it doesn't work out then I reconsider spending 3x as much (including the discount).

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Hi All,
I am considering upgrading to a warn n safe 65 watt jacket liner. I have two questions.
First does anyone have experience with this product, and secondly, I was hoping to use my tourmaster synergy 2.0 dual rheostat controller with this jacket. Is it possible?
Thanks
Jeff

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
How well do the 7.4V heated gloves compare for heat output with the 12V heated gloves?
While I haven't used 12v, I don't think you need to worry.

My 7.4v gloves will go got enough that my hands sweat (in approx -2C ambient temps, travelling approx 70mph).

I have heated grips, and I've never needed to use both.

One would assume that 12v gloves wired to the bike are at least as warm as 7.4v gloves.

Incidentally, RST apparently sell an adaptor kit that plugs in where the batteries do, and wires you to the bike to run them from 12v. At least, according to the sales guy when I bought the gloves. They also sell spare batteries etc. (I didn't buy more batteries or the adaptor)

OP
OP
Tom P
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Emailed WnS and Mike replied that the dual remote Heat Troller , #11190200, will work with Gordon's heated gear.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Received the HeatDemon I ordered and tested it with my Gerbing gloves. Works very well so far. Hard to really test it though since temps today topped out at around 53F. Will have to wait a day or two and test on a ride at temps closer to zeroF. But I think this control will work great. I did have to very slightly modify my cable coming from my Aux fuse block. I pulled an extra 12 inches out from under the seat since this controller only has 5 inch leads instead of 18 inch leads. No biggie. Had extra cable coiled up under there. Took 2 minutes. Will be mounting this new controller in the same location as my old one since that is an easy location to see and control the settings.

OP
OP
Tom P
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Ok, followup on heated gear. After doing my homework and looking at all the options I pull the trigger and bought Volts heat gloves and jacket liner last March.
Why Volt?
1. Very good reviews on quality and performance.
2. Options that attracked me were the battery power and the controls on the gloves.
3. Price. I would have liked gloves made in USA but being on a fixed retirement income and living on my motorcycle I had to consider this, and at about $240.00 less that the other options that did not have the features, I went with these.

I did not get opportunity to actual test the gear until recently but could see right away the quality of construction
Both the gloves and vest are impressive. From the materials to the fit and finish, they are some of the nicest I have seen in motorcycle gear.
I recently did get back on the road again, crossing Kansas, heading to Jackson, Wyoming. The temps for my all day riding where in the mid 30's. I now realize why people are so excited about heated gear. I did not even realize how cold it was until I would stop and unplug for a break. Never went above medium on the settings.
The controller buttons on the gloves worked great and were easy to operate. Even the vest controls at my waste were pretty easy to use. The liner has heating elements down the arms, chest, back and neck that worked well to distribute the heat evenly. The liner on it's own is very warm and comfortable as are the gloves. Here in Jackson I have walked and road around using the battery power, which has worked very well in 8-16 degrees so far.
No rain yet to test the water resistant of the gloves.
So far I am very happy with my decision to purchase these.
I did have opportunity to need customer service when I first recieved the gear and I have to say it is one of the best customer services I have ever use. Colby was so good to deal with and my issue was solved without a hitch!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad it worked out for you. Hopefully you will get a long service life from the products.
I'm still enjoying my Gordon's gloves as they are real 'flame throwers' when it comes to heat.
And they do work fine with a Gerbing or WarmNSafe jacket liner and a Gerbing or WarmNSafe controller.

For the last 20 years I have used Gerbing heated gloves (and socks) in the winter. Apart from one claim under warranty when the wires broke, they served me well. With improvements in technology I felt it was time to consider battery alternatives so I no longer walk away from the bike with the cables still plugged in!

So earlier this year I bought the Racer Connetic 4 battery heated gloves. These are 7V. They have 3 heat settings plus a boost and true to the French manufacturer's claims they last 3 hours on heat 3 and 1.5 hours on boost. In addition, each glove has 2 connectors thus doubling the active timescales if extra batteries are bought. The ambient temperature of late has been 5 deg C and heat 3 is just sufficient to keep your hands warm, so Boost has not been needed.

While the batteries do not cause a problem inside their pouches, clearly you sacrifice "feel" of the grips to a certain extent. The version I bought has limited protection (e.g. knuckles) in the event of a spill. However, other versions are available with the extra protection.

Here is a link to my pair:-

FYI I also have the Hondaline heated grips - [perhaps someone can explain to me why with these and the Oxford grips, the left hand grip is always hotter? This has been the case on a number of bikes I have owned.]

Paul

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
For the last 20 years I have used Gerbing heated gloves (and socks) in the winter. Apart from one claim under warranty when the wires broke, they served me well. With improvements in technology I felt it was time to consider battery alternatives so I no longer walk away from the bike with the cables still plugged in!

So earlier this year I bought the Racer Connetic 4 battery heated gloves. These are 7V. They have 3 heat settings plus a boost and true to the French manufacturer's claims they last 3 hours on heat 3 and 1.5 hours on boost. In addition, each glove has 2 connectors thus doubling the active timescales if extra batteries are bought. The ambient temperature of late has been 5 deg C and heat 3 is just sufficient to keep your hands warm, so Boost has not been needed.

While the batteries do not cause a problem inside their pouches, clearly you sacrifice "feel" of the grips to a certain extent. The version I bought has limited protection (e.g. knuckles) in the event of a spill. However, other versions are available with the extra protection.

Here is a link to my pair:-

FYI I also have the Hondaline heated grips - [perhaps someone can explain to me why with these and the Oxford grips, the left hand grip is always hotter? This has been the case on a number of bikes I have owned.]

Paul
The think the reverse should be true. The throttle side heating element is insulated from the metal handlebar by the throttle tube and most if not all the heat from the element is transferred to the grip. The clutch side is directly against the metal handlebar which acts as a heat sink to absorb some of the heat from the element thus lowering the amount of heat that get into the grip. That's my experience with my motorcycles with heated grips. Some heated grip manufacturers include a piece of heat shrink tubing to slip over the left handlebar or label elements "throttle" or "clutch" with the throttle side being smaller in order to even out the heat to the grip. I've never heard of the clutch side getting hotter if installed correctly.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
...[perhaps someone can explain to me why with these and the Oxford grips, the left hand grip is always hotter? This has been the case on a number of bikes I have owned.]

Paul
It has to do with the gloves being powered by 12V DC current. The voltage drops over the longer length of wire. As the voltage drops, the amount of heat drops as well.

Chris

Top Bottom