Heated Grips or Heated Gloves?

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Waiting for my new 06 ST to arrive at dealership new week. I'm looking at hand warmth issues. Which do you consider more convenient/efficient: heated grips or heated gloves? I'd like to decide early in case I want him to install heated grips prior to taking delivery. Also, at 6'2" with a 32" inseam, I'll probably set the seat height at the highest setting for optimum leg room. Does this setup justify the installation of bar risers, too?

Thanks for your thoughts1 :bow1:
GLOVES!

STOC #
Up until recently, I had experience only with the heated gloves from Tourmaster (the Synergy line). I liked them as they connect nicely with their heated jacket liner (which I also have). The gloves are rated (according to them) at 24 watts (2.1 amps); the jacket liner is 76 watts (6.7 amps).

For new bikes, that (extra load) on the charging system is not much of an issue. For us others with the "wimpy" alternator, I was 'doing the math'! I was not confident in the charging system to installing high(er) amp heated grips and using an electric jacket liner. So the "wrap around" of heated winter gloves seems the choice.

For the gloves, 24 watts (total) means 12 watts per hand and (for me) is not a lot of heat, but is some heat. I find that if I keep my core (and my neck)warm with a heated jacket, it tends to push out the heat to the extremities (hands, feet, head).

Then I got an additional bike that had factory heated grips (and a huge charging system). I could not believe the amount heat that poured out of those grips! That, and a fairing that also shields my hands, I now give the gloves to my SO to wear. Hands are hot and no wires going between my jacket and hands! I like that. Heated grips are wonderful. And they are always there (like others pointed out).

If really cold, I will still wear my heated jacket liner. (or skip that too and turn on the heated seat...)

murray56

MC Murray
STOC #
I have the Hondaline Heated Grips installed on my 05. This is my first experience with heated grips, as well as my first purchase of a heated vest added to my gear choices.
As already noted, a heated vest or jacket liner is the ultimate gear choice for warmth.
I too use the grips year round and find they add to my riding pleasure.

I now can see how the possibility of having gloves, due to my multiple bike syndrom, could be an advantage. However, grips do take the cold bite off.

After initially riding my bike ~2K miles, I added the single piece MCL riser. This provided better riding comfort for the LD rides. Less pressure on the palms of my hands, and my upper torso {shoulder/back} pain went away.
I have also added the MCL highway wings. Periodically my knees bother me and this farkel helps in that department.

I have kept my stock seat and find it is ok for my tail side for any amount of mileage. After trying different position heights, I keep it in the highest position. I am 6'1" and have a 32 inseam.

STOC #
Both.
Heated grips good down to 40F and gloves for any colder than that.

For less than $30 for the symtec heated grips why not both.
+1, both. Heated grip mean being able to run longer into the year with sumer gloves. Heated gloves for the sub-20s rides in the winter. Where the grips really help me is in the Fall and Spring. When I ride to work in the morning it is in the 30s or 40s, but for the ride home 50s to 70s. With heated grips I don't need to be switching gloves mid day. However extended riding in the 20s requires heated gloves.

Last edited:

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I can't help you with the heat question, but I would advise you to ride the bike for a while before you put risers on. Try to find someone who has risers to let you test ride. I'm only 5' 9" with a 30" inseam and risers don't work for me. I ride with my seat on the highest setting in the front and the middle setting in the back. Good Luck!

Bike
2000 ST 1100
Wish I'd had both many times in 45 years of riding. Bought my '00 with heated grips but find my Gerbings more useful down to 20 degrees. My commute is 27 miles each way and I ride year round. Wouldn't trade the Gerbings for anything. I'm also an amature piano player with severe frostbite memory in the fingers, courtesy Army '67. I switch between my '73 BMW and the 2000 ST and love the gloves. Good luck!

STOC #
Whenever a heated grip thread gets going, it is always brought up that Symtec, Dual Stars, or Kymtec are cheaper and better then the Honda factory. I agree to an extent. I have Kymtec based kits are both my ST1300 and my F650GS.

The main advantage to the Honda grips is plug and play. Many of us don't mind building a custom wire loom, and filling out the components required to put a factory looking grip system together. There are however, many on this site who are electrically challenged, and the cost of the Honda grips are a fair price for the ease of installation, or a STealer installed farkle at bike purchase. I would never want a member to feel they got cheated, ripped off, or overpaid. For them it might be the best choice.

I had heated grips on my BMW and decided all bikes should have them. First farkle for the ST was HotGrips. Love 'em. They put out more heat than my BMW grips and cost less than the Honda grips. But my fingertips do get cold at 30 degrees. Haven't tried heated gloves, but they would probably take care of that.

Bought my ST used and and it came with Gen Mar risers. I like the reach to the bars as is, so I haven't tried it without them. (I'm 6' 3", 36" sleeve length).

Ken

STOC #
On the bar risers, waited all of 3 weeks to get mine (one week of that was waiting for them in the mail). I knew almost from the first five minutes that I was not going to enjoy the riding position (I came off a Goldwing).
If you know the position is not going to work for you, don't suffer just to confirm what you already know.

I have already put my opinion heated grips. If you opt for heated gloves, just keep them in one of the saddlebags when not being used, that way you have them with you.

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #
choice is heated grips because of today !
I left and it was 50 out used the grips with summer gloves= not too bad .
i RODE TO LUNCH AND IT WAS 67 OUT .
iT WAS A GOOD DAY FOR A RIDE and summer gloves were great .
I was late comming back from lunch and it was worth it .
Stop by a friends house and stayedfor a lot longer than I thought I would and rode home. Grips on high with 43 outside.
A little cool on the back on the hands but it was a nice ride home .
I have winter gloves and never considered taking them as I have heated grips!
Would I like heated gloves - - Maybe but its not worth it $ at this time .

As someone else said you mileage may differ LOL

STOC #
6' ,30" inseam. I didn't get the MCL risers until after my first riding season, wish I had got them after the first day, they made all the difference to me. I also got the the MCL blades after the first season and boy do I like them. They sure make long trips more comfortable.

I'm putting heated grips on my bike in a couple weeks paired with a heat troller. I also ordered some electric gear so I guess my vote is for both! I will let you know how I like them later in the year after I have the chance to use them for a while !

By the way, :welcome1: you will really enjoy the ST, I know I do!:D

PB

I have the Honda heated grips and they work wonderful along with my
GORTEX gloves when it gets really cold ... Think I have had them on once
this year ...

Could some of you offer additional comments on the bar risers issue as well? Thanks.
[Carl]: Drive your bike for a while to get accostomed to the seating position. Then one day, put it on the centerstand. Sit on your bike. Close your eyes. Extend your arms in a comfy riding position, then see where your hands are. If they're close to the stock grips, you're golden. If higher or farther back, you're a candidate for back and stomach muscle strengthening -- or -- a set of risers.

Top Bottom