Heated grips

Bike
St1300 2004
Hi Guys

My control panel for the grips states it’s off. But the grips are warm.

Any ideas where the fault might be found

Chris

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Welcome Chris,

What model bike and what model grips do you have? Are they OEM or aftermarket grips?

My first thoughts are either the controller is stuck on, the "on" light (if it has one) is broken, or you're feeling the residual heat when you turn it off - but without knowing the other details about type etc these are just first stabs in the dark.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Para1961
Bike
St1300 2004
Welcome Chris,

What model bike and what model grips do you have? Are they OEM or aftermarket grips?

My first thoughts are either the controller is stuck on, the "on" light (if it has one) is broken, or you're feeling the residual heat when you turn it off - but without knowing the other details about type etc these are just first stabs in the dark.
Hi
St1300 A 52 registered

it’s a genuine Honda heated grips
it’s a genuine Honda heated grips

if you press the green button twice the green led flashing then adjust accordingly

if you press the red to cut off there is no lights but grips still warm

wire colours are
Solid green
White/green stripe
White/ black stripe

which is live?

thought about putting a switch in glove box to isolate

Bike
2010 ST1300
Assuming you are waiting enough time for the grips to cool down, I'd pull the plug/connector between the control and the grips (this is the output side of the controller), and use a voltmeter to see if there is power leaving the controller when it is off. Faster and easier to do this than install another switch.

If from a cold start (cold grips, bike has not been used overnight, for example) if you turn on the ignition and start the bike w/o touching the grips control, will the grips heat up on their own (power stuck in the 'on' position inside the controller)?

OP
OP
Para1961
Bike
St1300 2004
Assuming you are waiting enough time for the grips to cool down, I'd pull the plug/connector between the control and the grips (this is the output side of the controller), and use a voltmeter to see if there is power leaving the controller when it is off. Faster and easier to do this than install another switch.

If from a cold start (cold grips, bike has not been used overnight, for example) if you turn on the ignition and start the bike w/o touching the grips control, will the grips heat up on their own (power stuck in the 'on' position inside the controller)?
With reference to the later cold start yes without touching the controller

thought about bypassing to a switch and turn on as required

can you still buy the controller

Bike
2010 ST1300
can you still buy the controller
No idea. Go to Ron Ayers website, discounthondaparts.com, hondapartshouse.com, cyclepartsnation.com and look over the fiches for your bike. Someone else might chime in today. A better question would be, "Can I use another brand heat 'troller - like Warm and Safe's?"
I don't know the answer to that, either.

Top Bottom