Heated Grips

JZH

International Bodger
I ordered just the left and right grips and the electronic controller separately from David Silver spares in the UK (and made the wiring harness myself), but it still wasn't exactly cheap. But the OEM look and feel was a priority to me at the time.

Sorry, I don't have the part numbers any more, but I may have posted them here at the time (I installed the grips a few years ago--maybe 2006?) HTH.

Ciao,

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Symtec with Heat-Troller on My ST, and a round high/low toggle for use on my DR650 and my ATV.

I also use a portable Heat-Troller for my Gerbing's jacket liner, on my DR650 and ATV.

Greetings,

Does anyone have advise on a source for a quality heated grip for my '07 ST-1300?

Thanks!

WheelerP
There are lots of options out there. From $20-$250.

Cheapest are the under the grip heating elements. To get the most heat out of these you should have ultra thin grips and insulate the left hand bar (I use bicycle street tire inner tube).

The model from Aerostich is cheap and simple, has a Y cable in between the power and grips with a resistor on one wire for the low output.

The dual-star \ symtec model has 3 wires in each grip, no resistor. About the same price, maybe a couple dollars more. Also, there is no need to insulate one bar because each side has a different heat setting. Howver most people find that the left grip is noticeably hotter.

Then there are always the full heated grips. Either hotgrips brand or oxford (who now owns hot grips). The nice thing about these types of grips is that they do not have to contend with first heating up the handlebars only to then have to get through your grips in order to get to your hands. However, these issues are mostly for cruiser with 1.25" thick handlebars and 2.5" thick chrome grips. Either way, heat is damn near instant. I have a pair on my naked Hawk GT and it gets hotter than heck. You could probably cook an egg on them.

Ordering through hotgrips, you can order the neat little PWM variable controller for an extra $35 or $45. Oh, this will work for any type of heated grip and is a very simple in line install. You do need a fair amoutn of space under your fairing for this switch though as the base (the hidden part that will be behind your fairing) is over 1.5" around. Still, its much more stout and simple to install than the heat troller.

If you want to spend a few bucks more, simply for the cool switch, check out these heat demons heated grips by Symtec. It comes with a handlebar mounted push button switch, the more times you push the button, another LED lights up, indicating the heat output. 1 LED would be low, 4 LEDs be high. I am not sure how the switch or heaters work on this, hopefully its not just a rheostat.

If it weren't for the price, I'd go for the heat demons if only just for the slick looking switch. At least on my cruiser, for the faired bikes I have plenty of room in the plastic to drill and mount stuff.

By the way, the OEM honda grips are made by hotgrips, unless your talking about the chrome accented one for cruisers, those are made, I believe, by showchrome. They have a nifty switch built into the left side grip.

Speaking of built in switches, if you look at the Harley accessory grips. There is a rotary knob on the end of the left hand grip with numbers on it. You can fine tune it to your hearts content, pretty sure its variable between 1-9. However these would not work with bikes that use bar end weights.

Bike
Red
STOC #
If you have grip puppes symtec ATV grips can go on the outside of your grips, inside of puppies. The ATV grips have equal heat on the left/right due to similar contact on the grips instead of bars - as a cheap option.

If you have grip puppes symtec ATV grips can go on the outside of your grips, inside of puppies. The ATV grips have equal heat on the left/right due to similar contact on the grips instead of bars - as a cheap option.
I've seen this setup melt the grip and char the grip puppies badly enough that they become one with the original grips. If you use this setup, wire the grips in series to keep the heat low.

Top Bottom