Heated Jacket Question

Bike
96' ST1100
STOC #
Now that I've moved to the Frosty New England area...Heated Gear may be in order. Does
a Stock 96' ST (no extra lights, etc.) have enough Power to run a Heated Jacket ??
Maybe add Pants also.... ??
Thanks to all..
Wayne Cornell
Wallingford , CT

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Does a Stock 96' ST (no extra lights, etc.) have enough Power to run a Heated Jacket ??
Maybe add Pants also.... ??
Absolutely, yes. The '96 is the first year of the upgraded 40-amp (up from 28 amps) alternator.

That gives you an extra 12-amps (144 watts @ 12 volts) of headroom over the previous models.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I run the jacket with, heated glove liners, heated chaps and heated insoles, no issues. Another combination is heated grips with a heated jacket. Having said that, I have an ABSII model and if I’m idling for a long time with ALL my heated gear at full I get an error code with ABS indicating a power issue. It’s a rare occurrence.
Heated gear will transform your riding experience in cold weather to an enjoyable experience.

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have had 2 heated jackets, dual heated seat and heated grips on my two ST1300s No problem. Original battery on my A9 after 7 years and 50k+ miles is fine.

Having the Honda heated grips helps - they cut themselves off when the charge isn't keeping up with the demand. No good for the other heated gear - but the grips flash a warning, which is a good invite to turn other things off until the revs pick up again.

My heated sleeveless jacket draws around 4 amps. It just maintains a warm temperature without getting over hot. I wear it next to a thin shirt, underneath a fleece. I did have a sleeved jacket, but could never feel the heat on my arms - arms are in the draught off the screen and the jacket sleevs do not fit as closely as the body. The heat just blows away! Keeping the body warm was enough for me. If that is warm, My arms do not feel cold.

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
You might want to wait on the heated pants and socks. Not because the bike can't handle it...it can. But because you may find them not needed.

With the full fairing on your ST, you'll find your legs just don't get that cold. Put an extra pair of socks on, and your feet may stay warm enough.

Chris

Top Bottom