Heated Jacket

Bike
1991 Honda ST 1100
I have the plug that attaches to my battery for the trickle charger and was wondering if this female reciver that is always connected to the battery would accept the male part of heated jacket? Any idea?

CELarson

Looking forward to my next ride....
Site Supporter
For the trickle charger there probably isn't a fuse. You will want a fuse between the battery and your jacket.

Cheers,

Craig

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
If both plugs are SAE type, that will work. You can get an SAE plug with a fuse in line, if you need to switch from what you have on the bike already.

shopping.png

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Consider putting a separate SAE fused plug and a switch to run your heated jacket. There are times when they get too warm and you need to turn it off for a bit. Especially if coming off the highway into town with a lot of stop and go traffic. It's also a bonus to be able to run the wire forward and have it come out from under the seat near the shelter...much more convenient hooking it up......

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have the plug that attaches to my battery for the trickle charger and was wondering if this female reciver that is always connected to the battery would accept the male part of heated jacket? Any idea?
Yes it should. Your trickle charger lead probably has a fuse. All of my Battery Tender® leads are fused on the bike side at 7.5A. A 90W jacket will draw around the same.

Consider putting a separate SAE fused plug and a switch to run your heated jacket. There are times when they get too warm and you need to turn it off for a bit.
I'd second a separate lead and appropriate fuse and a switch. My Eclipse vest has a SAE connector along with an inline On/Off switch with no other temperature control. But it's 50yr old.

There is a Coax to SAE plug adapter
I got one of these to connect my heated gears' coax connector to a separate fused SAE lead as a coax connector is much easier to deal with. Coax connectors will generally separate easily if you should walk away without first disconnecting. DAMHIKT.

If your jacket uses an SAE connector I'd recommend getting a set Coax/SAE connectors to convert.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
My Eclipse vest has a SAE connector along with an inline On/Off switch with no other temperature control. But it's 50yr old.
Well, that comment confirms my thought that the Eclipse heated vests were one of the best ever made, as I still have mine after 40 years! Had to replace the included wire and switch once. The heated collar is wonderful! Shame that company went out of business, but maybe that was because no one ever needed to buy another one!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Trickle charger? Do you mean a Battery Tender or equivalent or is it really a trickle charger? If the latter, I would swap it out for a Battery Tender or Accumate or other similar brand of smart charger that will not damage your battery if left connected too long.

I'm surprised you are using heated clothing without a controller, I change the heat output depending on my bike's speed - freeway riding has a higher heat loss than around town.

Top Bottom