Helmet Lock/Storage Help Needed

STOC #
Here's what I do - same idea as Dave
I'm going to see about relocating my locks from the fender to up here under the GIVI box tonight. Brilliant idea.

I hate hanging helmets on the guardian now as they always wind up hitting the end of the exhaust pipes.

OP
OP
Ilbikes

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
I just went and ordered the Gardian for $45 plus shipping. I'll get that mounted under the Honda topbox like Dave/Jeff/Roger - I don't think those locks are available by themselves, certainly not a matching pair of the same key. Not bad security for an expensive helmet.

This board rocks!!

Thanks,
Gordon

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Guys, are you using a typical "helmet guardian" underneath? Like this?

Skip
Yes Skip & Gord, thats what mine is ... available from a number of different re-sellers.

IIRC I went to Home Depot and got some longer "Chicago fasteners" to secure it properly under the topbox base.

It was a very simple install even with the work-around I felt I needed. Its been a while so I don't remember the exact details, but if needed I could do a "reverse engineer" to get some more specifics.

FWIW each hook will hold 2 helmets, which has been helpful a few times. Its a squeeze but you can get 4 lids on there when taking a break on a ride with some farkle-deficient buddies. :rolleyes:

STOC #
I just remembered that the previous owner/installer of the guardian on my ST used high security Hex-head bolts with the raised thing in the center. I of course don't have a bit that will fit it... grrrr

I don't use the above exactly however I do use a common bicycle, combination, cable lock (the one with 4 # combo). I open the face shield, wrap it thru the helmet and around the back support. Helmet sits on seat. Cheap and effective

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
...Where can I buy those locks? I already have the MCL antenne mounts and now have the extension for both sides. I could mount two of these and I thought that would be the perfect place. I just could not find a source for the locks.Gordon
I had the lock left over from the Helmet Guardian that I used on my 1100. I've seen generic helmet locks hanging on the wall at the accessory shops that should work, as well.

Maybe we could get MCL to offer the lock as an option, with the holes already drilled. Larry, you out there?

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My solution costs ten bucks, requires no modifications to the bike, and is, IMHO, more secure than any of the D link locks:

1. Turn handlebars to the left and lock forks (always!!!).
  2. Hang full face helmet across throttle and brake lever.
  3. Unlock Master Lock Gun Lock Cable and extract cable end.
  4. Thread cable around chin of helmet and through throttle cables. Cable length = perfect.
  5. Insert cable end into lock.
  6. Leave bike, assured that helmet isn't going anywhere :grin:

The lock can be had for under $10 on eBay.

The only issue I see is that it only really works for full face helmets, not a problem for me since I've been wearing full face helmets exclusively for more than 30 years (how many of you remember the Bell Star 90?).

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Finally, a good use for those government-mandated locks that we're getting with every new gun. If you know someone who shoots, they may have one that can be yours for the asking.

OP
OP
Ilbikes

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
Guys, thanks for all of the inputs and advice. I went the Gardian route and decided to keep the locks mounted to the supplied bracket since the latches will hang open to allow easy hook-up of the D-rings. What I did was to carefully mark the locations for two 6mm holes I would drill/tap the upper MCL CB antennae mount horizontally to 6mm x 1.0 so I could stay metric. This also gave me the opportunity to use the flats on the stainless bolts that would fit tightly against the locks once those were re-installed as a nmeasure of security. These won't allow a wrench on them nor turn with the locks in-place. I then took a piece of stainless 5/16" rod and made a wide "U" bolt for even more security and holding by bending and threading the ends with the same 6mm x 1.0 threads as is commonly used throughout the bike. This U-bolt simply goes behind MCL's short aluminum spacers used when mounting his antennae mount.

Again, thanks for all the help and ideas. I now can lock-up two helmets quickly underneath the topbox where there will be some protection from elements.

Regards,
Gordon

Bike
2009 ST1300A
STOC #
HI I ALSO HAVE HAD THE PROBLEM WITH LOCKING 2 FULL FACE HELMETS TO THE BIKE.I SOLVED THE PROBLEM THE CHEAP WAY FOR US CANADIANS WHERE EVERYTHING U.S. IS ALMOST TWICE THE PRICE HERE I REMOVED THE TOP BOX AND BRACKET AND DRILLED A HOLE IN THE ST REAR BRACKET ON EACH SIDE AND SLID A LONG SHACKLES PADLOCK THROUGH THE HOLE.ONE NOW HANGS DOWN ON EITHER SIDE BELOW THE BOX WHERE THEY ARE NOT TOO OBTRUSIVE ( I PAINTED THEM TO MATCH THE BIKE COLOUR ) BUT EASILY ACCESSIBLE. THEY ARE KEYED ALIKE SO I ONLY HAVE 1 KEY . SHADED BY THE BOX SOMEWHAT KEEPS THEM COOLER IN THE SUMMER. MY SOLUTION ?

Top Bottom