Helmets Helmet Preferences

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone have a flip face helmet?
How do you like it? Are there better manufacturers?
I do not want a full face helmet because it is too confining to me.
Opinions please?
Brian
:cool:

OP
OP
campernh
Thanks

Fred and Greg,
Thanks for the advice.
Great links to the helmet reviews Fred!
Merry Christmas,
Brian
:eat1:

Brian, I own two Nolan helmets. I bought an open face (N41 Classic I think) when I purchasede my ST because I don't like the confinement of a full face helmet. It was really a pain to put on sunglasses. Then after a couple of coworkers got me going with open face helmet horror stories, I settled on a Nolan N100E. Best helmet I've ever had. Even if my open face helmet was equally safe, it would still sit on a shelf unused. The flip face is quieter.- john :)

STOC #
I have had two Schuberth Concept Helmets. I love em. Some don't because of being one of the heaviest flip helmets on the market. It does not bother me at all, this helmet is one of the most quality built helmets I have looked at. Unlike the previous comment about the built in visor, once you have it, you never go back. It rocks! The helmet is rather expensive, but if you can find a dealer (especially a BMW dealer) with the first generation Concept helmet being phased out, you can pick one up for half the cost (200.00 vs. about 400.00 dollars). A slightly upgraded Concept2 in out now with different venting and chin bar - has same visor and de-fogging feature (one of it's most underrated features - the clear shield pops FORWARD about 1/8" to defog - just enough air to clear any moisture from INSIDE the shield, no more slightly lifting the shield when riding with like other helmets. EVERY helmet should have such a feature). Like most flip helmets, it is noisier that a solid full face, and some have complained that it very noisy compared to the Nolan, but since I always wear earplugs, this is really a non-issue for me.

For more info:

http://www.schuberth-usa.com/

Newer C2 version:

http://www.schuberth.com/c2/index3.htm

Hope it helps you out.

Chris

Bike
Honda GL1800
STOC #
I have two helmets both are Shoei's. One is the RF800 full face and the other is the open face RJ-air. I know I shouldn't wear the open face but I prefer it over anything else so far. Very quiet with the Laminar LIP and wind screen setup. The two work very good together. Its also nice to be able to comunicate with others snack and drink coffee and such while on the move. Its also the only helmet I have ever owned where the vents actually work when open.

Have friends who wear everything from the Shubert to the Nolan and now they are wearing the the new Jarow. The Jarow looks to be the hot setup the flipdown visor is a little larger then the Schubert and is suppose to be a much quieter helmet of the two. Just try and find a Jarow helmet at this time. At the Long Beach show the Jarow guy said they are very hard to find at this time in certain sizes, most of them.

My pick of the 3 would be the Nolan N100E simply because of the price and words from my friends who wear them and swear by them. It will be my next helmet. Would like to try one on first but as said hear in this thread dealers who carry them are hard to find.

But until them I will stick with my RJ-air. If someone only made a nice flip up shield again. On a good note, talking with the Shoei rep at the Long Beach show he mentioned early next year Shoei has plans to release a nice flip up shield for the RJ-air. One that everyone will like and want.....We'll see.

STOC #
Except the N101 won't be imported to the US.....

The blue Sun shield however is available as a kit (you'd need a new faceshield and pivot covers) from CIMA (866-2HELMET or helmets@aol.com), Nolan importer....

This kit works with the N100/N100E helmets.

Cheers,

STOC #
That looks like a good doughnut.......I hope he brough enough for all of us!
I'll even take my helmet off to eat it!

Brian

Top Bottom