Help! 14520-MCS-003

The OP didn't give any description or detail as to what sound he thought might be "abnormal". If it's the well-know whine of the ST engine then the shop didn't explain it was a normal sound. It's not much of a stretch to consider the shop may never have seen (let alone heard) an ST prior. More info is needed — if macmanus ever replies.
Agreed !! But if you listen to the video very closely, especially at the point they bring the camera down low, I think what the OP hears is the typical tapping of the clutch basket.

Many folks unfamiliar (including Honda dealers!) are not familiar with the sounds.

OP
OP
manus6600

manus6600

Mohammed Mansoor
Bike
ST1300
I listened to your video and did not hear anything unusual. But, I sold my ST a few years ago and am no longer familiar with it's sound. I cannot remember reading about a failed timing chain or tensioner here so your case is very unusual.

Far more common are dealer service problems. These bikes are very reliable and comparatively few were made. The consequence of that is few dealers ever see one in their shop and fewer mechanics work on them. Complaints about dealers are common, and I have to wonder about your dealer's diagnosis.

You did not post your bike's year or mileage (kilometerage(?)). That would help diagnosing your problem. I'm sure more knowledgeable guys will respond later today.

Thank you for reply.

My Motorcycle is 2009. 77k kilometers so far

OP
OP
manus6600

manus6600

Mohammed Mansoor
Bike
ST1300
Sorry for the Late reply!!!!! And thanks for the valuable suggestions and discussions!
I am using My ST since 2018. It was ridden just 18.5k while i bought and now it is 77k. I never had a Major service issues that i am doing periodic services and maintenance well. I think its time for a Major service. I have given it to the Dealership already and they have suggested to change what i asked in my question. But i am totally dissatisfied with their service because they order the parts and its already passed 1 month. Today the parts arrived and they called me. When they opened, there are few more problems found and they will send the estimate soon.

They said The parts should be replaced
1 Clutch
2 Throttle Body (they will clean first and replace if needed only)
3 All hoses (Kuwait is hot and above 50 degree temperature on summer)

I don't have a problem to change these parts and not worried about money. But i am worried why My service advisor wasn't aware about the clutch has to be changed and order that also at the time i go there.

Anyway i am planning to renew all those Parts to get a Refreshment for my St-1300. Because i love it and i want to keep it with me for long time.

Once again Thanks for all.

I will share pics if i go to service center.

Bike
VStrom 650
I'd say it was the clutch then, hopefully it will be all good when they've finished. Clutch noise can return quite quickly though. Some do and some don't. My 11 used to make a racket at idle with the clutch out.
Please send some of your warmth our way, it's blummin freezin here.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
manus6600

manus6600

Mohammed Mansoor
Bike
ST1300
The OP didn't give any description or detail as to what sound he thought might be "abnormal". If it's the well-know whine of the ST engine then the shop didn't explain it was a normal sound. It's not much of a stretch to consider the shop may never have seen (let alone heard) an ST prior. More info is needed — if macmanus ever replies.
When i send the same Video to Honda dealership in kuwait they said the sound is not Normal and the cam tensioner is gone.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
When i send the same Video to Honda dealership in kuwait they said the sound is not Normal and the cam tensioner is gone.
Sounds like a Dealers reaction! One member on this site rode his ST 1300 to dealer for slipping clutch. Dealer started bike and drove into shop. Dealer diagnosed that all 4 cylinders had no compression bike would not start needed engine replaced or rebuilt. second mechanic found all gasoline had been drained from bike and compression was fine. bike did need a clutch!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Don't let them clean the throttle body bores- this is what damages them.

At 77,000 KM when you brought the motorcycle to them;
I doubt very much that there was anything wrong with your tensioners.
I doubt very much that there was anything wrong with your clutch.
I doubt very much that there was anything wrong with your throttle bodies.

I have no doubt that the advice that they are giving you is highly questionable.
I would be extremely suspicious of all of what they have told you.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Take the bike home, get a service manual, and adjust the counter balance adjusters (20 minute job) and check to see if the spark plugs are loose (faint knocking sound).
I would also flush the clutch fluid (20 minute job-one bleeder).
This dealer is ripping you off! :mad:

Post #1 :
I was hearing an abnormal noice from Engine and went to the Honda dealer Kuwait
... Post #28:
So to be clear (I might be confused), you BROUGHT the ST to a Honda dealer (post 1)

Then later, you sent the video to ANOTHER Honda dealer in Kuwait.

So, you have two Honda dealers in Kuwait?? My guess is they've probably seen maybe 1-2-3 STs in their shop, prob to change tires or do an oil change.

It's a 2009 with 77k kilometers - that's 47,800 (US) miles. I SERIOUSLY doubt it's related to the tensioners.

Use Igofar's Post #33 for next steps.

OP
OP
manus6600

manus6600

Mohammed Mansoor
Bike
ST1300
Post #1 :

... Post #28:

So to be clear (I might be confused), you BROUGHT the ST to a Honda dealer (post 1)

Then later, you sent the video to ANOTHER Honda dealer in Kuwait.

So, you have two Honda dealers in Kuwait?? My guess is they've probably seen maybe 1-2-3 STs in their shop, prob to change tires or do an oil change.

It's a 2009 with 77k kilometers - that's 47,800 (US) miles. I SERIOUSLY doubt it's related to the tensioners.

Use Igofar's Post #33 for next steps.

Its only one dealer, I send the video first and they said to bring the motorcycle to the dealership to confirm.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Mohammed, as you know the ST-1300 does not sound NORMAL compared to any other motorcycle.

Top Bottom