Help... fuel spilling out of 2 carbs after 40amp Alt upgrade

Any help would be VERY appreciated. I recently did a 40 amp Alt upgrade... and I must have broke something...while I was doing the upgrade. I just purchased this 93 St1100 last month as a winter project. I successfully did the upgrade..and it works great (the short time I had the engine running)! If you look at the pic attached, the green outlined areas are the ones with fuel spilling out of them... running down the engine and all over the ground. NOW.. I have to confess... I did put my mouth on the fuel filter (while everying was taken apart (gas tank out...swing arm out...etc etc) and blew air to get the fuel out of the filter (might have not been the wisest idea). now the 2 carbs on the side are spilling fuel out...even the curved tube toward the front has overflow gas coming out of it. Rather than me ripping the carbs apart (I might have to anyways)...any suggestions...or help would be great!:bow1::bow1::bow1::policeST:

Attachments

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
If you determine that it is the o-rings there, you could take the old ones to a parts house and maybe if they have a knowledgeable guy, they can match them closely to save you some time.
Did you thank that Grandma for falling over?;)

OP
OP
Hey BM!

Let me ask you this.. how would the O rings just give way? The fuel is also coming out of the carbs themselves. So much in fact that I have fuel coming out of the exhaust pee holes (black.. due to soaking the residue inside the exhaust)

What am I missing?????

OH yea.. grandma didnt get run over by a reindeer.. she tipped over the 1100...ande BANG.. I got a great deal (you would probably cry if I told you how cheap). :) worship my good fortune :bow1::bow1::bow1: except for the part where I screwed up the 2 carbs. :confused::confused:

Could I have messed up the floats on that side somehow?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Is there any chance you mistakenly connected up the carb overflow hoses to the fuel system when you had this apart? This would allow fuel to fill the float bowls and flow out of the back of the carbs. Just a thought. It sound like something is not connected up correctly.

OP
OP
I should add, the fuel is coming from WITHIN the carbs and runs over the main air inlets (where the air stacks bolt up to) and finally out the overflow tube on that one side. If the bike stays running long enough (a few mins), the engine starts to pop and sputter (assuming way too much fuel getting in the cyl).

OP
OP
Hey BD!

Nope.. I didnt disconnect anything on the carb area except for the fuel feeder hose from the fuel tank (has the filter on it). Once the fuel came spilling out... I took the rest off to inspect. At first I thought it was antifreeze, however the smell of gas hit me.. and cleared that up right away. When I blew air from my mouth into the fuel filter... could I have messed up the floats on that one side.. so the needle valves dont close up?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I doubt you could have damaged the floats by blowing in the hose unless you used compressed air. It does sound like you have the float needle seats that have been contaminated and are not sealing. Why this happened suddenly is a bit of a mystery.

OP
OP
here is another pic.. with the flow and path of the fuel that is coming out.

it actually coming from within the carbs.. within the normal paths of fuel (if that makes sense).

I actually got the bike running (had not run for many months when I got it)... there was no fuel issue at all.. just the alternator. I ran the bike for well over 30 minutes (idling and ran around the neighborhood..2 miles).. no fuel issues at all.. bike ran great.. but the battery died. I know I messed something up.. just really odd timing.. and what did I do?

Maybe a better question is.. should I take the carbs off? I know that means more down time.. and more money. I cant take it apart without replacing the cooling hoses below and a host of other maintenance things in the carb area. I'm whining.. I know...

Attachments

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I would say - go ahead and take them off and clean them. At the same time go through the hoses and elbow o-rings while things are apart. You are going to have to do this anyway sooner or later, so it may as well be done now. then you can ride with the knowledge you have taken care of these things. You do not have to use Honda hoses to replace the hoses under the carbs. You can use good quality automotive hoses and save some $$$.

Dan

OP
OP
yea... I knew you would say that. The bike has 101k on it... I suppose its well worth the added insurance. S

Should I rebuild the carbs while Im at it?

What do I look for within the carbs that might be causing the fuel overflow issues?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I would think a good carb cleaning would suffice - remove each float needle and seat - there is a small screen filter under each seat that should be checked. Take a look at the slide diaphragms to make sure they don't have any pin holes etc. Also look at the small pre-filter in front of the main air filter - these are known to degrade. Check and replace any fuel or vacuum hoses that look suspect. I would sync. the carbs and adjust the idle mixture after this. If you don't have the tools for this you may have to take it in somewhere or maybe there is a member that could assist you with this.

Dan

OP
OP
on that note... if someone on here had info about how to sync the carbs and adjust the mixture.. that would be great.

Do they offer a rebuild kit for these carbs?

:rofl1: Have you met Mark before? Maybe you know something about him others don't. :D

As for your fuel spilling, I'm not much of a mechanic. :think1: Have you thought about putting the 28 amper back in and seeing if that helps?

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :hat1: :wave1:

OP
OP
:p: Oh brother... :)

Nope.. I dont know Mark...

As for putting in the old Alt...LOL :bsflag::bsflag::bsflag: NO WAY!

Top Bottom