help i need a link on how to change my rear pads

Hi guys I need a info on how to change my rear pads. I would also like your recomendations on what brand of pads to use. I would like to get pads that are going to grip better than honda pads. Thanks Tim

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
For just changing out the pads - it's pretty easy... however, it's always best to wait 'til a tire change so, with the wheel off, you can do a good job of cleaning the pistons.

However, you can change the pads and even clean the pistons a little once they are removed using q-tips to get to as much of the piston as possible.

To remove the pads, pull the rubber cover off the hex bolt that holds the pads in.

Remove the bolt.

The pads can be pulled out at this point.

Clean as much of the pistons as you can and use ONLY brake fluid to to it. Then clean off any
residue.

When you put the new pads in - you may need to press the pistons into the caliper some to help
get clearance for the new pads - make sure the forward part of the pads are seated into the
indented metal clips or they will cause you problems.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I would strongly urge you to stay with OEM brake pads. Some fitment issues are common with aftermarket pads, so unless you are knowledgeable on how to hand fit the pads, stick with OEM. Get a service manual for instructions. Make sure you clean the calipers and pistons completely when you change the pads out. These bikes have a very sensitive brake system, and unless everything is clean (calipers) and lubed (needle bearings in smc bracket) they can cause the rear brakes to drag.
Oh yeah, be sure to completely flush and bleed the system when you change pads too.

Bike
2016 VFR1200X
I would strongly urge you to stay with OEM brake pads. Some fitment issues are common with aftermarket pads, so unless you are knowledgeable on how to hand fit the pads, stick with OEM. Get a service manual for instructions. Make sure you clean the calipers and pistons completely when you change the pads out. These bikes have a very sensitive brake system, and unless everything is clean (calipers) and lubed (needle bearings in smc bracket) they can cause the rear brakes to drag.
Oh yeah, be sure to completely flush and bleed the system when you change pads too.
Thanks for the info. I just had my rear brake pads changed when my tire was done.
Now the rear brakes are dragging. I guess I need to take them apart and give them a good cleaning.

Top Bottom