HELP LOCATING: 3P Honda Brake/Tail Connector mate

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That "*yet to be released ST2 strober" looks a lot like the current units some of us have.
There's a non-programmable version from superbrightleds.

It's not a deceleration warning light using an accelerometer as is the ST SMB device.

From the Strober "site":

The ST2 Strober flashes your brake light when you engage the brakes yourself. The brake light will flash 4 times, then stay on steady.

So no deceleration activation. I didn't notice that bit when looking after getting an advanced notice merely from doing a configuration check. Along with that label pasted on the Strober it looks to be the same module as the Amazon version. No doubt made in China and sold under a bunch of names. I wonder what it would cost you to return it.

I ran my centre high mount brake light and my top case brake light through the flasher module. I left my OEM brake lights untouched so that they do not run through the flasher module.
The plan was/is to do something similar. I have an LED brake light built into the plastic pad on the ST1300's rack. This was built and sold by a former member. I have a Strobes n More EMS LED strobe connected to my brake lights.

The tail/brake lights have been replace with "standard" LEDs. They don't need to flash. A deceleration light for the CHMSL in the rack would be nice. The Strober gets a hard pass being nearly identical to the LSC I've yet to install at nearly 7x what I paid for my flasher.

All this makes me wonder what's up with the STS site and management. An Amazon review stated the original company went belly up and this is now a different company with a different name. The Strober doesn't yet appear on the main site and complaints about customer service and ignoring the lifetime warranty are unsettling. This rebranding of someone else's product sold at a huge markup smacks of desperation at best and an outright scam at worst. It's all disappointing.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
@ST Gui that's the unit I have. No decelerometer, just flashes on activation. Lots of them on Amazon / Ebay. Just google GS-100A. Can even get them from Ali express for a couple of dollars.

I'd rather not have the decelerometer feature as to not annoy anyone behind me with brake flashes when I wasn't really braking. I call that the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome.

OP
OP
STRider

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
All this makes me wonder what's up with the STS site and management. An Amazon review stated the original company went belly up and this is now a different company with a different name. The Strober doesn't yet appear on the main site and complaints about customer service and ignoring the lifetime warranty are unsettling. This rebranding of someone else's product sold at a huge markup smacks of desperation at best and an outright scam at worst. It's all disappointing.
I received this in an email from ST2 Systems on Sat. Feb 4th.

"We are now 8 hours away from the official launch of the ST2 Strober.
Thank you for the countless messages you've sent us. Thank you to all 400 beta-testers who helped us make sure the device is perfect on launch day.​
Thank YOU for taking care of your safety and the safety of others on the road.​
In the next 8 hours can still get your own brand new ST2 Strober, 50% off and with lifetime warranty here: <they asked not to share the site>​
We are looking forward to all your feedback and comments - they mean a lot. If you have a friend who might be interested in a extra bit of safety for their two-wheeled beauty, make sure to send them the link.​
With kindest regards from the ST2 R&D Department​
David Rand, Philippe Duvon, Frank Hoffman, Gregory Feldham, Tammy Tremont, Peter Feernberg, Dick Matthews & the entire ST2 Team"

As of moments ago there was no sign of the Strober on the main site. Guess that launch was delayed or they're up to something I don't understand.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I'd rather not have the decelerometer feature as to not annoy anyone behind me with brake flashes when I wasn't really braking. I call that the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome.
I agree, I don't think that they are a good idea at all. Imagine if they were more common and there were often brake lights flashing in front of everyone. I fear that in time people would learn to ignore them. That might result in making brake lights less effective in general as we wouldn't react to them as quickly.

Reactions: Obo

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Just google GS-100A.
No need. I mentioned Amazon and posted where I got my LSC.

I call that the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome.
Seriously? I remember reading here of the members who "always" flashed their brake lights when slowing via compression braking but not actually "braking". Others seemed to rely on the distance closing between their bike and a following car to alert that driver of a speed change. That's a syndrome? "The boy cried wolf syndrome" seems illogical and makes no sense especially if somebody knows the story of The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Imagine if... I fear that in time people would learn to ignore them. That might result in making brake lights less effective in general as we wouldn't react to them as quickly.
This also makes no sense. I'm not about to imagine a scenario that doesn't exist and possibly/probably may never exist. Doing something that makes my bike and its movements more noticeable right now is my concern.

There are probably no small members of ST-O or the motorcycling community at large that don't add any additional lighting to their bikes and rely solely on the factory setup to be seen and signal their movements. One member went so far as to say people hit fire trucks with all their lighting. His point sounded like a "why bother". There's no guarantee that any additional lighting will help keep us from being hit and most riders know that.

As far as annoying other drivers that's a judgement call. I doubt anybody here knows how annoying something like the SBM might be to another driver though they might imagine they do. The SBM can be tuned (somewhat crudely) to be more or less responsive as a rider sees fit.

So my only concern at this point is whether or not STS/S2 is a trustworthy vendor.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
@ST Gui I was just saying what my thoughts were on the auto flasher and why I wouldn't want that feature.

There's not really any right or wrong (unless the lights contravene some local ordinance) so certainly do what you feel gives you the best chance at being seen and avoiding being hit from behind.

I'm all for extra lighting and agree having something flash might just grab someones attention and prevent an accident as that's what I've done. I'm just on the manual activation side of it vs automatic.

In the end they both achieve the same goal, helping be more visible.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
This also makes no sense. I'm not about to imagine a scenario that doesn't exist and possibly/probably may never exist.
It exists already albeit with different circumstances that cause constantly flashing brake lights, and the result is noticeable.

Watch what happens when traffic is following a left foot braker who keeps their left foot in contact with the brake pedal and who unknowingly continuously keeps activating their brake lights the entire time that they are driving. Their brake lights are constantly flashing on and off. The people behind eventually learn to ignore these false alarms. When that person does unexpectedly and suddenly hit the brakes for real, you will often see the people following behind don't react right away. They are caught off guard because they were anticipating yet another false alarm. They brake later than they normally would as a result, which means that they must brake much more aggressively to avoid rear-ending the left foot braker. This causes a chain reaction of panic braking on down the line behind that person. Rightly or wrongly people came to expect the brake lights to be yet another false alarm and delayed applying their brakes until it became obvious that it was not another errant foot tap of the brake pedal.

I have seen this scenario play out many times over the years, all caused by repeated unjustified brake light activation. Without knowing how these systems actually work and how much unnecessary brake light flashing there might be, my concern is that the constant brake light activation due to deceleration might have a similar effect.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
... and I'm sometimes hard on and off the throttle :)

1675814979696.png

*not me. Please ride responsibly and within your capabilities unless on a closed course or your stupid.

OP
OP
STRider

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
... and I'm sometimes hard on and off the throttle :)

1675814979696.png

*not me. Please ride responsibly and within your capabilities unless on a closed course or your stupid.
Looks like my first week of owning the ST1300 and riding it like it was my ST1100!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It exists already albeit with different circumstances that cause constantly flashing brake lights, and the result is noticeable.
I've never noticed that scenario in my many years of riding or driving with the exception of coming to a stop with my strobe. That's often but not always manifested by stopping farther back than is common. Again my experience.

While the scenario you describe no doubt occurs somewhere at some time I disagree it's nearly as common as your post implies. I'd posting that instead of learning to ignore and being caught off guard a ore likely scenario is that car just following a little less closely. So I suspect we will continue to disagree on that.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
There's not really any right or wrong (unless the lights contravene some local ordinance)
I agree completely. But I also believe any actual negative effect of an auto-deceleration light is greatly overstated if not exaggerated if it actually exists at all. As mentioned earlier there are posts here by members who've stated they always tap the brake lights when doing compression braking but not applying the brakes proper. Is this not a valid practice? It seems to me to be a valid choice and choice is good.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I disagree it's nearly as common as your post implies.
It wasn't my intent to imply that it was a common occurrence if that is how it came across. I have seen it often, which is true, but that is over the course of hundreds of thousands of miles on the roads, so as part of the whole it is a small portion. My intent was to convey that it is something that is not unusual to see if you are on the roads a lot and pay attention to other vehicles besides the one immediately in front of you.

So I suspect we will continue to disagree on that.
Most probably a correct suspicion.

Top Bottom