Help needed, first time removing rear tire, I'm worried with what I found.

Most of the time the new bearings come with a small amount of grease in them too, I have found them to burn out too fast. I pulled the inner seal out gently put and installed the seal back in putting the seal that I removed on the inside. Found All Balls bearing to be the least lubed. Only had a bit of oil in it. Replaced bearings once in 120,000 miles.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
A couple things folks should be aware of with bearings, NEVER mix types of grease.
Some greases don’t play well with others, and will evacuate the bearing quickly.
Secondly, removing the seal, and adding grease, will often cause the grease to foam up, not good either.
You don’t want to over pack the bearings.
They need some air space in there to work properly.

Never had a problem and have been doing it for the last 40 some years. Over packing is a problem. If you notice I said a dab of grease. I. I myself have a 95 Ranger pick-up and in 185,000 miles haven't replaced a u-joint or front wheel bearings until I replaced rotor last summer. One of the 1st things I did was pull the driveline and add grease to the caps. So I have missed the issues that you are talking about, the manual does have the recommended grease, never heard of grease foaming inside. The problem I had with All Balls was they only had oil in them, to make the rolling resistance low I am guessing . no grease at all.
Did have the tube between the bearing do the shortening deal. caused a weird rumble in the rear end, could feel it in the foot pegs.

Top Bottom