Help Needed in Mexico!!

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Steve is having issues with his V-Strom. Bad gas mileage and back-firing on over-run. Only got 37 MPG yesterday. On Wednesday we found (with help of Lightening Larry Johnson, US ex-pat) the #1 cylinder throttle-body out of it's boot. Assumed that was the major problem. Backfiring stopped until we here (Coazacocolcasa?) yesterday evening,

There is Suz. dealer here we're gonna visit but looking for knowledgeable help (Bob Smith!!??) here as well.

TNX,

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
George,
I first suspect bad gas (octane) led to misfiring, which in turn could pop a throttle body off it's boot.

Some questions pop into my mind:
You've probably already pulled the plugs to see their condition?
Are the linkages at the forward throttle body properly joining the two throttle bodies?
Does turning the hand grip through its full motion result in both throttle body butterflies to open approximately the same?
Does the fuel pump cycle when the kill switch is flipped to 'run' position?
Long shot... is there perhaps a loose connection on one of the engine kill switches? (clutch lever, kickstand)

Maybe Chuck can offer other thoughts....

Bike
SSM '91 ST1100
STOC #
So According to SPOT, you are in Caotzacoalcos City?

My sister has a vacation house there, but i believe it is up towards Mexico city.

I'll do some checking around.

:banr1:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
George,
I first suspect bad gas (octane) led to misfiring, which in turn could pop a throttle body off it's boot.

Some questions pop into my mind:
You've probably already pulled the plugs to see their condition?
Are the linkages at the forward throttle body properly joining the two throttle bodies?
Does turning the hand grip through its full motion result in both throttle body butterflies to open approximately the same?
Does the fuel pump cycle when the kill switch is flipped to 'run' position?
Long shot... is there perhaps a loose connection on one of the engine kill switches? (clutch lever, kickstand)

Maybe Chuck can offer other thoughts....
Wish I could but, I have not had mine long enough or torn down that far to see how it works. However I do agree with what you mentioned already. My first thoughts were also bad fuel as I had the same issues on my old BMW down in Copper Canyon a few years back. Even though the Beemer was carburetor. Please let us know what you find. Wish I could be of more help.

RCS

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I pulled a few posts from an internet search. Folks in the posts seem to point to either a gas octane issue or an air leak. ...
Good point ... its worth checking all boot clamps for air leaks between throttle body and cylinder.
:)

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Just got finished with a post in your other thread. Basically, the backfiring causes the boots to come loose, and that is probably causing the poor fuel economy.

First things to check are fuel quality and delivery, and air delivery. Backfiring often caused by bad gas or poorly seated or dirty air cleaner, it's easy to mis-align the air cleaner on installation causing leakage around the gaskets.

Also check for broken or disconnected vacuum lines.

Could also be a bad sensor or a ECU needs re-programming but those are less likely. Throttle body synch has resolved some backfiring problems too.

Worst case, it's a broken or burnt exhaust valve, but you'd have more symptoms with that. It'll be interesting to see what happens at the dealer.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I love the net!

Steve and Danny are on the way to Suz. I'm updating albums and reading these threads for more info. Already posted at the trip thread, all rubber appears good and intact, haven't pulled the plugs for a look-see yet. He's been running regular, gonna switch to premium and see if that helps.

I checked #1 last night and it's still fully connected, need a mirror to see #2. Will do that shortly.

Bike seems to run fine and low mileage could be partly the wide load and large rider at 80 MPG on the Qota yesterday. I would'a expected ~45 tho, am I dreaming?

LipSTick is doing best at about that rate, higher even at speeds. Danny is right behind with his newer motor but 93 carbs 'n cams. Not gonna let a mechanical glitch slow us down. Much. Check out time is 1PM (central) so we gotta a couplehours to figure it all out and then we'll be back on the road.

Just posted my album links to the trip thread.

Thanks for the input, we're on it. Don't know when we'll find web again but will post updates soonest.

Luv to all, see ya soon. SPOT know where we are at all times. :spot1:

Kreis, thanks for the angels. :ang1 (BTW, do you recall a guy from Chattanooga named Lightening Larry Johnson? Made a lot of claims as he analyzed Steve's moto-problem on Wednesday. Ex-pat, been down here 12 years, claims familial ties to the NASCAR Johbsons.)

Top Bottom