Help needed with psi in new Z6s

just installed the new Z6s - front and rear - guys at the shop recommend 40 rear - 36 front - i see Metzeler recommend 36 and 34 for the '05 model - mine is an '06 but i guess they would be the same - after being used to the 42 front and rear of the 020's i am a little unsure what i should be running - any opinions?

cheers Angus

I had the Z6 on the front and the M880 on the rear and ran the recommended (by the owners manual) 42 psi in them. I had no problems and got 10,000 miles out of them.

Good luck.

I found (on an ST11 with ST13 tyres sizes) that 40 front and 42 rear were good. 36 in the front felt a bit loose and it was tending towards scalloping. Some prefer 42 front and back and get good mileage, so you could just keep doing that.

I found the handling to be fine at 42 psi. I didn't really do any experimenting with other psi levels because I never felt the need to. My preferred riding is twisty country roads.

Good luck, Brian

Bike
GL1800 2015
this isnt too far off subject, but does anyone know how to tell just how many miles are left on this tire!?... the groves are on the side...and the middle of the tire is smooth...
anyone else have this problem or is it just me :nuts1:

samal

sport-touring wannabee
this isnt too far off subject, but does anyone know how to tell just how many miles are left on this tire!?... the groves are on the side...and the middle of the tire is smooth...
anyone else have this problem or is it just me :nuts1:
when you see the cord, its time:eek:

Yep, when you see the cords. I have heard that the Z6 can quickly get down to the cords, so I swapped mine out at the same time as the front tyre, as it seemed to be done.

OP
OP
STOnkin'aussie
How'd the ride go? I have 42 in both of mine and have had no problems.
i was most impressed with the tyres ability to absorb small bumps and irregularities in the road - seems they offer a softer ride than the B020's...as for handling - did not appear to turn in quite as easy as oem's but the difference was very slight.

very stable and confidence inspiring but in all honesty, i did not ride as hard as i could have so will need to spend some more time with them before offering a definative view. prima facie - they appear to be on a par with the Bridgestones.

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #
Best of luck, I think that once you start pushing them in the corners a bit you'll like them. For really spirited riding (race track style) you may wish to lower the pressure a bit. The additional flexing heats them up faster and improves traction. Following this advice will ensure you never see anywhere close to the 10,000 miles reported by Bribak. I got about 9,000 miles on my first set. I ride mine 42 front and rear all the time. I like spirited riding, but seriously doubt that I approach the envelope where lowering the tire pressure is really necessary. Since I commute on my bike the sad fact is that I spend a lot of time in straight line riding on superslab. I could save a lot of money changing tires if I'd run Dunlop 220 all the time. But I live for the weekends and the twisties, can't say that Dunlops inspire all that much confidence.

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #
main reason i decided to go with the matched pair rather than the 880 rear.
Angus,

Years ago, one of my fellow motorcycle riders and a good friend asked me why I always bought the sticky tires and accepted the lower mileage. I told him that when my life depends on two credit card sized patches of rubber I wanted the best I could afford. I do on ocassion drive pretty agressively in the twisties, but truthfully I doubt that I approach the envelop where the better tires make all that much of a difference. I do however commute 20 miles to work each day (one way) where good traction and sudden braking and swerving may be required at a moments notice. I'm talking about Southern California traffic. That's when you escape or bleed depending on the choices you make.

Regards,

STOC #
I agree Dana, I put some cheaper high mileage tires on my Sabre 1 time. I took them back within a week, went from paying roughly 58 per tire to 126 per tire. I swore I would never ever worry about mileage on motorcycle tires again. I don't ride agressive all the time, but the sticky will be there if and when I need it.
Everytime I buy tires, they always try to sell the cheap tires to me? I'm beginning to think I look like I have a deathwish or something?

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
STonkin'aussie, I agree with Dana on the Z6's. I have an 1100 and it's taken a little while to figure out what works best for bike but it seems to be 42 psi frt & rr. I had to change the rear shock setting and slight preload, but man the Z6's really stick. I'm commiting to corners at speeds that I would have never attempted on the oem bias tires.....what a blast. BTW I had to put a couple of heat cycles in the 6's before I felt like taking corners laying down :cool:

Ride safe......EJ :D

Top Bottom